NCL questions

Hi all,

We are considering booking a cruise on NCL Sun because of the itinerary and I wanted to ask a food question.

I am a diabetic and was wondering - does NCL offer different foods and sugar-free desserts in the Main Dining Room for diabetics each night?

Also, which cruise line do you more closely compare NCL to? We were on the Majesty (small ship) a few years ago and it seems that we remember that the food wasn't quite as good as other cruise lines. I would like to hear your opinions about NCL before I book.

Your help is much appreciated,

Pamm

I agree, the food is not as good as the other lines, and the Freestyle dining is different than the other lines, but otherwise it is similar to the other lines.

Since you cruised NCL a few years ago, you know how the Freestyle dining works.

I, too, did not think the food was good on NCL Majesty. But it was wonderful on Dawn and Pride of America!

Perhaps if you go to the board for special needs you will find some specific experiences about diabetic food besides what will be said here. I know when there are food allergies they ask you to get in contact with either the maitre 'd when you board, or make arrangements beforehand so they know not to put sugar, for instance, in a sauce, for you.

I have seen sugar free desserts on the ships. Just be careful when it says, "no sugar added" which may still have enough natural sugars from the fruit etc. to set you off.

Hopefully another diabetic will chime in soon and tell his/her experience with how his/her diet was handled on board.

Hi all' date='

We are considering booking a cruise on NCL Sun because of the itinerary and I wanted to ask a food question.

I am a diabetic and was wondering - does NCL offer different foods and sugar-free desserts in the Main Dining Room for diabetics each night?

Also, which cruise line do you more closely compare NCL to? We were on the Majesty (small ship) a few years ago and it seems that we remember that the food wasn't quite as good as other cruise lines. I would like to hear your opinions about NCL before I book.

Your help is much appreciated,

Pamm[/quote']

Email the special needs desk at accessdesk@ncl.com and let them know when you are sailing and that you have diabetes. They will let the ship know and tell you who you should talk to when you board.

OP.. being diabetic I can assure you I have experienced many of NCL's sugar free desserts and they are usually wonderful. Sometimes better than the sugar filled ones. Often if I get a sugar free one I will taste my DDP's sugar filled one and like mine more. DO BE CAREFUL as Phylis said. I have also had a "no sugar added" dessert in the buffet of the Pearl that made me sick as a dog because it had so much sugar already in it. I don't know how or where they could have added sugar to it..LOL. But to get back to your main question, yes, you will have a lot of great sugar free desserts and if my memory serves me right, I even remember them having sugar free ice cream in the areas where they serve ice cream by the scoop (locations vary by ship and also you might even find it on the menus.)

If you are able to splurge on a sugar filled dessert, I suggest saving that for one of the dessert souffles. TO DIE FOR. Also, one of the best desserts I have ever had in my life was the sugar free Panna Cota on the Dawn. Hopefully they will have that for you on the Sun.

I have also had a "no sugar added" dessert in the buffet of the Pearl that made me sick as a dog because it had so much sugar already in it.

White flour is converted by the body into blood sugar at the same rate as sugar is, so cakes, some pancakes, white bread French toast, etc., can be as much of a problem as a sugar-added dessert.

Archived