We're going with Celebrity for our honeymoon in July 2011

shoegal24

Thanks to those who responded to my original post. We've decided we're going to do our Alaskan honeymoon in July 2011. When the itineraries come out this week, we're going to put down our deposit. I love that we can get a refund up to 60 days should anything prevent us from taking our honeymoon.

I have a few more questions I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

1. Should we use a travel agent to book, or can we just book online? What is the better option?

2. Has anyone done the whale watching, railway tour or the zip lining excursions? I was checking out the brochure and those ones look awesome!

3. And finally, does Celebrity have tables of 2 in the dinning room, or are we going to sit with strangers at a large table?

4. Do you know if Celebrity allows smoking on the balconies? I hope they don't. As much as I appreciate a smoker's right to smoke, I get bad allergies when I'm around smoke.

So if Celebrity does allow smoking on balconies we're not going to get a balcony, fearing that our neighbours may light up beside us, but if smoking on the balcony is prohibited, we're getting a balcony.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I'm thrilled we've made a decision and can't wait for our honeymoon!! :eek::eek:

Thanks to those who responded to my original post. We've decided we're going to do our Alaskan honeymoon in July 2011. When the itineraries come out this week, we're going to put down our deposit. I love that we can get a refund up to 60 days should anything prevent us from taking our honeymoon.

1. Should we use a travel agent to book, or can we just book online? What is the better option?

2. Has anyone done the whale watching, railway tour or the zip lining excursions? I was checking out the brochure and those ones look awesome!

3. And finally, does Celebrity have tables of 2 in the dinning room, or are we going to sit with strangers at a large table?

4. Do you know if Celebrity allows smoking on the balconies? I hope they don't. As much as I appreciate a smoker's right to smoke, I get bad allergies when I'm around smoke.

So if Celebrity does allow smoking on balconies we're not going to get a balcony, fearing that our neighbours may light up beside us, but if smoking on the balcony is prohibited, we're getting a balcony.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I'm thrilled we've made a decision and can't wait for our honeymoon!! :eek::eek:

congrats!!

first of all start posting on the Alaskan boards now.. we season starting in May you will get answers.

no smoking! hope you are booking the Millie. you can use ships tours or local. book your own cruise then in Jan or feb give it to a TA. msot give OBC.. book your own air.. add time in Sward and vancouver to enjoy- one is all Alaska- the other is a great city.

Congrats! I can answer a couple of your questions.

1. I have booked through Celebrity w/ no problems. Nice to be able to manage your reservation online. This time we went with a TA (advertised on CC) as they had pre-paid gratuities. When there was a price drop they credited it right away (but they are only open weekdays). Also had them change the cabin with no problem. I'd say book with X and then transfer to a TA if you can get some perks thrown in.

3. We couldn't get a table for 2 on Century but were in Blu on Equinox so table for 2 was always available. don't know if you are going on an S class ship but if you are do consider AQ - it would be very romantic!

4. No smoking on balconies, thank goodness. Sometimes people break the rules and X staff seems to handle it pretty quickly. My feeling is, I selected X for the non smoking policy, why let someone else ruin it. Stay away from balconies near smoking area on port side (deck 5). There have been reports of drifting smoke around this area. Having a balcony is wonderful and often quite private.

i am sure there are some tables for 3 but half the fun of cruising is meeting and touring with people. when this summer is over you will be able to find yuor RC and meet people that way.. you will have plenty of time to be alone- enjoy meeting people.

shoegal24,

Congratulations on your wedding coming up in 2011. We hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did, 2 times.

Whale watching out of Juneau we have done two times. Saw whales both time including last year when we saw a humback breach about 12 times. The crew on the boat couldn't believe it. Plus we saw more than one humpback; also travelled alongside a pod of about 12 orcas for at least 1/2 hr.

We did the White Pass train ride out of Skagway and really enjoyed it. Good scenery and you can look back and see the ship in town.

These two trips were not that pricey. But we did not do ziplining, just a walk in the forest.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Regards,

Barbara

There were a few tables for 2 on the Infiinty but not many. We have only cruised twice, but both times sat at a table for 6 and had great table mates. Celebrity has very few indoor smoking areas and there is no smoking on the balconies or in the cabins which is probably what will keep us on them. Enjoy the planning!

... don't know if you are going on an S class ship but if you are do consider AQ....
Celebrity has been using the C class Mercury and M class ships in Alaska. Is there specific talk of putting a Solstice class ship in the Pacific? Up to now, there has never been an S class ship there [and they are too big to go thru the Panama Canal, so it would be a long trip]. With three S class ships on the water and two more under contract for 2011 and 2012 delivery [and I believe two more under option], seems like it is only a matter of time until one is sent to the Pacific.

Thom

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!!

1. We have been on Celebrity many times. I recommend that you go through a travel agent. There is no downside risk. If the price is reduced, your agent will make the necessary adjustment. I booked a cruise to celebrate my husband's special birthday. Since I wanted a specific cruise, and a specific date, I booked very early. From the time I booked, until the final payment was due, my agent made 4 price reductions, and I saved almost $4000 (for three of us).

2. We are also planning a trip to Alaska....July 2011. We want to do helicopter/dogsledding or helicopter/glacier hike in Juneau. We will do whale watching and zipline in Icy Strait Point. In Ketchikan, Floatplane to Misty Fiords and the Bering Sea Fisherman Tour. In Skagway, we will take the 7.5 hour White Pass Rail (and van) Tour.

3. There are definitely tables for 2 in the dining room. Book early....request a table for two....mention that you will be on your honeymoon....and make sure that you confirm with the maitre d after you board the ship. You shouldn't have any problem.

4. Absolutely NO SMOKING on the balconies. My son is very allergic, too.

Have a great time. Maybe we will be on the same trip.

... I recommend that you go through a travel agent. There is no downside risk. If the price is reduced, your agent will make the necessary adjustment...
Before booking ask the Travel Agent if there is a charge for repricing. Some charge everytime; most charge for price changes after final payment. My TA's standard company policy is to charge for changes after Final Payment, but since I asked and am a good customer I have IN WRITING that they will make price adjustments for me at no charge. Agents vary a lot - ask friends and relatives for references for ones they have had good luck with. I am leaving for my second Alaska cruise in May - glorious scenery, especially if the weather cooperates.

Thom

shoegal24,

We are sailing on X for our honeymoon in November 2010 as well. We booked a concierge level room. the easiest way for you to guarantee dinner reservations and table size is to go to the main dining room and talk to the Maitre D as soon as you board, and an extra tip never hurts. We bookd through a TA and they have honored the price changes with no problems at all. If they make a fuss, change TA's, or call X and they will change it. Hope you have a lovely honeymoon.

i use to use a TA until i had a bad one. . now i book online.. there is a spot that asks you what time you want dinner on the website etc.

go port side- seemed everytime we were docked portside had the views.

now i book everything and give it tohthe TA for extra OBC..but she really does notihng for me. plusi changed cabins and rebooked a cruise in minutes while she was traveling.

Archived