underwater camera options??

rjmontana

We have a couple good digital camera's and a flip video to take for land use but need some options for some underwater pics on a couple of excursions. I don't really want to buy another expensive camera so....Do they make disposable camera's that are made to be submerged??

Yes they do, I just got one for $9.99 at Wal-Mart. You can find them at any drug store in the camera/film developing department. I've used them before and the take really good pictures. The two I'm taking on our 4/3 cruise on the NCL POA to Hawaii are Kodak Sport disposable ones. They are waterproof to 15m/50ft. They are rugged and have a shock resistant shell. Like I said, they take good pictures!:D

Wal Mart also sells an inexpensive ($40?) digital underwater camera. It takes more pictures than the disposable one and you don't have to have the pictures developed in order to look at them.

Yes they do, I just got one for $9.99 at Wal-Mart. You can find them at any drug store in the camera/film developing department. I've used them before and the take really good pictures. The two I'm taking on our 4/3 cruise on the NCL POA to Hawaii are Kodak Sport disposable ones. They are waterproof to 15m/50ft. They are rugged and have a shock resistant shell. Like I said, they take good pictures!:D

They take great pictures. DH has an EOS Digital with all the bells & whistles, and he was amazed at how clear the Kodak Underwater Disposable pic's were. We get 2 or 3 of them for the kids when we take a family cruise and they have a blast with them. :)

Just a note, on the disposable underwater cameras, they do take pretty good pictures in bright light but they don't have a flash so they do not work well indoors so try not to use it in place of your regular camera, just for the underwater pics. I work in photo developing.

we got a digital underwater camera at best buy for $100, the Olympus Stylus. We go on quite a few trips, so for us it was worth the $$$. And it takes great pictures on land too. It has a special underwater setting so the color is great! Here's a few pics!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We have a couple good digital camera's and a flip video to take for land use but need some options for some underwater pics on a couple of excursions. I don't really want to buy another expensive camera so....Do they make disposable camera's that are made to be submerged??

I have been looking around for the same thing. And as the others have said, it depends on what you are willing to spend and what you consider "good" photos. There are several digital cameras that are made to withstand being submerged in water between 10' and 30' - I would think that is plenty deep enough if you are snorkeling or swimming. Vivitar also makes a digital camera (Vivitar Aquashot) that I have seen at Target that sells for $25 and can take 152 pics.

They also make underwater housings that are designed to fit the digital camera that you already have. They typically sell for around $50-$75. I have one for my Olympus digital camera.

Can you provide more info on this? Are you talking about the bags or the plastic cases? I have a Nikon S550 and the housing (case) made for this camera is more expensive than the camera.

we got a digital underwater camera at best buy for $100, the Olympus Stylus. We go on quite a few trips, so for us it was worth the $$$. And it takes great pictures on land too. It has a special underwater setting so the color is great! Here's a few pics!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Wow, those are amazing!:D Thanks for sharing!

I have been looking around for the same thing. And as the others have said, it depends on what you are willing to spend and what you consider "good" photos. There are several digital cameras that are made to withstand being submerged in water between 10' and 30' - I would think that is plenty deep enough if you are snorkeling or swimming. Vivitar also makes a digital camera (Vivitar Aquashot) that I have seen at Target that sells for $25 and can take 152 pics.

Can you provide more info on this? Are you talking about the bags or the plastic cases? I have a Nikon S550 and the housing (case) made for this camera is more expensive than the camera.

I'm talking about the plastic cases and the one I bought for my Olympus camera cost $65. You can operate all of the same controls you can without the case.

The disposable digital cameras are only good to shallow depth, and really only useful in 15 feet of water or so because the real issue (other than being waterproof) is that you need a flash to bring out the colors. The water will make everything very green, and you will not even see the colors that are there sometimes without the brilliance of a flash. The problem increases with depth, and though your visibility may be very good in say the Caribbean, the photographic response will be affected.

I presume the question is really asked for someone going snorkeling, and one of the disposables will work OK at those depths. If you are thinking of more than that, however, think about renting an underwater camera and flash.

Archived