Red Sea Cruise April 8th

Hi, DJ and welcome to CC. :)

We were on this cruise in Feb, and enjoyed it so much that we've booked it again for next year! Do try to get in the water at some time, as the fish life over the coral reefs is amazing. And enjoy the shows- don't be like the reviewer from London who didn't bother, because they visit the West End all the time......You'll see fresh-faced, highly talented, enthusiastic singers and dancers performing like older professionals, with fast costume changes and spot on the note! Remarkable, actually.

Jo.

Hi just managed to get my Wife on a cruise after 10 years of trying!!!

wondering if anyone else is booked on the Celebration on the 8th April?

Am I looking forward to it You Bet!!!!!!:)

Hi my husband my two children my mum and niece and myself are on the cruise on the 8th of April,we are looking forward to it, which airport do you fly from:):):)

Hi - I am a new user and couldn't work out how to start a new thread but saw you guys were chatting about the celebration so thought I would ask you....

We are going on the Red Sea Magic Thomson Celebration Cruise this Thursday (April 1st) and wondered when the gala night/cocktail party was held - is it on a sea day? Also can someone tell me more about the format of the evening (clothing etc - for my, my husband and 2 young sons - aged 10 and 7). I'm really looking forward to everything about the cruise and the gala night intrigues me - any info would be gratefully apprecaited - with thanks.

Rachael :cool:

Hi - I am a new user and couldn't work out how to start a new thread but saw you guys were chatting about the celebration so thought I would ask you....

We are going on the Red Sea Magic Thomson Celebration Cruise this Thursday (April 1st) and wondered when the gala night/cocktail party was held - is it on a sea day? Also can someone tell me more about the format of the evening (clothing etc - for my, my husband and 2 young sons - aged 10 and 7). I'm really looking forward to everything about the cruise and the gala night intrigues me - any info would be gratefully apprecaited - with thanks.

Rachael :cool:

Hello Rachael and welcome!

Yes, the Gala night is on the sea day – it’s much more relaxing getting ready when you've not just got back from a trip!! :D In any event some of the trips on this cruise are so long and get back so late, it would mean many passengers couldn't get to the Gala Night.

There are two sittings (unlike every other night when you go to eat when you want to). They will probably put you on first sitting because of the age of your younger child - but if not, you can get your sitting swapped if you prefer. The Maitre d' sits outside the dining room in the morning (you are notified where and when in the Cruise News, the daily ’newspaper’ telling you about everything that’s going on onboard) and you can arrange a change of sitting then. Everyone queues up to have photos taken - at least two before you get to the Capt., shake his hand and have your photo taken (again!). The photos are a bit of a carry-on but they can be a lovely if expensive keepsake – they are a bit over-priced IMO though.

Then you go into the show lounge where free drinks are served and you sit around chatting to other travellers comparing notes etc. - the band is playing too. The Capt comes eventually after all the meeting and greeting of passengers (I bet it's such a chore for him!!) and introduces his 'team', says a few words and then invites you into dinner. Some Capts are very entertaining - others a bit of a non-event!

Dressing up is a personal choice and ranges for men from DJs to suits or even shirt and tie (although most people do dress up to make it a more special occasion.) On shorter trips such as this there could be a lower percentage of DJs but a large proportion of passengers do have evening wear.

The same is true for ladies - long dresses are very popular but also very smart trousers with dressy/glittery tops and cocktail length dresses. But you can easily adopt a 'red carpet' look should you wish and not be at all out of place. I find it's a good excuse to get out my glad rags!!

As for your sons I would suggest a bright/fun bow tie worn with a traditional white school shirt - perhaps even a waistcoat if they fancy that and smart trousers. That is an acknowledgment of a more 'special' occasion and they may find it fun choosing a tie they like before they go. I always think the youngsters look great with just a small concession to 'formal' wear and usually they receive lots of compliments from fellow travellers (how smart they look etc., etc.) and they look really proud. There's really no need to buy suits or go over the top for children - an unnecessary expense really especially as they will grow out of them so quickly. (Men's formal wear is so reasonable these days - investing in a suit for about £50 at M&S and other outlets is a not a bad idea if you 'do' cruises as you soon get your money's worth out of them - I bet you will be converted like the rest of us! :))

There is, of course, always the option to eat in the Lido restaurant if you prefer more casual dress.

You must be getting really excited now - not long to wait. Have a wonderful time - and do let us know how you got on. :)

Rachael - if you want to get a feel of onboard life - have a look at grannypops threads posted yesterday on all kinds of info you receive once onboard. Hers relate to Pharaohs and the Promised land on Spirit but it is much the same on Celebration although of course the destinations are different and the bar selection is actually rather better on Celebration - but you may find reading these posts really helpful to give you some background.

Hi there,

Oh yes, definitely recommend getting dolled right up for the Captain's cocktail party/gala dinner. It is so much fun to get involved and and most people on my cruise last week did dress up. It doesn't matter if you don't want to though it's not compulsory and you can go to the self serve restaurant that evening should you wish.

Get yourself something sparkly or glam up a plainer dress with an evening bag and some glitzy costume jewellery. A lot of ladies wore dresses with bolero/shrug type evening jackets. I'd say you're ok in any dress or smart wear as a lady - go for it - think posh wedding, black tie dinner dance, you can even imagine you're you're going to an event such as the Oscars - there's no way you'll be overdressed!

Even if you're not someone who ever wears dresses, try it, there were all shapes and sizes onboard and some people who I could not have imagined wearing suits scrubbed up surprisingly well... Most men wore black dinner suits with bow ties, some men wore kilts and looked equally great. You can book a slot for the party day to have your hair and/or make up done in the ship's salon, it adds to the luxury. The photos ARE expensive but you can just buy one and get copies made from it once back home.

The boys can wear shirts and ties and their smart school trousers and shoes. BHS do formalwear for boys. My 9 year old grandson wore a black tuxedo dinner suit with the satin collar and satin stripe down the outside of the trouser legs, complete with white wing collar shirt, black satin cummerbund and bow tie. I got it all off eBay for a tenner (worn once) but don't tell him hahaha - he looked the biz and everyone complimented him... he thought he was going to a 'James Bond party' and did start the evening as 007 but after knocking back Fanta all night, somehow turned into Mr Bean :D

My 9 year old grandson wore a black tuxedo dinner suit with the satin collar and satin stripe down the outside of the trouser legs, complete with white wing collar shirt, black satin cummerbund and bow tie. I got it all off eBay for a tenner (worn once) but don't tell him hahaha - he looked the biz and everyone complimented him... he thought he was going to a 'James Bond party' and did start the evening as 007 but after knocking back Fanta all night, somehow turned into Mr Bean :D

Grannypops

Love it.:D:D:D

:) - Thanks folks for all your advice - that is so helpful. How much is a photo to purchase? Can we have a look at it before we decide whether to purchase or not - would hate one of me pulling a face! :o

Getting so excited now and started the packing today...

This time next week we'll be at the gala dinner :D

All the photos are on display in the gallery to view and there is no obligation to buy. One or two, especially on Formal night, make a nice souvenir.

Have a wonderful time! We are on Celebration for the first time in June, have sailed on Destiny before and on P&O.

Carol x

The photos are all displayed outside the Lido buffet, so you can decide which to buy.

Don't forget that there are laundries on board if you spill your drinks...;) and the machines have the detergent already added.

If you finish reading a book, you can leave it in the library.

On the last day, the times of your airport bus will be shown on a screen in the show lounge. Until that time, you can go off for a trip, or just enjoy the ship- eg. our bus was 3.50 for a 7.30pm flight, so OH had a last snorkel, a late lunch and even joined the daily quizz!

Enjoy!

Jo.

:) - Thanks folks for all your advice - that is so helpful. How much is a photo to purchase? Can we have a look at it before we decide whether to purchase or not - would hate one of me pulling a face! :o

Getting so excited now and started the packing today...

This time next week we'll be at the gala dinner :D

I think they were £14.99 but sometimes there is an offer of 3 for 2. You'll have plenty of opportunity to view them - they're displayed in an area that looks like rogues gallery!!:D They are a nice souvenir though - but I always think it's a shame they don't sell them for a fiver and probably they'd get rid of the majority. As it is, they throw hundreds away. I'm sure it would be more profitable to sell cheaper and massively increase turn-over.

Enjoy your trip - not long now :D And do let us know how you got on.

That's exactly what I thought Kruzseeka, if they sold them a fiver each then we'd buy all of them. I there were 10 on display over the week of us all taken on gala night as they took one with captain notorious :D and some of us each at dinner and others in front of the fake backgrounds and three were of my grandson on his own. They all were lovely and I did get the buy 2 get 1 free at £14.99 each they are 8"x10".

The one with the captain was 6" x 8" and you got a small size of the pic print in a fridge magnet free - these cost £12.99. I think key rings were 8 or 9 pounds each.

Hey, I know I'm raving about eBay again, but you can buy those empty plastic fridge magnets and key rings on there cheaply ready to put your own pics in them. I had some left over from another time I was copying some professional pics we had done rather than pay for the key rings and so today I've scanned the photos we bought from the ship and and printed out small sizes of them (on ordinary paper) to make keyrings of my little James Bond in his tux to give to his mum and other nanny :)

Archived