Inspiration/Sensation/Imagination or Grandeur for 4 & 6 year old?

camorelli

I've enjoyed reading many threads in the Family Cruise section lately because we are planning a family cruise in the Fall. This will be our first cruise with our children, 6 and 4. Originally we planned on doing a 7 night cruise until we we realized DH won't have enough vacation time left due to other planned trips this summer. Therefore I've decided to plan a shorter cruise in the Fall rather then skipping it altogether. I have a lot of time in the Fall so I had my heart set on a longer cruise, but I'll take a shorter one over none. :)

I have been scouring your reviews and posts about the different ships and I think I've narrowed it down to a few, due to # of weekdays in cruise, price, kid-friendly ship, etc. But I need some opinions from you all, please - because you are the experts! Before this, we picked cruises based on entertainment, ports and price because it was just DH and I.

Would you prefer any of Carnival's Inspiration, Imagination or Sensation over the other? I know they are pretty much alike with the Waterworks feature. We've only sailed RCI and Celebrity so we don't have personal experience with Carnival. And Destiny looks nice, but from what I've read, we should go with Fantasy Class for young kids because of the Waterworks, right?

Or would Grandeur of the Seas be a better option? I know that AO comes highly rated but maybe the pool/water area isn't as fun for young kids?

One of these days, I will make it the RCI Liberty or Freedom! I know how fun they look and we did Voyager before so I definitely love that size ship. But it won't work for now because of DH's vacation day situation.

Thanks for any and all opinions! I really have done lots of research and not coming in blind, just wanting your personal faves of those I've mentioned. Thanks much! :)

My kids seem to love the Carnival ships. We are going on the Inspiration on Saturday. This will be our first experience on a Carnival ship that has waterworks. My kids are 2, 6 and 9 so hopefully I will be able to answer your question better when I get back:) My kids seem to prefer the Western itineraries over the Nassau/Private Island ones. Grand Cayman is wonderful for kids and Cozumel is great too. I will take lots of pictures and post a review once we return.

Did you happen to see that Liberty of the Seas is doing a special 3 day itinerary in October - 10/28? ;) That might fit in your schedule. :D

I did Sensation. It was purple. VERY purple. :eek: I wouldn't do it again. :p Sorry.

Our next ship will be Grandeur. :)

Thanks for the opinions all! :)

Crusinmama06, I must admit, I LOVE reading your posts/reviews! Sooo informative!

So anyway, I sat down with hubby tonight and presented my spreadsheet of older/shorter cruise ships and itineraries. :D Can't help it, I'm a Virgo! :D But i do the research and then lay it all out for him. And then I showed him Waterworks pictures. He liked the looks of it. And then...I showed him pictures of Liberty OTS water area (H2O Zone?) and his jaw dropped. I pulled up a thread of Liberty OTS and we looked at ship pics. He turned to me and said "I will get the days off. I want to do a 7 day!" Yippee!!

So now I have to do a whole new search project. This is wearing me out, I'll tell ya! It gets exhausting looking at all of your options: ships, itineraries, days, cost, family activities, etc. Guess I'm looking at RCI Liberty/Freedom versus Carnival Liberty/Freedom/Valor now. Back to the drawing board!

And one last thing... our first two cruises were inside cabins. We were fine with them. We just got off a cruise a week ago that was our first balcony. He can't go back to inside now. And the prices for the 7-day balcony :eek: - but imagine the fun we will have! :D

i think i'm officially cruise crazy.

Thanks for the opinions all! :)

Crusinmama06, I must admit, I LOVE reading your posts/reviews! Sooo informative!

Oops...lol. Well...then here....this is the last Freedom class ship we did. It was Independence of the Seas but it looks EXACTLY like the others...so you can see what Freedom and Liberty will look like...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=923729

We loved the Inspiration and Sensation and doing a B2B on Inspiration in January. But I've also taken the plunge and booked Liberty of the Seas in October. A 7day cruise is always better! I'm sure your family will enjoy it.

Did you happen to see that Liberty of the Seas is doing a special 3 day itinerary in October - 10/28? ;) That might fit in your schedule. :D

I did Sensation. It was purple. VERY purple. :eek: I wouldn't do it again. :p Sorry.

Our next ship will be Grandeur. :)

So the only thing you did not like about the Sensation is the color?

My kids seem to love the Carnival ships. We are going on the Inspiration on Saturday. This will be our first experience on a Carnival ship that has waterworks. My kids are 2, 6 and 9 so hopefully I will be able to answer your question better when I get back:) My kids seem to prefer the Western itineraries over the Nassau/Private Island ones. Grand Cayman is wonderful for kids and Cozumel is great too. I will take lots of pictures and post a review once we return.

Are you back yet?? Did you guys like it?

Archived