Taking guests into Queens Grill..

QM2 fan

Is it possible? We are travelling TA in QG,and we have friends onboard travelling in Britannia. Wondered what the chances were of hosting them for dinner one night in QG??

Also,does anyone have a link for the QG menus-particularly breakfast?

Thanks in advance.

Cunard will not allow you to entertain guests in the QG from Brittania restaurant, we asked when we in PG and were told that this was not possible even for guests in the top priced QG suites. Todd English is a good alternative. There is a link to the QG breakfast menu on the Cunard main site in the Queen Mary section under "Dining". Enjoy your trip we have been TA on both the QM and QV and enjoyed them both.

Hello Sailor! (Sorry-couldn't resist!)

Thanks for that-I have found the menu links...it's just that I read a trip review from someone in QG,who talked about taking guests into QG for dinner...maybe it was allowed once, but not now??

PS..I was in Brighton yesterday, and I chatted to a member of staff in Debenhams wearing a QE2 shirt-wasn't you was it??

No, it wasn't me although strangely I was in Brighton Debenhams yesterday but not that side of the counter! As for taking quests into Grills restaurant it is a Cunard policy not to allow it as far as I can ascertain but you never know if the Maitre'd is in a good mood you might be lucky! Worth a try. It would be interesting to know if anybody has beeen successful.

Is it possible? We are travelling TA in QG,and we have friends onboard travelling in Britannia. Wondered what the chances were of hosting them for dinner one night in QG??

It is nice that you wish to dine with your friends. This will be quite possible, and the Queens' Grill Maitre'D will be pleased to make the necessary arrangements for you to dine together.

In Britannia.

... Also,does anyone have a link for the QG menus-particularly breakfast?

Thanks in advance.

Here are all the QG menus from our 13-day cruise last November. The breakfast menu doesn't change from day to day. Bon voyage and bon appétit!

Ha ha....I have definately read a TR though where someone took guests into QG...

TR?

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. I have seen a cruise director turned away from the Queens' Grill as he wasn't a four stripe officer.

Why should you be able to take guests in?

Also,does anyone have a link for the QG menus-particularly breakfast?

Thanks in advance.

Asked the same question of my butler last November re dining in the stateroom with guests - his reply was that is was not possible, but suggested the other venues - Lotus, La Piazza, Chef's Galley, and Todd English as mentined above

Had a truly spectacular dinner in La Piazza that voyage with friends in Britannia - a far better meal than the one in Todd English. Decor in Todd English won out but the food in La Piazza topped Todd's IMHO

Bon appetite!

Is it possible? We are travelling TA in QG,and we have friends onboard travelling in Britannia. Wondered what the chances were of hosting them for dinner one night in QG?.

On QE2, as a "Caronia Grade" passenger (old "First Class"), I was invited into the Queens Grill Lounge by passengers travelling in QG for drinks and canapes on a formal night. I enjoyed the experience, wonderful atmosphere. However, when time for dinner approached (and we were, of course, all on "open seating" for the evening meal, unlike two seating Britannia on QM2) I retreated down two decks to my restaurant while my friends merely walked forward to theirs...

I know of others, on QM2, who have been invited into the Grills Lounge, but never got into the restaurant...

During the QE2 voyage I mentioned, I invited my "QG" friends to lunch in the Caronia Restaurant with me on one day, so, as you wish, we could dine together. They thought the service there was vastly superior to their own restaurant, they couldn't praise my dining room stewards enough.

Interestingly, when we saw each other's cabins (on a mini "cabin cavalcade") the only difference between mine and theirs was... they had two wardrobes, I had one. Otherwise Identical. Oh, they were one deck higher, and had paid a great deal more...

On the December 2004 crossing of QE2 I was invited by a new friend to dine in Caronia for dinner (I was in Mauretania) and no one said a word. That said, it was a very rough sea day/night and the room was only 1/3 full. Maybe under more normal circumstances I would've been turned away. It was my first crossing, so I didn't realize that this was not the norm...

I disembarked off QM2's world tour last week in Auckland. 53 days of pure bliss - magnificent.

It is not possible to take Britannia guests into Princess or Queen's Grill restaurant or indeed their bar. However, Britannia guests can invite their Princess/Queen's Grill friends into Britannia if they arrange it with either their waiter or the head waiter. We did this very successfully.

Happy sailing.

We had drinks about 5 evenings in the Queens grill lounge (invited by friends) we also spent some time on the sunloungers in their area and were never challenged. Don't think they allow guests for dinner though.

On QE2, as a "Caronia Grade" passenger (old "First Class"), I was invited into the Queens Grill Lounge by passengers travelling in QG for drinks and canapes on a formal night. I enjoyed the experience, wonderful atmosphere.

At one time the Queen's Grill Lounge was available to all first class passengers, even those assigned to the then Columbia Restaurant. We found the QGL on the QE2 to be quite special. Last year we travelled Princess Grill on the QM2 and we didn't find the QGL to be particularly special, although it certainly is pleasant and not always crowded. We took one afternoon tea there and, whilst the selection of teas was considerable, the rest of the "goodies" were the same as in the Queen's Room. Whenever the string quartet or harpist were entertaining at tea in the Queen's Room, we went there. Overall it was more enjoyable. There was, however, one aspect of the QGL that we thoroughly enjoyed: on three evenings there were classical concerts after dinner.

We disembarked from QM2 in Sydney last week. We had a PG1 cabin. We mentioned to the Maitre D' about meeting friends from the Brittania Dining room for drinks one night and he asked whether we would like to invite them into Princess Grills. We said yes, he arranged a table for four (our usual table was table 1 - for two people) and the rest is history. Our friends had a wonderful time.

So it certainly can be done.

Thank you all-seems to be a bit of a grey area-maybe it depends who you ask...

Why not slip them a few greenbacks and see what happens.....

A friend told me a tale of upstairs and low and behold the no became a yes later on, Sadly they didnt enjoy the experience...

It does happen. I know people that have visited. Much depends on how well the parties are known and how frequently they travel. For instance, one person who normall travels QG was unable to obtain a booking and was allowed in ONCE to dine with friends.

Stewart

Asked the same question of my butler last November re dining in the stateroom with guests - his reply was that is was not possible, but suggested the other venues - Lotus, La Piazza, Chef's Galley, and Todd English as mentined above

Bon appetite!

You mean to say, if you are occupying one of the top QG suites of the ship, you cannot invite Brittania passengers to a private dinner party in your suite?

You mean to say, if you are occupying one of the top QG suites of the ship, you cannot invite Brittania passengers to a private dinner party in your suite?

Yes, of course you can, just not in the Grill dining room.

Has it not been suggested, at least once or twice, that QM2 is a 'classless' ship. I can neither afford PG /QG nor do I wish to confine myself to a particular dining room, thereby missing out on the opportunity of meeting likeminded people who are on the ship for the experience & sheer fun of getting to know new 'friends'?:confused:

Archived