Thinking of cruising for first time, going with kids, need basic help planning.

Aylee

First I'll apologize for a long post. :o After trying to determine a good family vacation plan for myself, dh and two kids - 15 & 11, our travel agent suggested a cruise as a good option for us. I've never cruised so I have tons of basic questions. I'm sure I'll read all the newbie posts here and do tons of other over-researching but hoping I can start with a few basic answers to begin the decision making process.

Here is some info on us to help: It sounds like we're limited to Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruise lines (due to travel agency and our location?). We have to wait until June to go. Our budget is around $5000. We're planning on cruising somewhere in the Caribbean/Mexico destinations. We are average active people. Nothing too adventurous but not into just lounging around doing nothing for hours either. And want to get some kind of educational or cultural experience out of all the fun.

Okay so my questions:

1. What's a good cruise length? Want to get our money worth and not spend days just on the ship. More ports of call in the itinerary seems like a better bargain for the money and I love the idea of being able to see multiple places but does it really work out well or do you just feel rushed the whole time and don't end up spending enough quality time in any one port?

2. If we do hit a couple different ports should we aim for different types of places? For example, to me Grand Cayman and Cozumel seem very similar, great snorkeling and beautiful beaches/water but are they too similar?

3. I'm confused about cabin selections. How do I know if a cabin will accommodate the 4 of us? Is it ridiculously tight for a family of 4 with teen/preteen? Thinking bathroom space and privacy.

4. Where to go? So many options, Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Mexico? Like I said above, we want to feel like we're seeing different types of locales and different cultures. But don't want to do more than a 7 day cruise either. Leaning toward something like a FL Keys, Bahamas or Caymans and/or Mexico destination since it seems like you get a variety.

I realize no one can make the decision for us ultimately but appreciate any suggestions and opinions you'd like to share on any of this.

Cruise length: I think 7-day cruise is ideal for the first timers -- it's not too long and not too short. However, if you are concerned about the cost, then you can also check 4-day or 5-day cruises.

Cruise lines: I will suggest that you also check Princess and Norwegian in addition to Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Destinations: Personally I think Caribbean offers more diversities than Mexico. However, summer is in the hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Ports: Even though many ports are similar, you can select different types of activities. For example, if you snorkel in Grand Cayman, then you can visit a Maya ruin when you are in Cozumel. Many ports also offer zipline adventures that many teens and pre-teens enjoy. I will suggest that you check cruise line shore excursions in each port. You don't need to book the cruise line shore excursions -- just to give you ideas re. what you can do in each port.

Cabin: A 4-person cabin will be fine for your family though it can be a little bit crowded. You can also check the price of two 2-person inside cabins. Sometimes the price difference is not so huge.

Enjoy!

Aylee

>>1. What's a good cruise length? Want to get our money worth and not spend days just on the ship. More ports of call in the itinerary seems like a better bargain for the money and I love the idea of being able to see multiple places but does it really work out well or do you just feel rushed the whole time and don't end up spending enough quality time in any one port?

You already said 7 days is your limit. I would not do less or it will feel rushed.

>>2. If we do hit a couple different ports should we aim for different types of places? For example, to me Grand Cayman and Cozumel seem very similar, great snorkeling and beautiful beaches/water but are they too similar?

Each port has a lot of different types of activities. there are adventure type excursions, like zip lines and ATV trips and there are sightseeing trips, as well as the snorkeling and beach combing. I wouldn't worry excessively abotu that.

>>3. I'm confused about cabin selections. How do I know if a cabin will accommodate the 4 of us? Is it ridiculously tight for a family of 4 with teen/preteen? Thinking bathroom space and privacy.

Bathrooms are small. Privacy is limited unless you get separate cabins. But beyond that, each line lists the square footage of cabins on their website. When you compare square foot by square foot, suddenly some more expensive lines look cheaper.

But then call the cruise lines and ask, get a cruise oriented travel agent, or post on the boards for the specific lines you've narrowed your search down to.

>>4. Where to go? So many options, Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Mexico? Like I said above, we want to feel like we're seeing different types of locales and different cultures.

I'd say the Western Caribbean has most variety of cultures, Eastern Caribbean next, and then an all Mexico cruise. But again, you'll get a lot of variety based on what types of things you do in each port.

I'm not sure why you say you're limited to two lines "due to travel agency and our location" but I'd try to look at things differently before narrowing it down that way. But again, that may really be a limit.

A lot depends upon where you live and how you will get to port. You'll save money and packing hassles if you can drive, but you have to deal with the drive.

If you have to fly anyway, you might want to look at "Southern Caribbean" trips leaving out of San Juan PR. They often have an extra port day, and visit more adventurous ports, than the more traditional Eastern or Western Caribbean routes.

4 in a room will be tight. Very tight. You either have to suck it up, book a suite (which could bust your budget) or go with two rooms. Ships have some connecting rooms, though you have a more flexibility if your comfortable with non-connecting rooms. Many families book an ocean view or balcony room for the parents, with the kids across the hall in an inside room. The cost for putting them in their own inside room often isn't that much more than the cost for them as 3rd/4th occupants of your room.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure why my travel agent only suggested those two cruise lines but I've sent her a message to confirm if its because they only work deals with them within their agency or if they're just the most economical for us.

I live in South Dakota so driving to any ports is unfortunately really not an option.

I'll have to look into the connecting cabins thing if its not too much more cost for that. May be worth it not having to fight with the teen girl for bathroom time. Still confused on "bedding" options for cabins. Are they all just single beds that are pushed together if necessary? :confused: And is an overhead and/or convertible (couch or sofa I think they called it?) really what I think it is - like sleeping nooks in a camper? I really don't mind that arrangement just trying to wrap my mind around what to expect.

Western Caribbean with a stop somewhere in Yucatan MX is what I was leaning toward so glad to hear it may suit.

Thanks again!

We are leaving on our first cruise vacation in less than 2 weeks. I have children who are 14, 12, 9, and 6. The cruise seemed appealing, because there would be many things for different ages. I'm finding it tough to keep all of my children happy with the big age gap from oldest to youngest.

I had no idea where to start, since we had never cruised before. I contacted a travel agent I had used in the past for Disney World. Her firm does ony Disney and cruises. She personally checks out ships, so she knows which are okay. And she has teenagers that she has cruised with, so she knows what works. I gave her our dates, kids ages, we wanted to leave out of a Florida port and go to Caribbean, 5 day cruise, and we wanted connecting cabins since we have two younger children (I wasn't comfortable putting them across the hall). She gave me a list of all the cruises she would recommend that fit our criteria. We narrowed that down to 3, which she priced for me. We went with the least expensive which happened to be leaving from Miami with stops in Grand Cayman and Key West - those ports were very appealing to us. The other two had Mexican stops, which we weren't as thrilled with. We're sailing on Celebrity.

I"m not sure if $5k is realistic for a 7 day cruise w/ airfare. Everyone recommended we fly in a day ahead of our cruise, which adds another night's expense. It depends on how much airfare is. I think our total budget came out to about $8k for 6 people, 5 day cruise, airfare from NYC, 1 night in Ft Lauderdale, transportation to/from FLL and POM, excursion on GC, tips, drinks, a few souvenirs, food on travel days and in ports. Of course we haven't actually done the cruise, yet, so I might be off, but I'm usually pretty good with budgeting.

I would recommend getting a travel agent who specializes in cruises. They will know which ships make sense for your family. Get some prices on the cruise and airfare and see if it works for your budget.

Good Luck!

Have you thought of a 5 day cruise with a day before and day after in Florida? That way you are not rushed getting from the airport to the cruise ship the day of departure and can relax and have some downtime after the cruise.

In my opinion, Royal Car. has a lot to offer kids your age. The rock walls, the water slides, the teen area, etc. I would look at some of the ships in their fleet. I'm thinking maybe the kids are a little too old for Carnival - but they do offer fun things on board too.

Have fun planning. Sometimes that's part of the fun.

Also, keep in mind that your budget might have to include shore excursions. And they can be pricey. Not that you have to, but why travel to an area you have never been and then not see the island?

As far as rooms, they are going to be small. Some of the balcony suites will give you extra room but not much. And the bathrooms are tiny. And I do mean tiny. No more than 1 person at a time tiny.

Some great posters have put their travel pictures out there - so you can see what the staterooms look like.

Re Bedding:

Pretty much all cabins come with two "twin" beds that can be combined into a "queen." Since they are designed from the ground up to be flexibility - with appropriate toppers and linens, you can't really tell it's two beds when they are combined. The 3rd and 4th berths will be some combination of pullmans that pull down from the ceiling/wall, or pullout couches. I like the images in this thread, since it shows a room with both. You can also get a feel for the overall size of the room. There are a *lot* of pictures on the web of rooms, as well as videos on youtube. Look them over to get a feel for the rooms.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=812785

First I'll apologize for a long post. :o After trying to determine a good family vacation plan for myself, dh and two kids - 15 & 11, our travel agent suggested a cruise as a good option for us. I've never cruised so I have tons of basic questions. I'm sure I'll read all the newbie posts here and do tons of other over-researching but hoping I can start with a few basic answers to begin the decision making process.

Here is some info on us to help: It sounds like we're limited to Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruise lines (due to travel agency and our location?). We have to wait until June to go. Our budget is around $5000. We're planning on cruising somewhere in the Caribbean/Mexico destinations. We are average active people. Nothing too adventurous but not into just lounging around doing nothing for hours either. And want to get some kind of educational or cultural experience out of all the fun.

Okay so my questions:

1. What's a good cruise length? Want to get our money worth and not spend days just on the ship. More ports of call in the itinerary seems like a better bargain for the money and I love the idea of being able to see multiple places but does it really work out well or do you just feel rushed the whole time and don't end up spending enough quality time in any one port? 7 days is a great length, not too long and not too short. Some of the port days can feel rushed, but I think it is a state of mind. If you feel pressured to see it all, you are going to fell rushed.

2. If we do hit a couple different ports should we aim for different types of places? For example, to me Grand Cayman and Cozumel seem very similar, great snorkeling and beautiful beaches/water but are they too similar? My family of 19 went last sept on the western caribbean cruis on the FOS. We started at Hatti (private beech), then went to Jamica, then Grand Caymen and then Cozumel. While all being tropical, all were very different from climate to culture. There is sooooo much to do on shore, you just have to put together a wish list and compare $$$ to duration for each excurision type. The same excursion can differ both in price and time at each port; IE the parasaling. In Hatti, we just chilled at the beech (beware of vendors). In Jamica, we went to the caves and the falls (a must do!). In Grand Caymen we went to the butterfly and turtle farms (baby turtles are so cute; we also went to HELL). In Cozumel we went to a sea turtle snorkle (my favorite excursion) then did lots of shopping on the dock. Prices were really great! Did most of my gift shopping there.

3. I'm confused about cabin selections. How do I know if a cabin will accommodate the 4 of us? Is it ridiculously tight for a family of 4 with teen/preteen? Thinking bathroom space and privacy. You reall need to check with a TA (travel agent) cuz you will get the most bang for your buck. That said, on the cruise web site, go to deck plans and look for the legend. On some ships, rooms that accomadates 3-4 people have a red dot on the room number. There are also other symbols for connecting door, handicap rooms, etc. The legend will explain it all then it is just a matter of looking at the rooms to see if they have a symbol. If I was you..... as a mother of 3, I would book 2 adjoining rooms. You may have to book you and a kid in one room and your husband and a kid in another room, but you don't have to sleep that way. That way you also get TWO bathrooms and plenty of storage room. We just leave the door open btwn the rooms.

4. Where to go? So many options, Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Mexico? Like I said above, we want to feel like we're seeing different types of locales and different cultures. But don't want to do more than a 7 day cruise either. Leaning toward something like a FL Keys, Bahamas or Caymans and/or Mexico destination since it seems like you get a variety.

As I said before, it is all tropical but all different. You will want to go back anyway, so the first choice isn't all that important. My personal fav is Alaska.

I realize no one can make the decision for us ultimately but appreciate any suggestions and opinions you'd like to share on any of this.

My kids had the best time on a ship that offers kid programs. They have their own dances, wii and playstation contests, sports, and even crafts for the younger kids. Well worth the time to research it.

Good Luck!

Archived