Radiance 3/12 sailing: Man overboard

Oscar is the nautical term for Man Overboard. That particular term should not be used for any other purpose, so yes, it was either a man overboard or a mob drill.

Interestingly, 'Oscar' is also the word used to express the letter O in the phonetic alphabet. I bet that causes confusion.

Does anyone have a list of other terms and signals we might hear while on board?

Thanks

Interestingly, 'Oscar' is also the word used to express the letter O in the phonetic alphabet. I bet that causes confusion.

Does anyone have a list of other terms and signals we might hear while on board?

Thanks

Alpha - medical emergency

Bravo - fire on board

Echo - ship drifting (our ship or a nearby ship) such as what happened twice recently when a poorly piloted Carnival ship bashed a tied-up RC ship.

They dont have a forward speed of 22 knots added to the fall.

Agreed, but I was responding to the statement that the water would be like concrete from that height. The forward speed of the ship would add difficulty in making a safe entry, but would have no effect on the "hardness" of the water.:rolleyes:

I just would like to add a small thing about this person. I was a friend of his for 15 years and it is very sad. Yes he was on the ship a short time but things happen.

It is good to hear that everything that could be done was done. I know that is family will be glad to hear this.

Thank you all for the condolences. It is a very sad time.

I just would like to add a small thing about this person. I was a friend of his for 15 years and it is very sad. Yes he was on the ship a short time but things happen.

It is good to hear that everything that could be done was done. I know that is family will be glad to hear this.

So sorry for your and his family's loss.

Agreed, but I was responding to the statement that the water would be like concrete from that height. The forward speed of the ship would add difficulty in making a safe entry, but would have no effect on the "hardness" of the water.:rolleyes:
Unless air resistance negated it by the time the person got to the water, the person would have both horizontal and vertical velocity vectors, increasing the speed at which they hit the water thus making the water "harder".

It was very sad, and I'll tell you, people were very concerned about his welfare onboard as well. I saw several passengers weepy-eyed when the announcements were made about his passing.

Unless air resistance negated it by the time the person got to the water, the person would have both horizontal and vertical velocity vectors, increasing the speed at which they hit the water thus making the water "harder".

To quote an old cliché, it's not how fast you're going that hurts, it's how fast you stop. Water has a tendency to move out of the way of objects that fall into it, allowing the deceleration to be not quite as traumatic as when you hit concrete, which unless very recently poured is quite unforgiving.:eek:

Archived