Traveler's Cheques Disappearing!

kkmonga

Yikes you guys, there are a LOT of snarky replies to this poor poster.......welcome to the 90s, and the ribbon??? Wow

Why such mean responses to someone stating a very benign statement?

Finally a voice of reason!! Geesh!

I don't think you're listening to what the people recommending credit cards are saying. If you choose your credit card properly, there is no annual fee, no transaction fee, no foreign exchange fee, and $0 liability in case of loss/theft. Plus you get 2% back in "rewards" so your $1,000 kinda sorta only costs you $980. But go with what works for you!

Thank you for explaining that to the person in question! It's a win situation all around, especially if you are using the Credit card with cash back and no transaction fees of any kind! with the ATM card, the fees that are imposed by the bank that owns the atm are deducted along with the money you just got. So for example if you wanted to take out $400 from the atm onboard, the receipt that comes out would say $406. But the $6 is given back to you by Schwab bank. So in essence there are no fees for the transaction!! I use my CC for almost all my purchases because I actually make money by doing this. Of course we always pay the credit card in full each month, which is important!!

Our credit union still offers traveler's checks for free, and hopefully will continue to offer them by the time we take our first cruise. We don't have credit cards and had planned on bringing cash for the ports and use the traveler's checks to set up our S&S account, because I just felt safer with the checks as opposed to carrying so much in cash. And since our credit union is a little too prone to block your account if you use your debit card an ANY way they claim is not "typical" (like paying several bills on payday each month, even though you do that every month, LOL) I wouldn't dare try to use my ATM card out of the state, much less out of the country. :) Now, I've never used traveler's checks before, so I suppose I'll just have to wait see whether or not this will be an ordeal on the ship!

I will say I had not even considered using them in port, because I just assumed no one took them any more. Sounds like that's pretty close to accurate.

Our credit union still offers traveler's checks for free, and hopefully will continue to offer them by the time we take our first cruise. We don't have credit cards and had planned on bringing cash for the ports and use the traveler's checks to set up our S&S account, because I just felt safer with the checks as opposed to carrying so much in cash. And since our credit union is a little too prone to block your account if you use your debit card an ANY way they claim is not "typical" (like paying several bills on payday each month, even though you do that every month, LOL) I wouldn't dare try to use my ATM card out of the state, much less out of the country. :) Now, I've never used traveler's checks before, so I suppose I'll just have to wait see whether or not this will be an ordeal on the ship!

I will say I had not even considered using them in port, because I just assumed no one took them any more. Sounds like that's pretty close to accurate.

All you have to do is notify your credit union that you may be using your atm card at whatever ports you will be visiting. Before I ever leave on vacation I call my credit card company an give them my itinerary.

Archived