Juneau in the evening

J.E.C

We are on the Sea Princess in July and dock in Juneau from 13:00 - 22:00, I have already arragned an afternoon tour up to Taku Lodge, but wondered what to do in the evening.

Will it be light until 22:00?

All ideas welcome

Thank you

J

We are on the Sea Princess in July and dock in Juneau from 13:00 - 22:00, I have already arragned an afternoon tour up to Taku Lodge, but wondered what to do in the evening.

All ideas welcome

Thank you

J

I am not sure what time Mendenhall clsoes..but if a nice day i would look at the tram for views and hiking.. if te weather is bad forget it.. you can hit a few bars and have dinner in town.. how nice- fresh fish and crab. do you drink beer go to Jueanu brewing compnay.

Mendenhall never closes. The locals come out late afternoon/early evening to do some "bear watching" around the visitor center. We stayed out there until 8 pm or so on our last trip watching mamma bear and her 2 cubs.

Depending on were your ship docks there will be not need for a taxi most are within walking distance from the tram. You will love the tour out to Taku, the aerial view of the glacier are fanatic as for the bears roaming the area for salmon leftover on the grills. By the way the food great too. The view from the tram is cool and as mention many places for a hiking but to be safe stay close. Enjoy your day and evening.

Our ship leaves Juneau at 11 PM so I have been trying to figure out what to do as well.

From my research the last MGT bus leaves Mendenhall at 6 PM. It looks like the only other way back is a cab after 6.

It looks like the tram is walkable from the cruise docks in town. Their website states it closes at 9 PM. Depending on the weather we will do the tram or not. Posts say if it is not clear it is not worth the money (over $20 each).

You can go to Farmer's Almanac online to see sunrise and sunset on the date you are going.

Jen in SoCal

All ideas welcome

Thank you

J

Thank you for the information, I had overlooked the tram!

and didn't know about the Almanac

I find these boards so useful and have found out bucket loads of information here, so thank you to everyone.

My husband is serioulsy starting to think I am addicted to these......

but I get so much enjoyment out of the planning and the anticipation :)

Thanks again

J

You will have light until you sail at that time of year.

Considering the upside--no crowds, greater likelihood of seeing wildlife--the cab back to downtown isn't that much more than the shuttle, depending on your numbers. It should be about about $30.

If you're feeling adventurous, perhaps have the cabbie take you to The Sandbar and Grill for the best deep-fried halibut in SE AK. (Yeah, yeah, Haines and Ketchikan) The Sandbar's open 'til 2am, so no need to worry about being late there. A complete hole in the wall, local hangout.

More civilized options are downtown. Any place in town that serves beer will have the brewery's beer. There's no need to do the tour. The stores will all be open and there's always climbing the stairs up into the Starr Hill neighborhood for great views back down to the channel and your ship. Not as high up as the tram, but high enough.

For something never done by tourists, take the bus over to Douglas Island and walk the beach, view the mine relics and dine at The Island Pub.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I thought it might be a bit of wasted port time, but with the light on our side and good weather permitting there seems to be a lot we can do.

Many thanks again

J

Mendenhall never closes. The locals come out late afternoon/early evening to do some "bear watching" around the visitor center. We stayed out there until 8 pm or so on our last trip watching mamma bear and her 2 cubs.

What month was that last trip?

Hoping to see some bears in May.

Will cell phones work out at Mendenhall? If not, how would we get a cab?

Jen in SoCal

You will have light until you sail at that time of year.

Considering the upside--no crowds, greater likelihood of seeing wildlife--the cab back to downtown isn't that much more than the shuttle, depending on your numbers. It should be about about $30.

If you're feeling adventurous, perhaps have the cabbie take you to The Sandbar and Grill for the best deep-fried halibut in SE AK. (Yeah, yeah, Haines and Ketchikan) The Sandbar's open 'til 2am, so no need to worry about being late there. A complete hole in the wall, local hangout.

More civilized options are downtown. Any place in town that serves beer will have the brewery's beer. There's no need to do the tour. The stores will all be open and there's always climbing the stairs up into the Starr Hill neighborhood for great views back down to the channel and your ship. Not as high up as the tram, but high enough.

For something never done by tourists, take the bus over to Douglas Island and walk the beach, view the mine relics and dine at The Island Pub.

Will cell phones work out at Mendenhall? If not, how would we get a cab?

Jen in SoCal

Yes, the glacier's not in the boonies, it's basically in the suburbs' backyard.

Either call 907-586-2121 for a cab, or ask one of the drivers in the taxi area to call one for you. They're only allowed to wait for their own clients, not pick up riders.

Your cell phone should work at the Glacier- depending on what service you use- and what company in Juneau is the "local" tower. If you are ATT&T- you should be fine- Verizon uses ACS towers- and there are areas - they do not work. Am not sure about right up at the Mendenhall Glacier- they don't work at places on the back loop road. I am not sure who Sprint uses.

I would either check- or arrange a time for a cab pick up before you go or Check the city bus schedule- since the city bus goes less than a mile from the Glacier.

Long summer days are great- makes up for the dark winter days. What ever you decide to do- you will not waste the time, and enjoy the area.

Archived