Annoyed... Travel insurance or USPS?

Chat Noir

I am so irritated right now I could just spit! But I don't know who to be irritated with...

BerkelyCare/Princess insurance?

OR

The United States Postal Service?

I mailed a claim WEEKS ago for a medical situation I had while onboard Star Princess last year. The claim was for both treatment onboard and trip interruption. Waited... waited... patiently waited... for the response.

Finally decided to call BerkleyCare today to learn the claim status. The representative stated it was never received. So... knowing how insurance companies do all they can to not pay a claim I can't help but wonder if this is the case? Or, maybe the forms really did get lost in the mail??? So, I am annoyed, but who with??? I am certainly annoyed with myself for not checking sooner, and not mailing via Registered/Certified Mail.

New claim form is on it's way (thank goodness I have copies of everything!) and will be returned either registered or certified, with a signature required upon delivery.

Has anyone else had a similar problem when filing an insurance claim?

Has anyone else had a similar problem when filing and insurance claim?
We're preparing our documents for both onboard medical and trip interruption claims from January to Berkley Insurance so I'd be interested in knowing other people's experience. I definitely plan on sending the docs via UPS or FedEx when the time comes so I have documentation that the package was received.

I am not sure how they operate, but maybe calling first to see if there is someone to put "Attention to" on the mailing address. Also can you call and get a case # for reference, then it might be able to be tracked down?

I am not sure how they operate, but maybe calling first to see if there is someone to put "Attention to" on the mailing address. Also can you call and get a case # for reference, then it might be able to be tracked down?
As soon as you have a problem, you call and get a case #. They then send forms to be filled out and signed, which are sent back for payment along with receipts. So you'd have the case # on everything to start with. :)

I mailed mine to Berkely, regular mail, and didn't have a problem one. My check came within a week to 10 days later.

I think this would be a case where the USPS must have lost your letter, or it was misplaced at Berkely. But I didn't have one bit of problem with mine, and it wasn't registered or FedX.

We're preparing our documents for both onboard medical and trip interruption claims from January to Berkley Insurance so I'd be interested in knowing other people's experience. I definitely plan on sending the docs via UPS or FedEx when the time comes so I have documentation that the package was received.

Good idea Pam. Always send things like that by a traceable carrier where you can go to UPS.com/fedex.com and follow the package along the way as well as have proof of delivery.

Mike:)

Yes, I have the case number. Berkely rep just states they have no record of the forms ever being returned to them. She checked my name to be certain of the case number.

Oh well, I'm cooled off a bit now. :D I will just fill them out again and return. I'm currently a nursing student and so busy that time gets by me without my realizing it. Now that I am looking to book again after graduation (yippee!) I was wondering where the claim status stood so I can book with the insurance money and do this cruise up right as opposed to spending it stuck in a cabin!

It will end well, I hope. And good luck Pam in CA. Getting documentation in the first place will save you this headache. :)

And good luck Pam in CA. Getting documentation in the first place will save you this headache. :)
Thanks. We're just waiting for the doctor in FL to verify Jim's medical records and return the forms before we can send them in. Since all of our bills are from FL, we wanted to use the FL doctor rather than a local doctor since he was here for only four days. Getting the forms signed and returned is becoming a big deal, unfortunately.

I am so irritated right now I could just spit! But I don't know who to be irritated with...

BerkelyCare/Princess insurance?

OR

The United States Postal Service?

I mailed a claim WEEKS ago for a medical situation I had while onboard Star Princess last year. The claim was for both treatment onboard and trip interruption. Waited... waited... patiently waited... for the response.

Finally decided to call BerkleyCare today to learn the claim status. The representative stated it was never received. So... knowing how insurance companies do all they can to not pay a claim I can't help but wonder if this is the case? Or, maybe the forms really did get lost in the mail??? So, I am annoyed, but who with??? I am certainly annoyed with myself for not checking sooner, and not mailing via Registered/Certified Mail.

New claim form is on it's way (thank goodness I have copies of everything!) and will be returned either registered or certified, with a signature required upon delivery.

Has anyone else had a similar problem when filing an insurance claim?

Call them, get the number and FAX. Then call again to verify they have it.

We found both Berkley and Princess very helpful and our claim resolved, as promised, when we had to file a claim 2 years ago. If I remember correctly we faxed the docs. and used USPS Priority mail.

Due to a medical concern we had to cancel two bookings for a 14 port Euro/Med cruise just 3 days after final payment. We then "hooped" over to two minis on a 10 day caribbean sailing instead. Our Princess TA, her supervisor and all the Berkley reps. were fantastic in guiding us through the whole process.

Both companies earned my loyalty..........Hello Ruby!:D

I couldn't remember about the case # thing when we made a claim, but it wasn't a medical thing, it was a lost/stolen thing and we got a check in about 2 weeks I think. I know a medical thing like Pam's is gonna take a whole lot longer.

So, I am annoyed, but who with??? I am certainly annoyed with myself for not checking sooner, and not mailing via Registered/Certified Mail.

I think that says who you should be annoyed with in a nutshell! Insurance companies deal with thousands of claims and I have never known them chase a claimant - it is up to you to make sure the documents get there. You could also get mad at USPS but it will do you no good. :)

I've had more than my fair share of claims with Berkley and every time they were reliable and prompt. We've used than more than a dozen times with multiple claims, including dental, for our entire family...no problem. You have two variables, the insurance company and the mail. Either it is delayed/lost in the mail, or lost in the Berkely mail room. Just re-submit it and save the anger.

I think that says who you should be annoyed with in a nutshell! Insurance companies deal with thousands of claims and I have never known them chase a claimant - it is up to you to make sure the documents get there. You could also get mad at USPS but it will do you no good. :)

Now I am annoyed with you! I wanted to slap my computer screen just now! :)

I am not angry. Just annoyed... at someone, somewhere, myself included.

Got the answer to the question I really wanted to know after making a short story long. Berkely has apparently been decent to other's posting here... this little thread can now die a good death.

Now I am annoyed with you! I wanted to slap my computer screen just now! :)

I am not angry. Just annoyed... at someone, somewhere, myself included.

Got the answer to the question I really wanted to know after making a short story long. Berkely has apparently been decent to other's posting here... this little thread can now die a good death.

Chocolate reduces stress and it is much quieter than throwing a screaming fit :)

I mailed mine to Berkely, regular mail, and didn't have a problem one. My check came within a week to 10 days later.

I think this would be a case where the USPS must have lost your letter, or it was misplaced at Berkely. But I didn't have one bit of problem with mine, and it wasn't registered or FedX.

Ditto to Toto's post. I made a claim and had the check in only a few weeks. Much faster than I expected given my often pessimistic expectations with insurance companies.

We just started a claim with CSA. Anyone here have any problems with them? We always buy travel insurance and have never had to use it until this past cruise. DH fractured his fumur and had to go in for a complete hip replacement 3 days before our scheduled sailing. Now waiting to hear back from CSA. Hopefully it will be a good experience. So far they have been very helpful over the phone. We faxed all the info they requested instead of using the postal service.

Last year I submitted a claim to Berkley, sent it Fedex and had a check within a week for all the onboard expenses. I still have an open claim with them and will send for a refund once I am sure that my knee will not require more care.

Sissy

We had a problem a couple years ago when filing a claim, they kept telling us that they did not receive the paperwork and we had to send it in a couple times. We did file get paid but it took a about 6 months. I cannot remember who we used though.

Another vote for the fax machine! Faster, most machines will print out a confirmation sheet if configured to do so, and, if you have access to one at home or work, absolutely free!

Alternatively, some insurance companies also accept e-mails, but it's a real pain to collect together all the different scans.

SirWired

I had a gangway smash my foot, the doctor told me to keep ice on it since it wasw 4 times the size of myright foot. Xray didn't work too well with swollen foot. They had no crutches or wheelchair open for me to use. It was their fault with a gangway that was not secured and had garbage cans on both sides of it not before or after it.

CSA denied the claim a year after I filed it stating they had no medical or accicent forms from RCCL & they claim Consierge CLass stateroom is the same price as a regular balcony that we were moved to. It was a Panama Canal cruise of 14 nights & accident happened on day 4.

So never use them again.

We just started a claim with CSA. Anyone here have any problems with them? We always buy travel insurance and have never had to use it until this past cruise. DH fractured his fumur and had to go in for a complete hip replacement 3 days before our scheduled sailing. Now waiting to hear back from CSA. Hopefully it will be a good experience. So far they have been very helpful over the phone. We faxed all the info they requested instead of using the postal service.

Archived