Gander, Newfoundland........ Does a cruise

sail7seas

Add me to the list hoping for a 14 day round trip from Boston to Iceland, Greenland, and Labrador/Newfoundland. It seems that this would be a no-brainer for the planners at Corporate. A totally new itinerary that would be totally unique in a very crowded business. They wouldn't have to pioneer any ports, since there are many to choose from that are vastly underserved. This could be for the East what Alaska is to the West.

My first big ship cruise stopped in Corner Brook. A man had his Newfoundland dog greeting cruise passengers coming off the ship. What a massive, gentle, jolly beastie he was (the dog, not the man!) Got a kick out of his webbed paws.

Was this the same guy? :)

We were there last September.

DSC05449.jpg.5dd91dd53117645784a2ff0b91c97cc4.jpg

Uh, I dunno. The cruise was some years ago. Truthfully, I remember the dog, but the guy was just background:o

I was at Corner Brook in 2007 (off the NCL Dawn), a great port, and sure enough, there was one of those dogs greeting passengers, although that time it was handled by a woman who sat on a bench in front of one of the tourist craft shops in the village.

She was very happy to pose with her beautiful dog for photo's, and didn't at all mind accepting gratuities for that.;)

I also watched the Tom Brokaw special on MSNBC about Gander and their response to 9/11. What a heart warming story !! The people of Newfoundland should all be sainted for the loving and open arms they gave to all the stranded passengers. I especially liked the story of the Brit gentleman and American woman who found love during such a tragic time...beautiful. :)

My father was a pilot during WWII (P38 Lightning) but I'm sure he never had the pleasure of being in Gander as he was stationed in the South Pacific theatre. It's too bad he didn't get to experience the warmth of the people there. My first visit to Canada was in May '09 and I can't say enough about the lovely people I met in the beautiful city of Vancouver. After watching Brokaw's special, I'm rethinking my summer cruise to Alaska might need to be rerouted to a New England / Canada route. I'm really getting a warm fussy "family" feeling from our northern neighbors in the northeast and would like to visit more of your spectacular country.

To the people of Newfoundland --Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spreading out the welcome mat to the unexpected and misplaced strangers flooding Gander on 9/11. The way you came together and accommodated them with sleeping arrangements, food, and all other necessities put the U.S FEMA efforts in New Orleans after Katrina to shame. Of course, Kartina brought especially challenging times, but on a 1 to 10 scale, FEMA would get a 1 and Gander would get a 10+.

I have learned that the people of Newfoundland are a very special breed. I sincerely hope I have the pleasure to visit this special place some day soon.

I also watched the Tom Brokaw special on MSNBC about Gander and their response to 9/11. What a heart warming story !! The people of Newfoundland should all be sainted for the loving and open arms they gave to all the stranded passengers. I especially liked the story of the Brit gentleman and American woman who found love during such a tragic time...beautiful. :)

My father was a pilot during WWII (P38 Lightning) but I'm sure he never had the pleasure of being in Gander as he was stationed in the South Pacific theatre. It's too bad he didn't get to experience the warmth of the people there. My first visit to Canada was in May '09 and I can't say enough about the lovely people I met in the beautiful city of Vancouver. After watching Brokaw's special, I'm rethinking my summer cruise to Alaska might need to be rerouted to a New England / Canada route. I'm really getting a warm fussy "family" feeling from our northern neighbors in the northeast and would like to visit more of your spectacular country.

To the people of Newfoundland --Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spreading out the welcome mat to the unexpected and misplaced strangers flooding Gander on 9/11. The way you came together and accommodated them with sleeping arrangements, food, and all other necessities put the U.S FEMA efforts in New Orleans after Katrina to shame. Of course, Kartina brought especially challenging times, but on a 1 to 10 scale, FEMA would get a 1 and Gander would get a 10+.

I have learned that the people of Newfoundland are a very special breed. I sincerely hope I have the pleasure to visit this special place some day soon.

Amen to that! :)

We had the great pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with several Newfie's on a cruise several years ago. We have our little bottle of Screech that we hang every year on our Christmas tree.

There is a wonderful poem about why they have their own time zone that's 1/2 hour ahead. I wish I could remember it.

The story on Gander should be seen by everyone - what great neighbors!screech-rum-200803-ss.jpg

Archived