We're Back! Cruisers1975 on SEA DREAM 1

Cruisers1975

Well, we had to do SOMETHING DELICIOUSLY DESPERATE to cleanse the palate after our last cruise (you may find it under HAL), and this was it!

We're back, now, with our live daily blog from aboard Sea Dream I as it leaves Barbados on a 9-day cruise to Puerto Rico.

I have to start with Day Minus Two, however, to set the pace: Bear with us ... The Cruise itself starts on Day One below

============

Day One minus Two

The Adventure begins. And already, I’ve done the unthinkable!

We started yesterday in Victoria, with that godforsakenly early non-stop to Toronto, where we met the family for drinks, and then more family for dinner, and enjoyed a night at the Delta Meadowvale, our first in that hotel, as it was convenient to the families and airport. Quite comfortable; we’ll do it again for one-night stands.

Then this morning, with Brother Anthony waiting on the curb, we were whisked to the airport to join what were surprisingly fast-moving lines on this, the start of March Break, and one of the heaviest travel days out of Toronto. We had two hours to spare, once through Security (hey! I got lucky this time: full pat down!), and made a new discovery. As we walked down the corridor towards the AAdmirals’ Club, where I have a lifetime membership, we found they have blocked that access. But, on this side of the barricade, a Premier Lounge, and it accepted Rog’s Platinum AmEx for admission, with guest, free! Bonus!

So, a full buffet breakfast later, we were enjoying free WiFi and Rog was catching up on client travel crises. We boarded our Westjet and enjoyed a comfortable non-stop trip to Barbados. The on-board entertainment system is currently not available. That’s usually how we catch up on movies, watching Blind Side and The Invention of Lying on the way into Toronto. No problem; I plugged in my iPhone to a constant replay of Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now (from the Vancouver Olympics) and drifted in and out of consciousness.

By four o’clock we were standing at Reception in the Accra Beach Lounge, filling out forms and drinking the complimentary Rum Punch (aptly named – it packs a wallop!). A quick stop in the room to drop our bags and long-sleeved shirts, and we headed to the pool and beach.

I found a comfortable chaise longue (yes, that is the way it’s spelled, dammit), while Rog paddled around in the ocean, and then the pool. And that’s when the Unthinkable happened.

Maybe it was the lure of the Pool Bar? Maybe it was just the Holiday Spirit? But the pull was too much, even for me, aquaphobic me. I returned to the room exchanged shorts for the always-packed-never-worn swimsuit, and dove in.

We enjoyed a couple more Rum Punches and a great pool-bar dinner of flying fish and greens. And that’s a pretty good start. Wet, but good.

Day One minus One

Sleepless nights for both. Catching up on emails and client requests from midnight till 3:00AM (11:00PM Victoria Time), then try again. Prayers to Morpheus finally answered, of course, about 10 minutes before the alarms were set. Meanwhile, Rog had already been down for a swim, only to discover that the pool doesn’t open till 9:30 and the ocean is closed till further notice (I assume; else, why didn’t he swim there?). He did return to the room with a styro cup of the worst excuse for coffee I’ve tasted since Second Cup, however.

We had a rental car delivered to the hotel this morning, and we were off on our adventure: Hotel Site Inspections. We were interrupted by a quick shopping stop on Broad Street in the capital, Bridgetown, where Rog looked longingly at an Omega watch in the Little Switzerland. Again and again. Until he wore me down. But don’t worry … I’m holding out for something even better!

We continued up the west coast, stopping by for a quick photo or two at a couple on our way, to Sandy Lane, the premier of Caribbean hotels, where Rog coincidently has a client in residence. Glynn gave us a tour of the rooms and facilities, and Michelle invited us to lunch – a lunch, I am told, that costs “normal people” 75 dollars; the debate rages whether it’s Bajan Dollars or Yankee Bux, but it’s still pricey, and worth at least the Bajan number! Buffet service of about every cuisine one could imagine, from Sushi to Church Picnic, Fish Fry to Barbecue.

We continued our self-drive mission around this Island Nation, getting lost about every second unmarked intersection, until we had seen another half dozen hotels, and found our own at the end of the day.

Again, the Demon Rum caused the collapse of my inhibitions. It was only later that I discovered a dry, back-passage access to the Pool Bar that meant I could imbibe without my body parts shriveling. But, alas, it was too late. I was already wet, and so, let’s drink!

Day One

Somehow I forgot to mention yesterday’s big shopping extravaganza. We stopped in Bridgetown for Rog to buy a map and drool over duty-free watches, both of which he consummated, the later being an Omega that well exceeds our return customs limit, and is accompanied by a box the size of a cantaloupe that can hardly be brushed off with an “oh, I always travel with my watch box” story. Nor is Rog anymore likely to let it slide overboard then he would part with the watch.

We both agree it’s a good investment, though. Rog, because the watch was about $700 less than in Canada, and me, because every time he gets impatient with me about anything, I just have to ask him what time it is, and he melts into a puddle of “I love my new watch.”

Now to today:

Confusion with Daylight Savings Time (Barbados doesn’t) or habit from Victoria, not sure which, but one or the other meant that Rog was awake at 5AM, and therefore, so was I. We took advantage of the early hour, the lack of Sunday traffic on the roads, the fact that we still had four hours left on our rental car, to – you guessed it – visit another dozen hotels. It also gave us the chance to get some more photos of the really cool little Chattel Houses that pepper the landscape, and to witness the parade Bajan locals in their finery on Sunday mornings.

We got back to the hotel in time to drop the car off, at which time the pool was open for swimming, which Rog enjoyed one more time with his 40 laps, as I drank in the delicious air conditioning in our room. Noon check out, and we headed to the Cruise Ship Terminal, too eager for our 2:00 PM check in to start The Cruise!

The Cruise Terminal is a shopping centre of duty free and souvenir tat, none of which appealed to us, so we sat it out, waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Windstar was already taking their new passengers aboard, and a docked Royal Caribbean behemoth was engorging and disgorging passengers to and from various buses of shore excursions, but our Sea Dream I sat serenely, divinely, aloof. As we sweated in the Cruise Terminal, amazed at just what a huge following Royal Caribbean had. I mean, they were really huge!

Finally, 2:00PM arrived, and a fellow with a Sea Dream sign appeared. He directed us to a frazzled lady who was passing out luggage tags to all who could remember their stateroom number (we couldn’t, but she found us on her list). We dropped our luggage in a pile of similarly tagged Louis Vuitton and Tumi bags, and followed the scent of Chanel and Botox across the street to the gangway.

No one had checked any papers yet, and we were actually quite unsure we were even authorized to proceed, but proceed we did, especially when we saw the phalanx of staff (and Captain Berg) welcoming everyone with glasses of champagne and refreshing towels.

We were invited in to the general reception area where we filled out a quick questionnaire on health issues (“Do you feel …?” “No.”) and thence to the Sea Dream version of the Grand Salon, where more champagne and a modest but beautiful buffet of appetizers and snacks were waiting. Cruise Director Richard invited us to help ourselves and relax as “there are a couple people ahead of you just now registering.” We were quickly called when that couple had finished, and were given the equivalent of “in suite check in” as one would expect from a top end hotel. Photo and credit card impressions were taken, and ship’s cards are given us in exchange for our passports. Another member of staff offered to refill our champagne once again, and then showed us to our stateroom.

Commodore Suite 304. The Best Location on the ship, I’m sure. We are just steps from the Concierge desk, in the very centre of everything. The ship is well under capacity (87 out of a potential 110 guests) and we were offered an inexpensive upgrade from a standard stateroom to a double stateroom, or Commodore Suite as they are called.

A standard suite has a bed, separated from a desk/TV/sofa area by an archway and a curtain that can be drawn if one cabin mate wants to keep different hours than the other. There is a very small bathroom (so small, I wonder how the stereotypical RCCL cruiser could ever get in and close the door), and loads of closet, shelf and drawer space everywhere. The Commodore Suite removes the section of the wall at the foot of the bed to merge the suite with the one adjoining. The bed in the second half is a Murphy, and can be lifted to make room for a dining table area and a luxurious feeling of extra space. A bottle of champage is already chilling on the table, beside a bowl of fresh fruit. The second desk/TV/sofa area is identical, and therefore perfect for us, as we have each set up independent full offices on either side of the wall. Our Belkin Traveller connects to the wired Internet (only $35/day, unlimited) and therefore serves us both (and probably the staterooms in our immediate vicinity as well) with WiFi. We each have a tiny bathroom, as well, which would probably work better if we had thought to bring two deodorant sticks. And the two bar fridges are stocked with beer and softdrinks of our choice (no charge).

Finishes all around are superior to any we’ve seen on any ship, debatably excluding The World. It’s all very intimate, small, and convivial. Sea Dream suggests that you won’t want “cruise ship” entertainment, as you will find that the other passengers quickly become friends more interesting than another Broadway Revue, and it wasn’t long until we realized this was true.

We took a quick tour around the ship, and then Rog changed for the pool. No sooner was he in the water then Christophe approached, leaving a fresh town on the pool’s edge for Rog, as he had noticed (while Rog had not) that he had no towel. I sat on the pool deck, fending off champagne and quietly reading.

There’s something particularly convivial about champagne glasses that simply cannot run dry, and bartenders that are eager to mix anything you can imagine (“just tell me your favourite liquor, your favourite juice, and I’ll make you something.”) – and all at no charge!

Example: while we were enjoying one of the finest Lemon Drop Martinis ever assembled, another passenger approached the bar to ask if they had a drinks list. “Not really – I just make anything you want,” replied young Alex, only his fourth week on the job.

“Oh,” she replied, rather sadly. “I was hoping for some inspiration.”

“Well then, here!” he replied, as he handed her a heavy coffee-table book entitled Cocktails of the World from a shelf behind him.

About the same time, another lady approached and said, “I’ll have my Pimms, please.”

Before Alex could say a word, master barman Sean gestured to him to agree, and then proceeded to show Alex how this passenger, clearly a regular Sea Dreamer, preferred her Pimms cocktail made.

The presence of, and immediate staff recognition of, repeat sailors is incredible. As we were boarding, it seemed every third guest was greeted with a broad smile and a “Welcome back!” by the staff. And I overheard at dinner tonight, two couples who had just met, sharing a table, comparing their eleven, and fourteen, Sea Dream cruise experiences with each other.

The cocktail hour is an elegant affair. Not a stuffy, long gown, dinner jacket thing, but “yacht casual” as they describe the dress code. Men in slacks, nice shirts; women dressed as nicely (in whatever women wear when dressed as nicely). Not one single baseball cap in view. A beautiful spread of canapés and hot and cold appetizers was present, and a piano played quietly from the stage, until it was time for dinner.

Dinner is served anytime, from 7:30 to 10:00 pm, your choice of time, table, and companions. Bashful and hungry folk that we are, we appeared at 7:30 and asked for a table for two.

The menu is incredible. Every description seemed more tempting than the previous, but we settled on escargots, a spicy soup, a seared tuna, and a beef dish. Sorry, my descriptions will never do them justice! More champagne, more wine, and it was all beautiful, including the “simultaneous service” (when paired waiters deliver each main course under dome, and lift them at the same time, gently intoning “Voila!”).

Now we’re awaiting Sail Away, delayed because apparently one suitcase has gone astray with an airline somewhere. No problem. We have all night to sail about 50 miles to the next port.

Meanwhile, our personalized, embroidered pajamas have been placed on our bed, inviting us to end a very pleasant day with very pleasant dreams.

Thanks for sharing your link! I look forward to you and Rog's latest adventure!

I can dream of the blue ocean and refined experiences whilst I sit in my cube in rainy Toronto and deal with "financial people"...

Cheers,

Deb

Well, we had to do SOMETHING DELICIOUSLY DESPERATE to cleanse the palate after our last cruise (you may find it under HAL), and this was it!

We're back, now, with our live daily blog from aboard Sea Dream I as it leaves Barbados on a 9-day cruise to Puerto Rico.

I have to start with Day Minus Two, however, to set the pace: Bear with us ... The Cruise itself starts on Day One below

============

Day One minus Two

The Adventure begins. And already, I’ve done the unthinkable!

We started yesterday in Victoria, with that godforsakenly early non-stop to Toronto, where we met the family for drinks, and then more family for dinner, and enjoyed a night at the Delta Meadowvale, our first in that hotel, as it was convenient to the families and airport. Quite comfortable; we’ll do it again for one-night stands.

Then this morning, with Brother Anthony waiting on the curb, we were whisked to the airport to join what were surprisingly fast-moving lines on this, the start of March Break, and one of the heaviest travel days out of Toronto. We had two hours to spare, once through Security (hey! I got lucky this time: full pat down!), and made a new discovery. As we walked down the corridor towards the AAdmirals’ Club, where I have a lifetime membership, we found they have blocked that access. But, on this side of the barricade, a Premier Lounge, and it accepted Rog’s Platinum AmEx for admission, with guest, free! Bonus!

So, a full buffet breakfast later, we were enjoying free WiFi and Rog was catching up on client travel crises. We boarded our Westjet and enjoyed a comfortable non-stop trip to Barbados. The on-board entertainment system is currently not available. That’s usually how we catch up on movies, watching Blind Side and The Invention of Lying on the way into Toronto. No problem; I plugged in my iPhone to a constant replay of Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now (from the Vancouver Olympics) and drifted in and out of consciousness.

By four o’clock we were standing at Reception in the Accra Beach Lounge, filling out forms and drinking the complimentary Rum Punch (aptly named – it packs a wallop!). A quick stop in the room to drop our bags and long-sleeved shirts, and we headed to the pool and beach.

I found a comfortable chaise longue (yes, that is the way it’s spelled, dammit), while Rog paddled around in the ocean, and then the pool. And that’s when the Unthinkable happened.

Maybe it was the lure of the Pool Bar? Maybe it was just the Holiday Spirit? But the pull was too much, even for me, aquaphobic me. I returned to the room exchanged shorts for the always-packed-never-worn swimsuit, and dove in.

We enjoyed a couple more Rum Punches and a great pool-bar dinner of flying fish and greens. And that’s a pretty good start. Wet, but good.

Day One minus One

Sleepless nights for both. Catching up on emails and client requests from midnight till 3:00AM (11:00PM Victoria Time), then try again. Prayers to Morpheus finally answered, of course, about 10 minutes before the alarms were set. Meanwhile, Rog had already been down for a swim, only to discover that the pool doesn’t open till 9:30 and the ocean is closed till further notice (I assume; else, why didn’t he swim there?). He did return to the room with a styro cup of the worst excuse for coffee I’ve tasted since Second Cup, however.

We had a rental car delivered to the hotel this morning, and we were off on our adventure: Hotel Site Inspections. We were interrupted by a quick shopping stop on Broad Street in the capital, Bridgetown, where Rog looked longingly at an Omega watch in the Little Switzerland. Again and again. Until he wore me down. But don’t worry … I’m holding out for something even better!

We continued up the west coast, stopping by for a quick photo or two at a couple on our way, to Sandy Lane, the premier of Caribbean hotels, where Rog coincidently has a client in residence. Glynn gave us a tour of the rooms and facilities, and Michelle invited us to lunch – a lunch, I am told, that costs “normal people” 75 dollars; the debate rages whether it’s Bajan Dollars or Yankee Bux, but it’s still pricey, and worth at least the Bajan number! Buffet service of about every cuisine one could imagine, from Sushi to Church Picnic, Fish Fry to Barbecue.

We continued our self-drive mission around this Island Nation, getting lost about every second unmarked intersection, until we had seen another half dozen hotels, and found our own at the end of the day.

Again, the Demon Rum caused the collapse of my inhibitions. It was only later that I discovered a dry, back-passage access to the Pool Bar that meant I could imbibe without my body parts shriveling. But, alas, it was too late. I was already wet, and so, let’s drink!

Day One

Somehow I forgot to mention yesterday’s big shopping extravaganza. We stopped in Bridgetown for Rog to buy a map and drool over duty-free watches, both of which he consummated, the later being an Omega that well exceeds our return customs limit, and is accompanied by a box the size of a cantaloupe that can hardly be brushed off with an “oh, I always travel with my watch box” story. Nor is Rog anymore likely to let it slide overboard then he would part with the watch.

We both agree it’s a good investment, though. Rog, because the watch was about $700 less than in Canada, and me, because every time he gets impatient with me about anything, I just have to ask him what time it is, and he melts into a puddle of “I love my new watch.”

Now to today:

Confusion with Daylight Savings Time (Barbados doesn’t) or habit from Victoria, not sure which, but one or the other meant that Rog was awake at 5AM, and therefore, so was I. We took advantage of the early hour, the lack of Sunday traffic on the roads, the fact that we still had four hours left on our rental car, to – you guessed it – visit another dozen hotels. It also gave us the chance to get some more photos of the really cool little Chattel Houses that pepper the landscape, and to witness the parade Bajan locals in their finery on Sunday mornings.

We got back to the hotel in time to drop the car off, at which time the pool was open for swimming, which Rog enjoyed one more time with his 40 laps, as I drank in the delicious air conditioning in our room. Noon check out, and we headed to the Cruise Ship Terminal, too eager for our 2:00 PM check in to start The Cruise!

The Cruise Terminal is a shopping centre of duty free and souvenir tat, none of which appealed to us, so we sat it out, waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Windstar was already taking their new passengers aboard, and a docked Royal Caribbean behemoth was engorging and disgorging passengers to and from various buses of shore excursions, but our Sea Dream I sat serenely, divinely, aloof. As we sweated in the Cruise Terminal, amazed at just what a huge following Royal Caribbean had. I mean, they were really huge!

Finally, 2:00PM arrived, and a fellow with a Sea Dream sign appeared. He directed us to a frazzled lady who was passing out luggage tags to all who could remember their stateroom number (we couldn’t, but she found us on her list). We dropped our luggage in a pile of similarly tagged Louis Vuitton and Tumi bags, and followed the scent of Chanel and Botox across the street to the gangway.

No one had checked any papers yet, and we were actually quite unsure we were even authorized to proceed, but proceed we did, especially when we saw the phalanx of staff (and Captain Berg) welcoming everyone with glasses of champagne and refreshing towels.

We were invited in to the general reception area where we filled out a quick questionnaire on health issues (“Do you feel …?” “No.”) and thence to the Sea Dream version of the Grand Salon, where more champagne and a modest but beautiful buffet of appetizers and snacks were waiting. Cruise Director Richard invited us to help ourselves and relax as “there are a couple people ahead of you just now registering.” We were quickly called when that couple had finished, and were given the equivalent of “in suite check in” as one would expect from a top end hotel. Photo and credit card impressions were taken, and ship’s cards are given us in exchange for our passports. Another member of staff offered to refill our champagne once again, and then showed us to our stateroom.

Commodore Suite 304. The Best Location on the ship, I’m sure. We are just steps from the Concierge desk, in the very centre of everything. The ship is well under capacity (87 out of a potential 110 guests) and we were offered an inexpensive upgrade from a standard stateroom to a double stateroom, or Commodore Suite as they are called.

A standard suite has a bed, separated from a desk/TV/sofa area by an archway and a curtain that can be drawn if one cabin mate wants to keep different hours than the other. There is a very small bathroom (so small, I wonder how the stereotypical RCCL cruiser could ever get in and close the door), and loads of closet, shelf and drawer space everywhere. The Commodore Suite removes the section of the wall at the foot of the bed to merge the suite with the one adjoining. The bed in the second half is a Murphy, and can be lifted to make room for a dining table area and a luxurious feeling of extra space. A bottle of champage is already chilling on the table, beside a bowl of fresh fruit. The second desk/TV/sofa area is identical, and therefore perfect for us, as we have each set up independent full offices on either side of the wall. Our Belkin Traveller connects to the wired Internet (only $35/day, unlimited) and therefore serves us both (and probably the staterooms in our immediate vicinity as well) with WiFi. We each have a tiny bathroom, as well, which would probably work better if we had thought to bring two deodorant sticks. And the two bar fridges are stocked with beer and softdrinks of our choice (no charge).

Finishes all around are superior to any we’ve seen on any ship, debatably excluding The World. It’s all very intimate, small, and convivial. Sea Dream suggests that you won’t want “cruise ship” entertainment, as you will find that the other passengers quickly become friends more interesting than another Broadway Revue, and it wasn’t long until we realized this was true.

We took a quick tour around the ship, and then Rog changed for the pool. No sooner was he in the water then Christophe approached, leaving a fresh town on the pool’s edge for Rog, as he had noticed (while Rog had not) that he had no towel. I sat on the pool deck, fending off champagne and quietly reading.

There’s something particularly convivial about champagne glasses that simply cannot run dry, and bartenders that are eager to mix anything you can imagine (“just tell me your favourite liquor, your favourite juice, and I’ll make you something.”) – and all at no charge!

Example: while we were enjoying one of the finest Lemon Drop Martinis ever assembled, another passenger approached the bar to ask if they had a drinks list. “Not really – I just make anything you want,” replied young Alex, only his fourth week on the job.

“Oh,” she replied, rather sadly. “I was hoping for some inspiration.”

“Well then, here!” he replied, as he handed her a heavy coffee-table book entitled Cocktails of the World from a shelf behind him.

About the same time, another lady approached and said, “I’ll have my Pimms, please.”

Before Alex could say a word, master barman Sean gestured to him to agree, and then proceeded to show Alex how this passenger, clearly a regular Sea Dreamer, preferred her Pimms cocktail made.

The presence of, and immediate staff recognition of, repeat sailors is incredible. As we were boarding, it seemed every third guest was greeted with a broad smile and a “Welcome back!” by the staff. And I overheard at dinner tonight, two couples who had just met, sharing a table, comparing their eleven, and fourteen, Sea Dream cruise experiences with each other.

The cocktail hour is an elegant affair. Not a stuffy, long gown, dinner jacket thing, but “yacht casual” as they describe the dress code. Men in slacks, nice shirts; women dressed as nicely (in whatever women wear when dressed as nicely). Not one single baseball cap in view. A beautiful spread of canapés and hot and cold appetizers was present, and a piano played quietly from the stage, until it was time for dinner.

Dinner is served anytime, from 7:30 to 10:00 pm, your choice of time, table, and companions. Bashful and hungry folk that we are, we appeared at 7:30 and asked for a table for two.

The menu is incredible. Every description seemed more tempting than the previous, but we settled on escargots, a spicy soup, a seared tuna, and a beef dish. Sorry, my descriptions will never do them justice! More champagne, more wine, and it was all beautiful, including the “simultaneous service” (when paired waiters deliver each main course under dome, and lift them at the same time, gently intoning “Voila!”).

Now we’re awaiting Sail Away, delayed because apparently one suitcase has gone astray with an airline somewhere. No problem. We have all night to sail about 50 miles to the next port.

Meanwhile, our personalized, embroidered pajamas have been placed on our bed, inviting us to end a very pleasant day with very pleasant dreams.

Did you happen to bring any menus back?If so could you send them out?Thanks.

Rick & Harriet

Day Two

It was a rather fitful night of sleep, but not for lack of a very comfortable bed. It’s dressed European style; that is, two twins pushed together, with only a king fitted sheet to cover the crease, individual twin duvets, no top sheet, and a nice selection of pillows with fine linens and great mattresses. I noticed the ride at sea was a little different on this smaller ship, in that it gently pitched as well as rolled. Not uncomfortable, just different.

Rog was, as is his habit, up early, and secreted himself in the “office” area of the adjoining portion of our Commodore Suite, pulling the curtain between that area and the dining table area at the foot of our bed, to ensure I wasn’t disturbed. Believe me, I’m never disturbed while he’s earning money! And when I did deign to rouse myself, he had a hot cup of coffee waiting for me.

(Who is he kidding? He was up and out, socializing with all the other early birds! He has declared that this is like a giant floating house party.)

The morning shower is indeed a bit of a squeeze, but once inside the shower itself, there’s a delightful surprise awaiting, with nozzles from every direction, and luxurious Bvlgari amenities.

A welcoming rain today as we dropped anchor off Port Elizabeth in Bequia (Grenadines), so breakfast in the outdoor dining area was moved to the indoor dining room. Such an elegant room it is! Breakfast menu includes all the staples, plus lamb chops and minute steaks, and a full buffet for those who, like me, enjoy just a bit of cereal with fresh fruit.

A look around the dining room gave me the oportunity to assess the demographic of a Sea Dream client. Overwhelmingly white, middle-aged or senior, and maybe 50% American. There are plenty of Europeans (many British, a Belgian and Ukranian, and I hear some German, from Switzerland, for example) but so far we only one other pair of Canadians. All but three couples are male/female: there is the one (assumed) mother-daughter couple, and one other male couple aboard besides us, although all the guests we’ve met have been very pleasant and accepting. Although the manifest in no way resembles a retired Olympic team, there doesn’t appear to be anyone aboard who weighs more than 250 pounds, which is rare on cruise ships. And if you see someone under 40 they are (with the single exception in the mother/daughter team) a member of the crew.

The rain clouds parted as we took one of the two offered shore excursions to Bequia today, a general island tour and overview. (The other one took a rough boat ride to Mustique.) Six of us, plus a local guide and driver, all (except the driver, of course) piled in the back of a covered “safari-style” pickup. Cost was USD 69.00 per person, which is fairly reasonable for a three-hour tour. Attractions were a bit, well, shall we say, “it’s the Caribbean – what did I expect?” We heard the history and learned that Greneda is not part of the Grenadines.

Then we visited a model boat-building factory, which reminded me of the obligatory stop at the wooden shoe factory on our tour of Amsterdam a few years back.

Next was a refuge for sick and crippled turtles, where I realized that turtles are unquestionably the ugliest and stupidest creatures on God’s earth. Brother King, the keeper of the turtles, gave us a lecture and introduced us to each of his charges, all 859 of them, individually. The main attraction here was a biffy that had a window with a million-dollar view of the harbour.

Finally, turtle introductions complete, we continued our tour and stopped for a rum punch in a local bar, The Whaleboner, it was called. I was pretty tempted to buy that T-shirt! Found it cheaper, however, to pocket a couple of drink coasters advertising Hairoun, the local Island beer.

Afterwards we joined a British couple from the tour for pizza at the highly (and repeatedly) recommended Mac’s Pizza. “The best lobster pizza in the Caribbean,” said Richard the Cruise Director. Again and again. Hear it said often enough and it begins to actually sound good. Surprise! It was! Thanks, Richard! We certainly hope you never have to pay for pizza here, with all your advertising efforts.

Although hardly a highpoint of the cruise, the visit to Bequia was interesting simply because it is unlikely that we would ever go there otherwise. Sleepy, generally free of tourist crowds, reliant on banana and beer exports, it was friendly and enjoyable. And no, it’s unlikely we’ll ever return.

Transfer to and from the mainland was by tender, as I believe all ports will be, but there was no waiting. We were greeted upon our return with cool towels and of course, the always-open bar. The “tailgate” of the ship was down and the water toys were out, so Rog quickly changed and took the plunge into the Caribbean Sea. Not for me, however, as – although only seventeen feet deep at our anchorage, it’s still too deep for me to touch bottom! It’s also very wet.

Sundowners tonight are on the pool level, as we watched Shaun perform his juggling skills with bottles, ice, and anything else in reach that eventually became a cocktail. And another. And another.

I slipped away during cocktails because, from 6:00PM, the shop’s open! I interupted Rose in her attempts to set up a promotional display of Two For Ones to grab a polo shirt almost in my size, before they sold out. I returned to the bar where Rog, taking one look at my handsome new Sea Dream logo’ed Nike polo (USD 50), left immeditaly to buy one of his own, which admitedly looked a lot better on his svelte frame than mine. Oh well; his is fashion – mine is “inspiration.”

Dinner was outside this evening, under the few stars that were visible through the dark clouds above. I had a spicy pork and noodle soup, some incredible crab legs coated in shrimp and breaded, and a Dorade fish, whatever that is. Rog had prime rib. All were delicious. It is also, I must say, getting increasingly difficult to fight off the dessert menu. Gabor, our Hungarian waiter, finally extracted a promise from us to have dessert on our last night, lest the pastry chef pay a personal visit to our stateroom in the middle of the night weilding a decorating cone and crème brule torch.

There have been suggestions elsewhere that the “premium” wines and booze are being pushed, for extra revenue. We stand here, wobbly, to disprove that. A premium wine list was included with our menu the first evening, but the waiter appeared with two fine bottles of red and white and offered those, each evening. Plus of course, the ever-present, ever-flowing Champagne. All included.

After dinner, it’s time for movies under the stars, tonight featuring Michael Jackson’s This Is It. About 20 of us gathered around the large screen hung over the pool to enjoy this video. No popcorn, but lotsa wine (or anything else you desired!)

Returning to the room we are greeted with a towel origami monkey on the bed, sporting my sunglasses and carrying a single red rose, which we added to the arrangement on the dining table, beside the freshly refilled fruit bowl. It’s comforting to know there’s kruise kitcsh, even at this level!

Gracious, I'm flattered, Barbara ... but we can only post a daily update once a day!

I must admit to our "followers" there that it is very difficult to turn a phrase in mockery or sarcasm when everything is so damned perfect. I'm going to have to go back on HAL to get "real" material. On second thought, naw - I'll stay here. The writing muse will have to look elsewhere for inspiration.

Hurumph... Ol' Ragnar was one of those guests "over 250 lbs" (way over...) but his appearance did not seem to spoil anyones' cruise experience. Now, ol' Ragnar's behavior was another story :eek:

Fortunately, ol' Ragnar is now a "svelte" 6'4" 230 lbs and so would seemingly be accepted by all, wearing a SD Polo shirt or not :D

Day Three – St Lucia

I’ll start with apologies for the many spelling and grammar errors that are creeping into this, as I read back over previous sections. Sorry – I do know better! Let’s blame the ever-flowing perfect Lemon Drops.

Had a much better sleep last night, and, after a simple breakfast from an elaborate offering, we were ready today for our short morning stop at Soufriere, St Lucia’s first capital and a colonial showcase, nestled in the shadows of the twin peaks called the Pitons, iconic symbol of the Island.

We had arranged private transportation for the morning to visit four hotels in the area, from 3- to 5-star level, details of which would probably bore you to tears. Suffice to say, if you’re looking to visit St Lucia, no one can now guide you better than Roger.

It was a too-brief stop in Soufriere, but long enough for my Ship’s Card to fall out of my cargo shorts into the Jade Mountain resort shuttle that we used to get past security while our driver waited outside the gates. It was passed off to another set of Sea Dream guests who, much fitter and more adventurous than us, had taken Sea Dream’s complimentary mountain bikes for an independent excursion up the mountain and back, catching the last tender to the ship, about a half hour after I had sweet-talked my way past our own security station, and now all is right with the world again. Cost for the independent, air-conditioned, luxury SUV and driver for the morning was USD 80. E-mail us and we’ll give you the contact info!

The ship moved from Soufriere to Rodney’s Bay during lunch, but we declined the zodiac landing on the beach, electing to stay aboard for the afternoon. Too comfortable in our roosts by the pool.

Lunch was served outside as we sailed away from Soufriere. The a la carte menu of hot and cold specialties was supplemented with a broad salad buffet, which is where we grazed.

A comment on laundry. We’ve tried it so far only for one shirt. Bag it by 10:00AM and it’s back by 4:00PM same day. $4.95.

After lunch, a few moments by the pool. In the pool, for Rog. In the shade near the pool for me. I was interrupted in my reading by Wesley, who asked if he could clean my glasses for me. He was wandering the pool circuit, with eyeglass cleaner and cloth, offering this service to everyone. Yes. Believe it, and more on the incomparable food and service level to come.

I few moments later, Wesley was back. He had noticed I was now wearing sunglasses, and in a second, they were as clean as when I bought them.

Back to the book, only to be interrupted again. “Would you like a mini-massage?” I thought I was being hit up by the spa staff, so I ensured her I already had an appointment for tomorrow. “Yes, but would you like a five-minute mini-massage now?” I looked around, and the entire spa staff was crouched over the backs of several lucky loungers – so why should I decline?

Roger picked this moment to emerge from the pool – and before his jealous blood could boil, he too was in his lounger with a charming Thai therapist working magic on his overstressed knots as well!

Tonight was the Captain’s Reception. On most cruises this means one thing only: Free Drinks! So, out of habit, I rushed in. Of course, drinks are included on Sea Dream, so the only difference between this and any other Sundowners or Cocktail Reception aboard was the presence of the ship’s Master front and center, and the introduction of his fellow officers. This is not that special on Sea Dream: the officers are always visible.

Captain Berg also corrected my count of nationalities. There are 88 passengers aboard, from 17 different countries. Leading the pack are 41 Americans, then 27 Brits, several German, four Canadian. The rest are one or two or three here and there, including Austria, Belgium, Iceland, Poland, Norway, Finland, Ireland, Switzerland, Ukraine, New Zealand. None from Asia, Africa or South America, although Asia was represented well in the crew count – with 41 of 95 from the Philippines. Charles the chef is from Poland, Christophe the Hotel Manager is from France, Shaun the head barman is from South Africa and Captain Berg himself is Norwegian.

Dinner, topside again in the warm breezes, was exceptional, and accompanied by sufficient wine and champagne such that a good time was had by all.

Off to bed, in anticipation of Dominica in the morning.

Hi,

Thanks for the diary, brings back happy memories of January in the Caribbean while there was three feet of snow back home!

Anyway, if you have a moment please say hi to Sean from the Grasshopper drinking Scotsman - and ask him what was that French cocktail he came up with? I know it wasn't a French Martini.

If you want a challenge, you could also ask him to remind me of the beer cocktail he came up with. I had thought of Black Velvet as a beer cocktail, but he came up with something completely off the wall!

Oh the fun we had trying to catch him out!

Day Four – Portsmouth, Dominica

Slept in a bit this morning, as we had decided not to do any shore excursions, leaving the inner-tire rafting and the zip-line zipping to those fitter and younger among us. (Discovery: There is one youngster on the ship; saw him for the first time last night; about 15 and very well behaved; nearly invisible, in fact!) Instead, we took our tender onto the beach and a taxi into the sleepy little town of Portsmouth.

An interesting little town this is, with a beach littered with rusting hulls of abandoned boats, tumbledown shacks interspersed with quite nice houses. Store fronts decidedly uninviting, but a step inside reveals a pride of ownership and merchandise presentation. We took a couple photographs of a tiny market’s grocery shelves that look like art in their careful alignment of labels.

Our taxi said he would wait for us, but he didn’t, so we walked back to the dock and returned to the luxury aboard in time for lunch.

Today, I couldn’t resist the Fish ‘n Chips (without the Chips) for lunch, which was excellent! Rog had a double plateful of eggplant salad, sort of a cold ratatouille, also excellent. We wisely decided to wait till evening to let the champagne flow.

Afterwards, another travel client emergency which Rog had to work on almost to the point of missing our spa appointments. Before going to spa, I must mention the great Internet connection again on this ship. It’s never let us down, AND we can use Skype (a practice that was forbidden and blocked on Azamara for example), so it’s business as usual, wherever Rog is.

Ah, now the spa. Rog had Reflexology, and the family audience bar me from saying what he said about that; suffice to say, it was very good. I had a Swedish Massage, which although quite relaxing, I felt she spent too much time on my legs and not enough on my back. I also found the background tape of Thai flutes and birdcalls a bit annoying. Of course, I’m too polite to say anything, so I just lay there and suffered in silent delirium.

We set sail around 4:00 PM for our next port, Terre-de-Haut, Iles Des Saintes, Guadeloupe (French West Indies) and arrived alongside our identical twin sister ship, Sea Dream II. A glorious sunset accompanied a specially themed Caribbean Sundowners on the pool deck, followed by dinner al fresco. Tonight, I tried three courses of Caribbean cuisine, and yearn for a cheeseburger.

We barhopped between the two open bars for a bit, then turned in for the night. Brenda had prepared the room, refreshed the ice, refilled the fruit bowl, drawn the drapes, dimmed the lights, hung a towel origami monkey from the mirror, and left a sweet offering and note from Garfield, the pastry chef, wishing us sweet dreams.

Rog decided to give Room Service a test: he ordered a cheese platter and set the timer: in four minutes, it was delivered. And beautifully presented, of course!

Now is a good time to make some inter-line comparisons, don’t you think?

Sea Dream is perfect, almost. It is really hard to find any comparison, but perhaps we can stretch to Crystal, whose ships are larger but whose staff is just as dedicated to excellence in service and cuisine. The larger ships provide more anonymity, if one wants that. It’s hard to hide on Sea Dream. The staff will find you, and polish your glasses or refill your glass. There’s a crew on Sea Dream of 95, probably half of whom are “topside” and visible to us. You quickly learn all their names, and they learn yours, and your preferences. Crystal has the same passenger:crew ratio of 2:1, but with a thousand guests and 500 crew, maybe 250 of them “topside” – it’s impossible to know them all personally, or for them to know all their guests’ foibles.

To me, the biggest difference between the service levels on these two lines is that on Crystal, the staff is trained well to do a job perfectly and with finesse; you are never left wanting. On Sea Dream the same is true, except you have the feeling that it’s more than a job, it’s an earnest desire to serve that pushes it up a notch.

The larger ships offer more onboard activities and dining variety, which is important to some. The entertainment options tonight (10:30PM) on Sea Dream I are

1. Piano Bar karaoke - about 10 people there when we passed through;

2. Black Jack table – 4 passengers playing, and room for 2 more;

3. Movie under the stars, screening the Montserrat fundraiser concert (we’re going there in a couple of days) – 21 people watching;

4. Library – empty; and

5. Top of the Yacht Bar – 10 people there when we left.

That’s half the passengers accounted for. The other half had either retired to their staterooms, perhaps watching a DVD of which there are many available from the Concierge, or quietly roaming the decks enjoying the “light show” of the luxury tall-masted, pseudo sailing ship Sea Cloud, or our sister, Sea Dream II, who share this beautiful harbour with us tonight.

We’ve only even overheard one complaint, and that from two or three passengers: erratic or sporadic hot water in the shower. In fact, the shortage hit Rog’s shower this morning, but as we have two bathrooms in our Commodore Suite, he just switched over to “mine.” We’re all right, Jack!

Hi Cruisers1975

We are aboard SD2. For a moment I have turned on my phone and couldn't resist a little CC action! I have not posted due to the roaming expense...We saw our beautiful SD1 sail by last night and got some great pictures in the beautiful sunset! Capt Berg arrived here for dinner with our Capt Willassen. We have 75 on board with 95 crew! Probably half are very nice Europeans, we've been having fun with some Luftanza pilots, since my DH was an airline pilot too. Needless to say everything is wonderful. SD's personnel director was on board and my DH was trying to get me a job! She is with you now...such a nice person! We also have a Deck 3 Commodore suite, and you described it perfectly. Our weather and seas have been the best I can remember. Only one deviation..which is today in Nevis...Capt said the dust and ash in the air on the other side of Guadeloupe was too bad to go. DH is biking around Nevis and I am doing what I love, of course, relaxing with Rum! Will post more when we arrive home...I don't want to think about that now!!

Hi Flygood,

I'm off to find Shaun and ask him about your cocktails. Any excuse to shimmy up to the bar!

Another question I got from another direction: Min/Max bet on the blackjack table. It's $5/$50. Just in case you were interested. An no, there are no other "games". This information from the "Dial 9 for Anything" number on my phone in the room.

Archived