Onboard Expense vs. Cash

freefallen

I couldn't find this answer via the search, but what are the pro/cons of using your credit card for your Onboard Expense Account versus paying the account in cash?

I'm filling out my Funpass documents now and got befuddled. :confused:

Much thanks!

I couldn't find this answer via the search, but what are the pro/cons of using your credit card for your Onboard Expense Account versus paying the account in cash?

Much thanks!

It depends on you. If you are usually very responsible with your spending, it's easier to use a credit card. You wouldn't ever need to go to the purser's desk on the ship. But if spending too much is a struggle for you, use cash to help control it. Once you've used up the cash that you've put on the account, you aren't able to purchase anything until you add more. You would have to go to the purser's desk to add the cash. There could be lines there.

Do they still give you an update bill midway thru your cruise to let you see what your charges are at that time?

The did on the Imagiation in 2006 and this was very nice and helpful. Even if you put your charges on a CC I would think you could pay in cash at the end of the cruise (If you carry that much money on you...or Traveler's checks???)

I am with k2excursion. If you can monitor your spending and can write a check to pay it off when the CC bill comes then a CC is the way to go. You can always swing by the pursers desk if you porfolio info is not availble on your tv.

If you use a credit card then you fill in your funpass to that effect and they swipe it and you don't have to think about it again as you will get a copy of your bill in your mailbox or you can check on the tv to see the status of your account. With cash you will be lining up to settle the account.

Unless you have a problem controlling yourself a credit card is by far the easiest way to go.

Another option if you choose is doing both. Use your credit card when you check-in and then later in the cruise, after the lines are down, put cash on your account. This minimizes the amount on your card, but gives the flexibility of not having to wait in line at the pursers desk and your sail and sign is active as far as early spending shipboard.

You can use a credit card to satisfy the info for the funpass. Once you get to port, you can always change it. If you have the cash for your S&S, might as well use the Credit Card and pay off the bill when it comes in.

If you have a credit card that pays you in some sort of way for using it, AND you pay it off every month, it is a good way to get that FREE whatever from the credit card company. If you don't pay it off, then i would bring the cash that you feel comfortable spending..Enjoy your cruise...:rolleyes:

Do they still give you an update bill midway thru your cruise to let you see what your charges are at that time?

The did on the Imagiation in 2006 and this was very nice and helpful. Even if you put your charges on a CC I would think you could pay in cash at the end of the cruise (If you carry that much money on you...or Traveler's checks???)

You can check your balance on the TV in your cabin.

I opened a bank account just for use on vacations. I went with the 200 a day per person but only spent about 700 a day. We monitored our spending on our tv in the room. You can see how much you have spent. The only thing I didn't like about using the card was that there was a hold on my account for the whole 1400 for about 3 days after we got home. I called the bank and they straightened it out.

Paul W has the right idea. Use CC on funpass, then sometime during the cruise sneak up to the pursers desk late at night or early in the a.m. and put down a cash deposit. If you do not spend it all you will get a check on the last day with your statement. If you go over, only that amount goes on the Credit Card.

Another option is to buy funship dollars in advance and have them applied as O.B.C. buy them with a visa check card online on the carnival website and put in your booking # and cabin # as your address. You have to do this at least two weeks before the cruise starts. You will get a confirmation e-mail and they will appear as a credit on your booking. Some people buy a little each month.

Tom in Long Beach

Thanks everyone for the info. The credit card and cash combo sounds good.

However, I remember that they authorize a certain amount each day on your credit card anyways? Does anyone know how much? I'm on a 5-night cruise.

Much thanks!

If you are doing the fun pass, just stick down 4 numbers from a CC.

Then you will have until you check in at the port to actually decide what you want to do.

You can put down the CC for the fun pass and then change it with no problem.

Archived