West Bay / West End by local bus from Carnival pier?

tonppa

Is it possible to do the beach-trip on your own without expensive taxi-ride? We are on a budget and want to see local lifestyle. Do we need local currency to pay the bus? Can we get local currency from the ship or should we use ATM at the harbour?

There are buses that travel from French Harbor to Coxen Hole and then from Coxen Hole to Westend. I think the fare is around 30 lempira (about $1.60) for each leg as you probably change buses. And you have to pay in lempira, which you should be able to convert at your ship's pursers/guest services desk. These are mini buses like in Grand Cayman and you can flag them down. They run approximately every 30 minutes. It's a slower way to go though. They are transporting locals and they do travel through the streets of Coxen hole before heading to West End.

Here's a link with some information on the buses and alternative taxi fares.

http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

Maybe Captain Van or Roatan1 can shed some ex-pat light.

Is it possible to do the beach-trip on your own without expensive taxi-ride? We are on a budget and want to see local lifestyle. Do we need local currency to pay the bus? Can we get local currency from the ship or should we use ATM at the harbour?

We are planning to go to Foster's West Bay Resort. We went there one other time and loved it!!! It has a reef right off the shore and the beach and water were so beautiful! It costs around $30 one way for 4 people and then you have to pay $5 entrance fee and $7 to rent chairs. The resort will pick up groups of 8 at the pier, take them back, provide entrance fee, use of chairs and facilities, and a complimentary drink for $25 a person. We have 4 and are trying to find 4 more that would be willing to go in with us on reserving transportation to and from the resort at the $25/person cost. This is what we did before and it worked well. Any takers?:)

We are planning to go to Foster's West Bay Resort. We went there one other time and loved it!!! It has a reef right off the shore and the beach and water were so beautiful! It costs around $30 one way for 4 people and then you have to pay $5 entrance fee and $7 to rent chairs. The resort will pick up groups of 8 at the pier, take them back, provide entrance fee, use of chairs and facilities, and a complimentary drink for $25 a person. We have 4 and are trying to find 4 more that would be willing to go in with us on reserving transportation to and from the resort at the $25/person cost. This is what we did before and it worked well. Any takers?:)

Again these fares are from Coxen Hole's pier. Not the new Mahogany Bay. If you're cruising on Carnival, Princess or HAL, you'll most likely dock in Mahogany Bay and taxi fares to West End are at least $20 higher if you go outside the port area(entails a steep hill climb) and possibly more if you catch a cab inside the MBCC complex.

• 2 months later...

We are interested. DH and I. What sail are you on?

Three years ago I was able to walk across the street to the Street vendors and into town a block or two. I had directions with pictures of the route I was to take. I understand this may have changed since. We were able to take a bus (van) with other local passengers all the way to west end for $5 us each. I am looking for the info on how I did this. as I would do this again this cruise.

I will post if I find my previous history.

My game plan is to always get away from the cruise area as far as you feel safe. Then you can find a taxi or bus at a fraction of the price and explore some of the local area outside the tourist area.

Wade...if the winds permit the Valor to dock in Mahogany Bay, go out the cruiseport area, up th ehill and outside the gates and find a local cabbie to take you where you want to go. They'll be cheaper than the "sanctioned" cabs inside the gates. If you dock in Coxen Hole due to wind, follow your stuff from 3 years ago. It's be fairly good.

Now go back over to the Belize boards and give that woman wanting spa info on Ambergris Caye the straight dope.

Crew

Archived