Sightseeing from Brooklyn Pier

mrspaper

Friends of mine are arriving at the Brooklyn Pier in Oct. They dock from 8 - 5. I was wondering if anyone had experience going into NY on their own or if it's better to do a Princess tour, due to traffic concerns and getting back to the ship.

Does anyone know if the water taxi runs from the pier?

I would love to pick them up in NY and show them around, but I don't want to jeapordize their returning to the ship.

Linda

Friends of mine are arriving at the Brooklyn Pier in Oct. They dock from 8 - 5. I was wondering if anyone had experience going into NY on their own or if it's better to do a Princess tour, due to traffic concerns and getting back to the ship.

Does anyone know if the water taxi runs from the pier?

I would love to pick them up in NY and show them around, but I don't want to jeapordize their returning to the ship.

Linda

I think it would be fine to pick them up and take them around for the day. Or they could grab a taxi and meet you somewhere and then you can return them to port. Since it is a port of call for them, and will be the only ship in that port, traffic should not be bad to get them back. Just plan on having them back a little early, say 3:30. They would most likely have to be back onboard by 4:30. Surely, you can show them a better time. ;)

The water taxi leaves from IKEA and from Fairway....about a mile or so from the cruise terminal. Even during rush hour from Manhattan it shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes by cab but take directions with you. The better alternative is to take the subway back to Brooklyn and then have Arecibo pick you up from the subway station.

The water taxi leaves from IKEA and from Fairway....about a mile or so from the cruise terminal. Even during rush hour from Manhattan it shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes by cab but take directions with you. The better alternative is to take the subway back to Brooklyn and then have Arecibo pick you up from the subway station.

Who or what is Arecibo?

Do you know what the first stop is in Manhattan for the water taxi?

I suppose you're right that i could make sure I get them back to port and leave NYC by 3:30. That should work.

Does Princess have transport only into NY?

Who or what is Arecibo?

Do you know what the first stop is in Manhattan for the water taxi?

I suppose you're right that i could make sure I get them back to port and leave NYC by 3:30. That should work.

Does Princess have transport only into NY?

Arecibo is a local car service. 7187836465.

The first stop in Manhattan for the Water Taxi is in lower Manhattan. Unless this is the only place you want to go, getting to the water taxi stop and then having to wait for the water taxi's schedule won't save you any time at all. The stop in Manhattan is not near public transportation.

The closest subway stop to the Brooklyn cruise terminal is either the Smith and 9th street stop or the Carroll Gardens Stop on the F and G trains. Its about a mile from the cruise terminal. If you take the subway I would get off at the Boro Hall Stop in Brooklyn(the 2,3,4,5, N, R F C and A trains all stop there) and then get Arecibo to pick you up(normally in 10 minutes or so). If you take a cab from anywhere you will need to carry directions. Most cab drivers either honestly don't know where the cruise terminal is or will say they don't because they don't want to go there.

In Brooklyn you want to get to Atlantic Avenue westbound-towards the NY Harbor- and then make a left at the end-after you pass under the highway- make the first right and then follow the road around until Bowne Street and make the right into the pier.

In Manhattan it depends on whether you are on the east side or west side.

On the west side get to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel(toll $6.00) take first first exit immediately after the toll and make two lefts being careful not to get back onto the Tunnel-yes you just made a U turn and follow the signs. The cruise terminal is immediately behind the tunnel exit....

On the East side its the Brooklyn Bridge(no toll) go straight ahead to Atlantic Avenue(its about 6-7 lights after the Bridge highway ends make the right on Atlantic and follow the directions above for Brooklyn.

At the pier there will be taxi's(sometimes) and limos waiting. The limos are retained by the cruise terminal and will charge twice what a cab would charge and twice what Arecibo charges for the same run.

The cruise lines do have bus transports into Manhattan but they charge for them too and if you are more than one person a cab/Arecibo is cheaper.

They used to run a free mini bus to take crew to the Boro hall subway but I don't know if they still do and if they will let non crew on it. On the non crew buses into Manhattan I don't know if they allow non passengers...and this is a pay transport anyway and I don't know how a non passenger would pay for it.

If you drive into the City from New City(yes I know where that is), you can park on the street during the day near the cruise terminal-for free- and then walk in to meet them. You can drive to Ikea and park your car for free and take the water taxi for $5 pp or for free sometimes. If you are going to use the subway parking near the Boro hall subway stops is about $20 per day and street parking in Brooklyn Heights during the day is impossible. There is a Loew Home improvement store near the Smith and 9th street subway stop- close enough to walk- park as close to 9th street as possible- I haven't left my car there but I have left it as Ikea when I took the water taxi. Parking in Carroll Gardens on the street is not easy during the day but it will be easier then Brooklyn Heights. It is safe in any of these neighborhoods to leave a car during the day- making sure nothing valuable is showing assuming you aren't driving a $50,000 car.

I live in Brooklyn and park on the street the only place my car in all my life has been broken into was near Macy's at night in Manhattan.

BTW the directions to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal from New City are take the Palisades Parkway to the GW Bridge. GW to the Harlem River Drive(FDR) to the Brooklyn Bridge and follow the directions above for the Brooklyn Bridge east side...

without traffic on a weekend it should not take an hour. With traffic on a weekday it will take a lot more...possibly twice as much.

Thanks for the directions

I will meet them in Manhattan and then return them in the eve. I am worried I will not get to Brooklyn on time in the am, unless I leave at 5 am. Who knows, maybe I will. Your directions are probably better than mapquest.

Thanks for the directions

I will meet them in Manhattan and then return them in the eve. I am worried I will not get to Brooklyn on time in the am, unless I leave at 5 am. Who knows, maybe I will. Your directions are probably better than mapquest.

well at least at 5 am there won't be any traffic. Its not a difficult drive. good luck. enjoy BTW if you get back early and have time, Fairway is a great place to have a cup of coffee and watch the NY Harbor with a view of the Statue of Liberty(and has a parking lot too but they watch it more closely then Ikea so leaving a car there all day is not an option)

Fair way is located the the end of Van Brunt street.

well at least at 5 am there won't be any traffic. Its not a difficult drive. good luck. enjoy BTW if you get back early and have time, Fairway is a great place to have a cup of coffee and watch the NY Harbor with a view of the Statue of Liberty(and has a parking lot too but they watch it more closely then Ikea so leaving a car there all day is not an option)

Fair way is located the the end of Van Brunt street.

great, we love Fairway

Guess the one in Brooklyn has a small cafe

Hi Linda

I take it we are the freinds you are taking all this trouble for - love the new pic you've used from our cruise on the Coral.

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to give advice to help us.

Jim and Kath

Hi Linda

I take it we are the freinds you are taking all this trouble for - love the new pic you've used from our cruise on the Coral.

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to give advice to help us.

Jim and Kath

"You be them"

Can't wait to show you around.

Archived