Uniworld 16 Day Amsterdam to Budapest

SheilaNC

We've been collecting info and reading reviews on many of the cruise companies doing the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise next May. We've narrowed it down and are leaning towards Uniworld based on reviews, Conde Nast Gold List, reports of excellent service and food.

Trying to decide how far in advance we should book, cabin level, and extra expenses (other than those included in the price). Thanks to many of you for your help up to this point. I've read just about all of the threads on this forum. If anyone has additional info to share; we'd be happy to read about it. Thanks in advance

Hi Sheila, we are going the same direction this June on AMA Waterways.

This will be our first river cruise and I also looked around a bit. I like the fact that they will have bikes on board that you can take into the different towns.

That really allows you to get a little deeper into the land than if you are just

strolling around the city centers. The thought of packing a sandwich and an

apple and taking off for the afternoon to do our own exploring just takes my

imagination around the corner. They also had better prices at the time that I

booked the cruise.

Host Sheila,

We took this cruise as part of Bucharest -Amsterdam in Aug 2004 on the River Countess. It was wonderful and at that time did not offer as many bennies as now. Uniworld is our favorite line, and we've tried many. There is an ambiance on board that we have not found on any other line. We were always met with cool drinks and cold towels on arrival back at the boat. Dinners were regional in menu choices. There was a great international mix of pax--some of whom have become friends. The cabins are ample with good storage. The bathroom was a good size--shower 5 star. A word about cabin selection on any of these boats avoid the thrusters--don't go too far forward or too far aft. We learned be experience. Had been on the Seine and didn't sail at nite, so we thought it didn't matter where our cabin was located. With nite sailing and all the locks it truly does. Enjoy you river cruise. We will be on the river in July with an alumni cruise on yet another line--Luftner. Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the info on your Uniworld cruise. We're leaning towards them because this is a special anniversary (50th) and a splurge for us. Really want it to be first class.

JollyJo,

Thanks for you info on choosing AMAWaterways. We have them on our list as well but have been concerned about comments here related to food and service....

Sheila,

WOW!!!! 50 years together--fantastic. Go for a suite--think Uniworld is offering butlers and in room breakfast in the suites. They also have bikes. They have offered sundeck dining--don't know whether they still do. Wouldn't that be a great way to celebrate? Pat

Sheila, just one thing you might want to consider.

Doing the cruise the opposite way, Budapest to Amsterdam.

I was advised that this is the preferred way to do it by the crew onboard River Duchess.

2 reasons, first the weather can follow you south down the river if you get into some rain.

That did happen to us Amsterdam to Vienna. 4 days of the same rain cloud.

Second, the most spectacular scenery being nearer to Amsterdam with the castles, it was a shame to do it at the beginning of the cruise.

Just food for thought. Either way is nice, but if you are flexible.

Thanks for the idea. We've told our TA that we would do it either way - Dates are important to us due to some family obligations spring/fall next year. And we really don't want to do it in the summer with the heat and the crowds.

Archived