Difference Between Gem & Jewel

KevinsCruising

Hi Cruisers,

We sailed the Gem last March and thinking of sailing the Jewel this spring. Does anyone know the diffencence between the Gem and the Jewel? The only difference I can see is the Gem has the bowling alleys and the Jewel does not. We loved the bowling alleys, had a great time using them on the Gem. Is there any other differences????

Thank you,

Hi Cruisers,

We sailed the Gem last March and thinking of sailing the Jewel this spring. Does anyone know the diffencence between the Gem and the Jewel? The only difference I can see is the Gem has the bowling alleys and the Jewel does not. We loved the bowling alleys, had a great time using them on the Gem. Is there any other differences????

Thank you,

Also 2 Deluxe Owner's Suites on the Gem; I don't think any on the Jewel.

Hi Cruisers,

Thank you,

One major difference is in the layout and design of the Garden Cafe. I much prefer the layout/design of the Garden Cafe on the Gem, with its curved banquets, small individual tables for two or four, and high partitions dividing the dining area from the pedestrian area. The Jewel's Garden Cafe reminded me of nothing as much as a school cafeteria, and it was just as noisy. Tables arranged end-to-end, uncomfortable chairs, and minimal decor all made for an unpleasant ambiance. You won't want to linger in the Jewel's Garden Cafe, whereas in the Gem's Garden Cafe, I was happy to sit for hours with a cup of coffee and a book and gaze out to sea.

A couple of other differences: Where the Bliss Ultralounge is located on the Gem, the Jewel has a large shopping area that reminded me of a department store. Where the shops are located on the Gem, the Jewel has a funky modern lounge (without windows).

I also prefer the main dining room on the Gem (the Grand Pacific, modeled on the classy art deco 1st-class dining rooms on the old Matson liners) to that on the Jewel (the Tsar's Palace, with portraits of the Russian Tsars on the walls. What's up with that:confused:, other than that Peter the Great was the father of the Russian Navy?) However, the layout of the two restaurants is nearly identical.

Otherwise, there are few differences between the two ships; the alternative restaurants are all pretty much identical and in the same locations, as are the other lounges.

I don't mean to sound so down on the Jewel (well, maybe I do!;)), but because of the differences I've outlined above, I definitely prefer the Gem to the Jewel.

Archived