Rental Car - Miami to Fort Lauderdale

Andrew9999

We have 3 nights in Miami (Biltmore Hotel) pre-cruise in August. We plan to collect a rental car at Miami airport, use it for 3 days, and then drive to Port Everglades to board Oasis of the Seas.

My question relates to dropping off the car at the Port. I have looked at various rental car websites (e.g. Hertz) and they do not seem clear to me whether you can actually return the car at the Port itself or some distance away in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to drop off a rental car at the port itself? If so, any idea which companies provide this facility? Are there any other "tips" for choosing a rental company? We are a family of 4 with 4 large cases and some hand luggage.

I guess the alternative would be to drop family and luggage at the port and then return the car downtown and get a taxi to the ship.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Andrew (in sunny London :))

The Biltmore is a lovely place.

There are a few rental car companies just outside the port, but the airport is only 2 miles away. With a family of four, it makes sense to drop off the luggage (and maybe 3 people) at the port first, then return the car and hop a free shuttle to the port. The best way to make sure there is a shuttle is to call the local car rental office directly. If not, cab fare should be under $15 from either location. According to another recent CC thread, the following airport location companies provide a shuttle after 11 AM: Alamo/National, Budget, Dollar, and Hertz

Archived