Cell Phone Service?

Hello All,

New to the site but I was wondering if anyone has any idea about the cell phone service on RCCL? On a past cruise with carnival they claimed we would have cell phone service but out of the 4 in our party with different carriers none of us had service. RCCL claims their ships have an "advanced roaming network on all ships" We are booked on Enchantment of the Seas and hope to be able to connect with family back home while at sea! Any info on your experience with cell phone service would be great!

Thanks. :)

Yes Royal Caribbean ships have cell towers. You need to check with your cell carrier though to see what the charges will be for using your cell phone onboard. I have AT&T for example and they charge $2.49 per minute for using it onboard a ship.

Here's a link to RCI Enchantment:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do;jsessionid=0000MS3SF70YZnsHNwkGpaLjexa:12h3g0fq2?exCode=805&shipCode=EN

Also the Cellular at sea website: http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm#rci

We've had Alltel (now Verizon) for years and have been using RCI's cellular phone service at sea first on Jewel in 07 , then on Mariner and Freedom on both Western and Eastern itineraries with no problems. You should make sure your cellular carrier is a Cellular at Sea partner and also make sure your international roaming is activated. While at sea you will be paying international roaming rates, which last year, was around $2.49 / minute for my carrier. While in port, the ship's WMS is turned off, and you are subject to the rates for whatever country you are in. Hope that helps....

Here's a link to RCI Enchantment:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do;jsessionid=0000MS3SF70YZnsHNwkGpaLjexa:12h3g0fq2?exCode=805&shipCode=EN

Also the Cellular at sea website: http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm#rci

We've had Alltel (now Verizon) for years and have been using RCI's cellular phone service at sea first on Jewel in 07 , then on Mariner and Freedom on both Western and Eastern itineraries with no problems. You should make sure your cellular carrier is a Cellular at Sea partner and also make sure your international roaming is activated. While at sea you will be paying international roaming rates, which last year, was around $2.00 / minute for my carrier. While in port, the ship's WMS is turned off, and you are subject to the rates for whatever country you are in. Hope that helps....

Verizon does not charge anything extra over the $2.49 per minute. International roaming is free. Just call them and have it put on your account. When you turn the phone on, it will give you a message that you are on Cellular at Sea. It's a better idea to wait until you get into port.

You can check if there will be coverage at the ports by going to verizonwireless/international

I have an international phone from Verizon because we have been doing quite a bit of European travel. It has a GSM chip so it works on both CDMA (native Verizon) and GSM.

Verizon also has some interesting short-term rental programs for 21 days or less that let you keep your normal cell number. I did a lot of research on this a couple of years ago for a long European trip. The phone was only $50 with the new phone every two years program, but they also have some that are free now. There is no charge for international roaming and you will only pay per minute for incoming and outgoing calls and for text messages. Check it out.

You need to call your carrier. At&t charges in addition to the 2.49 per minute. You have to check about roaming. I have heard of people with huge bills at the end of the week that left there phone on. The best thing to do is activate international calling rate and wait till you get in port away from the ship. It should be cheaper.

You need to call your carrier. At&t charges in addition to the 2.49 per minute. You have to check about roaming. I have heard of people with huge bills at the end of the week that left there phone on. The best thing to do is activate international calling rate and wait till you get in port away from the ship. It should be cheaper.

AT&T have never charged me over the $2.49 per min when I've used the ships tower, the main problem is people with data phones, that keep checking for email, updates etc, the data charge is very expensive and this is what results in huge bills

If you have Verizon, they have a 'global data package'. The monthly charge is $65.00 +/- for one month - but it can be prorated for the week. It allows unlimited data (texts/email). If you do a search of this forum, there was quite a lengthy thread about 1 month ago about the Verizon package. I was also told by Verizon that while in port (if it is Mexico - which they considered domestic - not sure what your ports will be) the per minute charge was 99 cents. In any case, best to avoid NOT making/receiving calls while on the ship since the roaming charge per minute is a lot more. You should also call your cell phone carrier to inquire about the various packages and more clarification.

Hello All,

New to the site but I was wondering if anyone has any idea about the cell phone service on RCCL? On a past cruise with carnival they claimed we would have cell phone service but out of the 4 in our party with different carriers none of us had service. RCCL claims their ships have an "advanced roaming network on all ships" We are booked on Enchantment of the Seas and hope to be able to connect with family back home while at sea! Any info on your experience with cell phone service would be great!

Thanks. :)

I have Verizon and I was able to use my cell phone most of the time. I got a msg saying that is would be $2.49 x min and .50 per text msg. To my surprise, I was also able to access my broadband service and get on the internet.

Archived