Passport Help

Elayne01

Hi everyone ... I need your help please….On 4/4/2010 I will be going on a 7-Day Southern Caribbean Cruise on Princess Caribbean and I have applied for my passport, I am hoping that I get it in time.

**If it is not back in time I would like to know if I need my passport at any of the ports.

I am porting out of San Juan and will be going to the following ports: St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados

Nope, do not need a passport. You may take this cruise with just a certified BC and DL, although there are reasons to prefer a passport. So if it does not come back in time, just make sure you have a second copy of your BC and go with that.

Hi everyone ... I need your help please….On 4/4/2010 I will be going on a 7-Day Southern Caribbean Cruise on Princess Caribbean and I have applied for my passport, I am hoping that I get it in time.

**If it is not back in time I would like to know if I need my passport at any of the ports.

I am porting out of San Juan and will be going to the following ports: St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados

Go to travel.state.gov to check on the status of your application. The link is in the center of the page. There are instructions for contacting them if you haven't gotten your passports by 72 hours before you leave. You can also get email notifications when your application is in processing.

We sent our passports to be renewed and just got confirmation they are in processing today. Our cruise also leaves on 4/4/10.

The only thing you will need is a certified copy of your birthcertificate. Since you mailed that in with your passport, you will need to obtain another. Also do look on the government passport site to see if yours is in transit. If you put the date of sailing on there, they are pretty good about getting them to people in time. It just might stress you out waiing.:rolleyes:

Did you send your passport off as a RUSH (extra money but well worth) and let them know that you needed them by April 1st (this gives you fudge room) if you did not do this then CALL NOW and tell them you made a mistake!!! Do it now and don't wait....also need to have them expressed to you (extra $$ again).

Better safe than sorry, and and biggest and DO NOT TAKE ANYONES WORD from this board, everyone means well but you are the one with the problem if you end up needing a passport and do not have it!

Call Princess, check with your TA and I believe the Princess site will also have good info on requirements.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise....now make that call to the Passport people...info is on their web site.:eek:

Presumably you applied for a US passport?

Do you need a marriage certificate if you name has changed since the one on your birth certificate? I have a friend that is going on a cruise with us but she has married since her passport was issued and booked the cruise in her married name and didn't think anything of it till I asked her about it and we leave 4/24.

Do you need a marriage certificate if you name has changed since the one on your birth certificate? I have a friend that is going on a cruise with us but she has married since her passport was issued and booked the cruise in her married name and didn't think anything of it till I asked her about it and we leave 4/24.

That's an excellent question. I would bring one as an alternative to finding out the hard way, or running into a misunderstanding at the pier.

However, as long as the Passport data in the Pax record in the personalizer matches the actual passport, I think things will be fine.

SirWired

I can't speak for other countries but in Canada if you are married and go by that name you need to change your passport to your new married name. I waited a year after I got married to officially change my name and travelled under my old passport name, but once I changed it to my new name I applied for a new passport. I was told that the name you are travelling under, flights, hotel, cruise...needs to match your passport name. I hope this helps.

Just like taking an airplane, any document used for ID must match the name on the booking. Otherwise, they may not let her board. She would definitely need her marriage certificate. Or, she could pay $50 and change the name on the booking back to her maiden name, particularly if she hasn't changed her passport yet. I'd advise this just to eliminate any possibility of a glitch.

Always check the cruiseline rules too!

I saw someone on CC mention we needed 6 months on our passports in order to cruise to Europe. The airline requested only that the passport be current. DH checked the official travel websites for the various countries and thought he understood the time left on our passports could be 3 months left. Princess said we wouldn't be allowed to board with less than 6 months. Check everyone's rules and then double check. We had to expedite our passport renewals because we only had 4 months left until expiration. And yes, names need to match on all documents exactly.

Follow up with the passport agency immediately!!!! Do not "dick" around with the worry and yes in nearly all cases i am aware of you need "six months" remaining on your passport..... In other words your passport for all intents and othewise expires for nearly all international traval "6 months" before it really expires and that is six month before the end of your trip not the beginning of your trip.....

And yes the names on the air tickets, cruise tickets and the passports all need to match!!!!! No exceptions.....

Call and expedite your passport and make sure all names on your air and cruise match....they are not kidding and they do not make exceptions...so for newlyweds this means the bride is traveling in all cases under her maiden name!!!!!

I called Princess today for my brother, he is also booked on the Caribbean Princess. I was told all he needs is a certified birth certificate..NO copies. I was a little surprised as we were told a few years ago that soon everyone taking a cruise will need a passport.

1st I would like to thank everyone for your help!!! :)

I did follow up with the Passport Office and my passports are being processed. So to be on the safe side I doubled checked with Princess and a certified copy of birth certificate and government issued photo ID/Driver's license are fine to board the ship, I also have a Temporary (EDL) Enhanced Driver License, along with a new copy of my certified copy of birth certificate, but I really hope to get my passport in time.

I have also found that all you will need to take ashore is Photo ID (driver's license) and your cabin key card ashore. Securities at all ports require presentation of both items to regain entrance to the cruise terminal.

@angeleyes031802…I spoke with Princess for My sister about the same thing and the Rep. was Very Nice and made the change to the booking with No Problems. The Name on the booking must match all Documents (ID, Passport, Driver's License, Certified copy of Birth Certificate.

F.Y.I

You can get you Name changed on your Passport one time for free.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

I hope I was able to help, like you all have helped me:)

Archived