passport question

axd0424

Leaving out of NYC to st. thomas, and some other ports. im told a birth certificate with the raised seal and a drivers lis. is good enough. what about a Drivers permit with your picture on it issued by motor vehicles?

Leaving out of NYC to st. thomas, and some other ports. im told a birth certificate with the raised seal and a drivers lis. is good enough. what about a Drivers permit with your picture on it issued by motor vehicles?

If it is issued by the state DMV, it should be fine. Different states do their learners permits differently.

A b/cert. w/raised seal is not a requirement. Most states are now issuing b/certs on state watermark paper.

Better check for sure w/Carnival about the drivers permit:confused: What is your question about a passport????? Hi Imsulin.

A b/cert. w/raised seal is not a requirement. Most states are now issuing b/certs on state watermark paper.

Better check for sure w/Carnival about the drivers permit:confused: What is your question about a passport????? Hi Imsulin.

A BC must be a certified copy. A photocopy of your BC won't do. As Cotton pointed out, some states are now issuing BC's without the raised seal.

I believe that you must have a state-issued PHOTO-id to re-board the ship in most ports. If you don't have a DL, most states offer a state ID card.

On a cruise that returns to the same port it left from, a passport is not necessary to return to the US. The BC will work. However, if you (heaven forbid) miss the ship in a foreign port, or choose to invoke Carnival's Vacation Guarantee, and need to fly home. A BC is NOT sufficient. To return to the US by air or ground, a Passport or Passport Card is required.

A BC must be a certified copy. A photocopy of your BC won't do. As Cotton pointed out, some states are now issuing BC's without the raised seal.

I believe that you must have a state-issued PHOTO-id to re-board the ship in most ports. If you don't have a DL, most states offer a state ID card.

On a cruise that returns to the same port it left from, a passport is not necessary to return to the US. The BC will work. However, if you (heaven forbid) miss the ship in a foreign port, or choose to invoke Carnival's Vacation Guarantee, and need to fly home. A BC is NOT sufficient. To return to the US by air or ground, a Passport or Passport Card is required.

Air requires a passport ...not a card

Ground requires a passport or passport card

(just don't want you to get confused)

If is not required obviously, but for the worst case senario, it would be very benificial to have.

A drivers permit with photo is fine. That is your state issued id.

I believe it is, but you do need to be of a certain age, please contact Carnival to be sure, but then again, maybe you shouldnt, I remember when a Carnival Rep told me I had to have a passport to go to the Bahamas:eek:, she was clueless, then I called and got someone else. I believe you can find the answer you are looking for in the FAQ. You do NOT need a passport.

A drivers permit with photo is fine. That is your state issued id.

DD's California driving permit (with her photo on it) clearly stated that this is 'not an official ID' (paraphrasing). She got her permanent DL in a week so it was a non-issue.

If you cruise with Cotton (and me), you will need a permanent triple Suite cabin for all three of us on any Carnival ship, valid Passport with multi-country Visas, an AMEX card with no limit, a million US dollars left with the Purser for expenses per cruise, twin 99 year-old neighbor brothers with no living family, a smattering of Cajun, majority stock in Tabasco, a written apology from the 49ers for beating the Broncos 55-10 in the SuperDome, a certificate authorizing free lifetime Breakfasts at Brennans, full flood insurance policies for our land properties, a notarized promise not to name any child or pet "Katrina", a shrimp tattoo, and a well-documented sense of humor. If you can't meet these requirements, please don't bother to reply.

Mi Parish es no su Parish.

I agree with mexicobob, the passport is the best way to go. no questions about whether it's sufficient.

IN NY, you get a learner's permit by submitting appropriate identification, posing for a photo and passing a written test. the card that is issued is virtually identical to a driver's license except for the additional driving restrictions. NY also issues a non-driver's ID card. I don't see why it couldn't serve as your photo ID -- my then-16-year-old daughter used her learner's permit as photo ID when she flew to Florida and the TSA accepted it.

If you cruise with Cotton (and me), you will need a permanent triple Suite cabin for all three of us on any Carnival ship, valid Passport with multi-country Visas, an AMEX card with no limit, a million US dollars left with the Purser for expenses per cruise, twin 99 year-old neighbor brothers with no living family, a smattering of Cajun, majority stock in Tabasco, a written apology from the 49ers for beating the Broncos 55-10 in the SuperDome, a certificate authorizing free lifetime Breakfasts at Brennans, full flood insurance policies for our land properties, a notarized promise not to name any child or pet "Katrina", a shrimp tattoo, and a well-documented sense of humor. If you can't meet these requirements, please don't bother to reply.

Mi Parish es no su Parish.

:D:DGotta love it, cher!:D:D

OP If your permit states it's not an official ID I would not use it. State ID's are easy to get and they are cheap. Get an official ID to use.

poohbears, in NY -- where the OP is from -- a learner's permit is official ID, same as a driver's license or non-driver's photo ID card issued by the DMV.

Get a state ID card at the DMV. You will have no problem with that as it has all the same info a driver's license would.

I have been in state law enforcement my entire adult life and can recommend the following when it comes to identification and traveling.

* Get a state ID card from your dmv if you can not get a DL. They look like a DL, are official, and work just like a DL for identification purposes.

* You only need a BC for water travel that is roundtrip USA. HOWEVER, God forbid you miss the boat in a foreign port, get sick and need to go the local hospital, need to fly home and you do not have a pass port - you are TOAST!! (personal family experience here - someone didn't listen to me . . . .)

Bottomline - get an old fashion passport and carry it with you in port (for above reasons) and you'll be fine.

If you do not have a passport, you can get an expedited one in Rockafeller Center Plaza in NYC. I think the place is called It's Easy. I would bring a passport because it is the easiest. I have been going down to St. Thomas for 21 years and I have seen people turned away at customs for not having a passport (and they were going back to NY)...even though they had a BC and a drivers license. It is worth the money to get a passport and it lasts for 10 years!!! Here is the website for it's easy:

http://www.itseasy.com/

I hope this helps!!!!

If you do not have a passport, you can get an expedited one in Rockafeller Center Plaza in NYC. I think the place is called It's Easy. I would bring a passport because it is the easiest. I have been going down to St. Thomas for 21 years and I have seen people turned away at customs for not having a passport (and they were going back to NY)...even though they had a BC and a drivers license. It is worth the money to get a passport and it lasts for 10 years!!! Here is the website for it's easy:

http://www.itseasy.com/

I hope this helps!!!!

Since when was a passport required for St. Thomas:confused:

It is not required...I never said it was. I was telling you that in my experience (especially at the airport...not at the cruise terminal), people who have had the drivers license and sealed BC have been turned away from customs for what ever reason. Having a passport is soooo much easier to travel with!

When on a cruise in any foreign port, you should always have a passport in your posession! Not in the safe in your cabin room either! What if for some reason you got injured or hospitalized when out on an excursion?? Or if you had treatment in a hospital and missed the ship and would have to fly home or to your next port. Security at airports require passports for you to travel. The passport cards that you can be issued now are only for land purposes.

It is not required...I never said it was. I was telling you that in my experience (especially at the airport...not at the cruise terminal), people who have had the drivers license and sealed BC have been turned away from customs for what ever reason. Having a passport is soooo much easier to travel with!

What do you mean "turned away from customs?" Are you saying that they had to do secondary screening with immigration or something? Denied entry into St. Thomas?

St. Thomas is a US territory, so I don't understand why any US citizen would be "turned away from customs" for not having a passport.

Archived