Gold by the Foot?

NYGirl1002

or is it inch?

Is it on the CB? I need to change something that (big surprise) faded lol

Either or Both...... by the foot is 12 times the price of an inch... most of the time ~~!!~~:)

The answer to your question is very simple. NO THEY WILL NOT. What they will do is give you the address of the company to which you need to send your item for replacement (which I believe you already have). Trust me, I just tried it recently, even though I gave the attempt a 99% chance of failure, and of course it failed.

I would beg you to consider getting solid carat gold if it is an item which is going to be worn a lot, even 10 karat gold. Those plated items turn blackish in a remarkably short period of time if they are in contact with your skin for any great length of time. I know. Although I have always bought real gold for my wife, when I started needing to wear a medicinal fob around my neck 2 years ago, I wanted a chain heavy enough for a man (I think 2 or 3 mm chains look effeminate for a guy -- my opinion). I didn't want to buy such a heavy chain for myself, so I bought a chain from IOG. Mistake. Mistake. Not only did it blacken very quickly, but by the time I decided the IOG necklace was unwearable (as I didn't want to spend the rest of my life returning it to IOG for replacement every 6 months), the price of gold had risen from $600 an ounce to $1000 an ounce. Ouch -- my chain weighs 42 grams. Wish I had simply bitten the bullet at the beginning.

Bill

My daughter and I both exchanged ours on the ship - don't remember which ship - but we just handed them the chain, and it was replaced, no receipt or paper work needed. I've worn a few of mine for years and never had a problem. Good Luck

The answer to your question is very simple. NO THEY WILL NOT. What they will do is give you the address of the company to which you need to send your item for replacement (which I believe you already have). Trust me, I just tried it recently, even though I gave the attempt a 99% chance of failure, and of course it failed.

I would beg you to consider getting solid carat gold if it is an item which is going to be worn a lot, even 10 karat gold. Those plated items turn blackish in a remarkably short period of time if they are in contact with your skin for any great length of time. I know. Although I have always bought real gold for my wife, when I started needing to wear a medicinal fob around my neck 2 years ago, I wanted a chain heavy enough for a man (I think 2 or 3 mm chains look effeminate for a guy -- my opinion). I didn't want to buy such a heavy chain for myself, so I bought a chain from IOG. Mistake. Mistake. Not only did it blacken very quickly, but by the time I decided the IOG necklace was unwearable (as I didn't want to spend the rest of my life returning it to IOG for replacement every 6 months), the price of gold had risen from $600 an ounce to $1000 an ounce. Ouch -- my chain weighs 42 grams. Wish I had simply bitten the bullet at the beginning.

Bill

I am going to disagree with your statement as highlighted above. In 2002 I "lost" my gold ankle chain that I'd been wearing for 20+ years. On my next Princess cruise I purchase another one, though this time it was the "inch of gold." That chain has been on my ankle 24/7 for the past 8 years. It has not turned black or any other color. Still looks as good as the day I bought it. I also subsequently found the lost one, but still wear the cheapie one.

Besides...it gives us an incentive to cruise once a year at least.

I'm impressed Pia! I don't blame you for wearing it if there's nothing wrong with it. I can only hope my next one lasts longer than the one I have now, after all I got it on Carnival last year.

Boy, was my advice out to lunch!!

I guess the IOG salesman saw a fool coming along from a distance and knew to tell me that I had to send it in for a replacement. Or maybe I was so convinced they would say "no" that they could read it in my eyes.:) In any case I am glad the rest of you have had much better luck than I did.

As to wearing it 24/day and not darkening, that I find rather difficult to believe. However, what I can say for sure is that mine definitely did darken to the point that I would not wear it. Perhaps the key is not to sweat!

Bho, I was not expecting more. I was hoping for more. But I am an inveterate optimist, so no surprise there. I am just not a good commodities prognosticator.

Bill

I bought a silver necklace last March and was wearing it 24/7. After 3 or 4 months it was so dull and ugly that I threw it away. I did not know you could exchange them. Now I know.....!

However, due to the cost of the chain for this extremely poor quality, I do not think I will purchase anything from IOG again. I will just add a couple more dollars and buy sterling.

Boy, was my advice out to lunch!!

I guess the IOG salesman saw a fool coming along from a distance and knew to tell me that I had to send it in for a replacement. Or maybe I was so convinced they would say "no" that they could read it in my eyes.:) In any case I am glad the rest of you have had much better luck than I did.

As to wearing it 24/day and not darkening, that I find rather difficult to believe. However, what I can say for sure is that mine definitely did darken to the point that I would not wear it. Perhaps the key is not to sweat!

Bho, I was not expecting more. I was hoping for more. But I am an inveterate optimist, so no surprise there. I am just not a good commodities prognosticator.

Bill

Believe it. It gets a shower at least once a day and is still shining as brightly like the day it was bought. Skin types are known to affect jewelry changes; even the good stuff.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the type of chain makes the difference in its longevity. The chain which darkened was a heavy diamond cut braided rope chain. Is it possible that the braiding and rope-like texture makes it difficult to get a uniform gold plating? That is to say, as opposed to Bismark chains, cable chains, box chains, figaro chains, Cuban link chains, etc. etc.

Will they replace these on the ship?

I have always mailed my daughter's to IOG for replacement.

Mike:)

I bought an ankle bracelet on Celebrity. I had the fastner changed on NCL last year (lost it's colour), no problem at all. BTW, after 5 years, the chain, now the fastner, are as good as new. I had a bracelet made as a gift on NCL in April '09, on closer inspection when I got it home, a bead was missing, in Aug '09, I got it changed for a new one with no questions asked. :D

I bought an 18" chain for my husband almost 5 years ago on the Island Princess. It had tarnished and I couldn't find my paperwork to send in for a replacement. In Feb 2009 we were on the RCCL Brilliance, and I took the chain to the Gold by Inch desk because I decided to just buy a new one for my husband. I handed the chain to the guy at the desk and asked him how long it was because I wanted to make I bought the same size. There were other people standing around looking at the chains. Without saying a word he cut me a new chain, put the clasps on, put it in a bag and handed it to me. I thanked him profusely!! I figured this was pretty good getting RCCL to replace something I bought on Princess.

Archived