Sending cruise employees postcards?

MommeeBear25

I recently went on my first cruise. The service was spectacular and I wrote this down on my comment card, including names of staff that particularly stood out. Anyway...a couple I was talking to (who have done 30+ cruises) told me that I should send postcards to the staff that were really great, because this is sort of a status for them or something to be proud of for good service. What does anyone else think? I really appreciate the service and kindness, but I guess I figured that's what they are trained and employed to do, and no staff is going to remember me or want to hear from me later. I thought this was odd, so I wanted to inquire with the cruise pro's on this board. Thanks! By the way...I love the board! I really enjoy reading all the posts and seeing the pictures. Can't wait to book my next cruise!

I recently went on my first cruise. The service was spectacular and I wrote this down on my comment card, including names of staff that particularly stood out. Anyway...a couple I was talking to (who have done 30+ cruises) told me that I should send postcards to the staff that were really great, because this is sort of a status for them or something to be proud of for good service. What does anyone else think? I really appreciate the service and kindness, but I guess I figured that's what they are trained and employed to do, and no staff is going to remember me or want to hear from me later. I thought this was odd, so I wanted to inquire with the cruise pro's on this board. Thanks! By the way...I love the board! I really enjoy reading all the posts and seeing the pictures. Can't wait to book my next cruise!

I would not send a postcard....the only thing i would send is a picture i took of them ...i would make a extra copy and send it off with a thank you letter and i thought you might like a copy of this picture type thing...but if you insist on a postcard make one out of his pitcure...

I'm guessing that a letter of commendation, sent to the cruise line headquarters, that could be placed in the employees HR file, would be more appreciated.

I'm wondering if instead what your friend meant was that you should -- before you leave the ship -- fill out the comment cards (which are the size of a post card) that you'll find on the desk area of your cabin, noting the employee's name and what they did that was outstanding. THOSE do have some bearing on their employee records.

We always fill out the comment card. As far as postcards to the help, I don't get it.

Treat them with respect, tip them with money, fill out the card and forget trying to make them part of some friendship circle. Just my thoughts.;)

Well put. I think some people mistakenly believe that the friendliness shown on board is personal. It is their job, not an attempt to become BFFs. An hour after you leave they will show the same friendliness and respect to their new customers. Just another expression of how good they are at their jobs.

I don't think that all cruise employees have no desire to become friends with people on some level. Why venture out on a cruise to see the world and meet new people if the people you connect with you forget the day the leave? We had fabulous service and conversations with our headwaitress this past cruise and at the end of the week she asked if we were on facebook because she'd like us to send her a friend request. I think some people are friendly because it's their job, but I also believe some people are sincere.

Would I send a postcard? Probably not. However, I already stopped the Maitre'D the last night of our cruise and raved on her, and I'm in the process of writing a letter to corporate to detail her hard work.

Man...I wouldn't even begin to know where to send something to a cruise line employee if I tried. It's a nice thought, but people think a bit too hard sometimes.

Postcard :confused: That's just odd.

I believe your thoughts are spot on! They did their job. You went a step beyond most cruisers by showing your appreciation (for a job well done) on the comment card.

Now on to more important things--you have a cruise to book. :) Congrats on your first!!!

.... Why venture out on a cruise to see the world and meet new people if the people you connect with you forget the day the leave? ...

Do you go to a restaurant to meet the staff? Do they go each night to meet the customers? If the venturer you are talking about are the staff- they venture out because they got a good job. If the customers- I might be interested in making friends with the other customers I meet. If I want to meet and truly connect with people like the staff members I would travel to their home countries where we could meet on a more equal playing field. What is going on between staff and customers on board ship is not between equals because of the relative positions. That is why you pay and they work.

We always fill out the comment card. As far as postcards to the help, I don't get it.

Treat them with respect, tip them with money, fill out the card and forget trying to make them part of some friendship circle. Just my thoughts.;)

I agree all they want is a tip and a good comment on the card to help them with promotion :D

Do you go to a restaurant to meet the staff? Do they go each night to meet the customers? If the venturer you are talking about are the staff- they venture out because they got a good job. If the customers- I might be interested in making friends with the other customers I meet. If I want to meet and truly connect with people like the staff members I would travel to their home countries where we could meet on a more equal playing field. What is going on between staff and customers on board ship is not between equals because of the relative positions. That is why you pay and they work.

With the transfer rate of the dollar to Euros, our headwaitress doesn't make nearly as much comparatively to many of the other workers on the ship who are from less affluent countries. She's been doing it for nine years because she loves the experiences and the people she encounters. (I think I'll take her word on her motivation as opposed to yours. I think she might know herself a bit better.) She's getting burned out and is only staying another year but that is understandable. She was telling us how some of the other staff can buy houses, new cars, and pay for their child's education after working onboard for a few years. Given the exchange rate, many Europeans aren't making off nearly as well as you might guess. She believes that before long Europeans on staff will become scarce because it's not as valuable to them as many others.

As for the "equals" comment...you can never convince me that I am superior to another human being just because they are working somewhere I paid to be. That may be how you feel, but perhaps that is part of the problem to begin with.

As for the "equals" comment...you can never convince me that I am superior to another human being just because they are working somewhere I paid to be. That may be how you feel, but perhaps that is part of the problem to begin with.

It has nothing to do with being equal- it has to do with one's position on a cruise. As a customer you are a customer. You do not serve the food nor make the beds. You have not a lot invested in keeping people happy except being nice. The staff, on the other hand, have a livelihood to maintain. If you have a bad day, you have a bad day. If a staff member has a bad day, they could lose their job. You have the right to complain about staff. Short of abuse, they do not have the right to complain about you. That is why I believe that if you really want to meet people you need to meet in situations where your status is equal.

And yes, I would agree that there are some people on board for the adventure- but they are in the vast minority. Most people working on a cruise ship do it for the money- from what one hears, it is a difficult job.

Archived