Flexible dining options

rcha

Have been on NCL cruise so know their dining options but want to try another cruise line. My wife and I like the ability to choose when we eat and like a mix of buffets and quality dining options.

What cruise lines would people recommend that provide this flexibility. Do not mind paying extra sometimes but would also appreciate the flexibility in main dining rooms.

Thanks

Rcha

I have been on both Princess and Carnival which offer flexible anytime dining (Most carnival does) menues do not vary just the dining rooms, unless you go to the specialty restaurants. I did not do extra fee restaurants as the dining room and buffet is sufficient for my family....I just preferred the flexibility in dining time

I think almost every mass-market cruiseline offers some form of "anytime" dining now...and you don't HAVE to eat in the main dining room....they have "pay per use" restaurants, and there's always the buffet.... (not my taste, but some love it!)..and room service is always an option...

There are plenty of eating venues on every cruiseline!

As you can see by our cruises we have mainly cruised on Holland. We made the mistake of trying NCL last year and were disgusted with the quality of the food, the experience of the waiters and that the food came cool to our table. After the 4th night we switched to the buffet for the 1st time in our cruising history. Not much better there with beef cooked well done as if they were serving a bunch of blue collar workers who had no idea of how to cook and serve beef. The Chinese never had any meat in it. They hid (Yes HID) the shrimp cocktails, even the late night comedian commented on that. Around the 15th night I spotted someone eating pasta and asked him where he had gotten it and he responded from the pasta station. I said where was the pasta station and he pointed to the blank glass wall between the burned hamburgers and the dried out pizza. He told me to get the attendants attention and reach over my head with my plate and pass it over the glass wall and I could get pasta. There were no signs and the attendant didn't make eye contact or let you know that he was there to cook you pasta. What a wonderful way to run a buffet. You will find that if you use Holland they will serve you a complete breakfast in your room, not just pastries as on NCL. You have the choice of "Freestyle" or "Formal sittings' for dinner. You can also on Holland use the main dinning room for both breakfast and lunch. You will also find out that hamburgers are not cooked until they are black on the bottom. You will also find out that if you use a table for more than one night the waiter will remember your likes and dislikes.:)

• 2 weeks later...

On our last cruise (Coral Princess) we tired Anytime Dining and we did

not like it. If we made reservations the day before, we were still fixed

to a certain time.

On our previous three cruises, we have done Fixed Time (Late) and

requested a table for two. On our upcoming cruise (this Sunday) we

are going back to Fixed Time (Late) and a table for two. Once we

entered the ship, we always check with the Main Dining Room to

verify our time and table size.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the anytime dining option on my Dream Med cruise. With such a port intencsive itinerary it was perfect. My friend and I only had to wait for a table one night since we went right after the show, as did a lot of other people. We never made a reservation, just went to the MDR when we chose to. The service was just as good as the set time dining and the staff would always wave or say hi if we were not at their station the next night. I would love to do it on every cruise.

Also did this option on the Navigator with 2 other couples and it worked quite well.

Oasis of the Seas has the most incredible dining options at sea right now - I believe there are a total of 17 restaurants onboard, plus the chef's table. You do have to make reservations for most of the specialty restaurants - but they are like small land based restaurants. We just went in March and never even ate in the Main dining room at all. It was probably the best ship experience we have ever had - and even though there were 6,000 passengers onboard, the ship felt less crowded than smaller ships we've been on.

Archived