Taking guests into Queens Grill..

QM2 fan

Has it not been suggested, at least once or twice, that QM2 is a 'classless' ship. I can neither afford PG /QG nor do I wish to confine myself to a particular dining room, thereby missing out on the opportunity of meeting likeminded people who are on the ship for the experience & sheer fun of getting to know new 'friends'?:confused:

It is exactly the same as any airline. You will not be permitted to wander into First Class, or even Business Class if travelling Economy.

Apart from the staterooms, which vary in size, the dining rooms are the only places aboard that segregate the 3 levels.

Has it not been suggested, at least once or twice, that QM2 is a 'classless' ship. I can neither afford PG /QG nor do I wish to confine myself to a particular dining room, thereby missing out on the opportunity of meeting likeminded people who are on the ship for the experience & sheer fun of getting to know new 'friends'?:confused:

Are you saying that folk who travel QG are not there for sheer fun?? I know I am...and we are still in touch with the friends we met while dining PG in 2006!You seem to be saying QG are snobs who sit 2 to a table!Wrong!

It is exactly the same as any airline. You will not be permitted to wander into First Class, or even Business Class if travelling Economy.

'Cept it happens a lot...I used to be crew and people often wander up after take off and try and sit in a free business class seat..

'Cept it happens a lot...I used to be crew and people often wander up after take off and try and sit in a free business class seat..

How successful were they? or did you just "politely" tell them to move their butts?

One the QE2 my grandparents and I were in Queen's Grill and one of our single female friends was in the Mauretania. One night we went to the Captain's cocktail party and she was a little late for her seating so we asked if she could join us and at first they said only grill passengers but then they came back and said just don't go spreading it around and she ate with us. However that was the QE2 where there was more familiarity and I suspect different rules with the new ships. They can only say no if you ask though. Perhaps ask later on in the cruise when you have had a chance to warm up to the maitre'd. If not, I dined in the Britannia on the QV so you could ask to go down to them or of course there's the option of a themed night booking in the Lido or Todd English. You could have a party in the cabin too!

TR?

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. I have seen a cruise director turned away from the Queens' Grill as he wasn't a four stripe officer.

Why should you be able to take guests in?

Actually, I seem to recall (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) that at one time even the commander of the QE2 could not dine in the QG unless (and only if) he were invited by a QG passenger. And he was IT.

We are traveling with family in two Princess suites this summer.

I put in for our cabin that we would be open to an upgrade. I was told if our stateroom does get upgraded to a QG suite but the other one does not we can still all eat together in the Princess Grill.

The woman at Cunard said you can go down a restaurant but not up.

So can we eat in PG if we are in a QG suite?

We don't want to be separated for dinner.

I did have dinner one night in QG in Jan 09 on QM2 with friends--I was in Britannia. :) In fact, others joined these same friends--one each evening and one or two for lunch. It took some gentle persuasion on the part of our QG friends but it did happen.

Archived