The Great Debate

VentureForth

We're looking to cruise on Sensation in December. There are 5 of us, and as Carnival is only one of a small handful of cruiselines that accepts 5 in a stateroom, plus discounted 3rd, 4th, and 5th cruisers, we were thinking about a single ocean view room. But for only about $40 (net, after additional OBC), we can get a 2nd room inboard.

We're a close family and don't mind the closeness, but is it really TOO crammed to consider a single room? Kids are 18, 10 & 5.

We're looking to cruise on Sensation in December. There are 5 of us, and as Carnival is only one of a small handful of cruiselines that accepts 5 in a stateroom, plus discounted 3rd, 4th, and 5th cruisers, we were thinking about a single ocean view room. But for only about $40 (net, after additional OBC), we can get a 2nd room inboard.

We're a close family and don't mind the closeness, but is it really TOO crammed to consider a single room? Kids are 18, 10 & 5.

For the sake of your sanity, get the second room. If nothing else, you'll have access to two bathrooms.

Carnival offers adjoining staterooms which is perfect for large families. You can arrange one room for just sleeping and the other for lounging. Also as stated you do get two bathrooms. Also if money is not an obstacle, adjoining balcony suites can have the balcony dividers opened so you can have one large balcony for all to enjoy.

Yes it is,also look at RCI Voyager class ships.I think the kids would like them better.

Steve

I am a tightwad, so unfortunately a suite is out of the equation. Originally thinking of just one inside room. But seeing that the difference in $ isn't all that great, the inside/outside sounds like a plan. I don't think I'll go for two adjoining outside rooms. That adds a lot of coin...

Yes it is,also look at RCI Voyager class ships.I think the kids would like them better.

Steve

I'd rather take RCI to build up my points with just one cruiseline, but this is a great deal that we're taking with a bunch of families. Been on Monarch of the Seas, and loved it. Understand that Carnival's rooms are about 20% bigger.

Also, RCI doesn't discount 3-5th guests. 2nd room has to pay full price for first two occupants again. Only one person gets a break on price. At least that's what I've seen. Perhaps they have different price points on different ships.

definately get the second room for sanity's sake. AND even though you'll have two showers, don't forget you can use the showers in the spa. That way everyone can come back from port and get cleaned up at once instead of taking turns.

I'd rather take RCI to build up my points with just one cruiseline, but this is a great deal that we're taking with a bunch of families. Been on Monarch of the Seas, and loved it. Understand that Carnival's rooms are about 20% bigger.

Also, RCI doesn't discount 3-5th guests. 2nd room has to pay full price for first two occupants again. Only one person gets a break on price. At least that's what I've seen. Perhaps they have different price points on different ships.

I am confused here. Do you think you can get a second room with Carnival and only pay 3-5th guest prices?

Because you pay full cost for first two passengers per room, even on Carnival.

We travel with 3 kids as well and have done it both ways...we had 5 in a suite once and it was CROWDED! They bring a rollaway in and it just takes up too much room. We now travel with either 2 adjoining balconies or we have one inside and one outside. We put the kids on the inside room and we just go to customer service and have another key made for the second room. Well worth the extra $$$.

Enjoy your cruise!

There's no difference between an oceanview and an inside, except the window. I find that window is pretty useless. It does not open and there is rarely anything interesting to see out of it. The salt water crusts it over and it can be difficult to see clearly out of it.

IMHO, this is a no-brainer. Get the two rooms. You won't regret it and you won't miss the window!

Oh definitely go for the 2 rooms. We did our first cruise with the kids last October and I briefly thought about booking one of the spa cabins and putting all four of us in there. Then I saw that it wasn't going to be that much of a price difference to book 2 rooms. I was very thankful for that, the kids room was a disaster and they had children's tv on constantly. That would have drove me crazy, plus I am an early riser when I cruise which would have been difficult had we had them in our room. Also, connecting inside rooms are no more expensive than regular inside room.

Definitely get the second room! Our first cruise with the kids we shared a inside room (4 of us) manageable but as the kids get bigger I don't think it would work as well now! Our second cruise we got the adjoining rooms and we were able to leave the door open between rooms, that was so much nicer! This time we just got to rooms next door to each other. I think it is worth the $40 just for the second bathroom!

Yes.

OK. That and the 2nd bathroom sealed the deal for me. Called my TA and let her know. :)

Thanks, all!

wise decision.

Three words:

Get. Two. Cabins.

It was a long time ago, but I loved Sensation. I hope you do, too!

Everyone says get 2 rooms. But for my family, for now, 1 is the best route. Our children are 10, 5, and 3. The only one that would sleep in a different room would be the ten year old. It is close quaters but with the little ones it works. Now I will say I can't wait until they are 17, 12, and 10 so I can put them in another room!!!:rolleyes: I just think it depends on the ages of the children.

Everyone says get 2 rooms. But for my family, for now, 1 is the best route. Our children are 10, 5, and 3. The only one that would sleep in a different room would be the ten year old. It is close quaters but with the little ones it works. Now I will say I can't wait until they are 17, 12, and 10 so I can put them in another room!!!:rolleyes: I just think it depends on the ages of the children.

I'd still get two rooms- you and hubby aren't going to have any privacy anyway. With 2 rooms you get extra bathroom, extra storage, extra TV, and a place for naps if others are in the room. And two can sleep in the extra room, any two. Or everyone can sleep in one room and use the second room for all the other purposes. The difference in price, especially if one is a balcony and one an inside room, is very very small. Once we figured that out, we would never consider putting more than 3 in a room.

Archived