hip-hop buses in Rome

hiprep

Have been looking on these threads for hints for our Med cruise in June. As DH and I have had past medical problems our stamina is not what it was. We were considering using hip-hop bus in Rome and notice mixed opinions on these. We are not disabled but can't walk really long distances so thought this would be best way to see some of the sights. Has anyone got any thoughts on the buses. Would taxis be a better way to go.

We were in Rome last May and had excellent results with the HOPO. There are two different routes and it is a good way to see Rome if you can't walk long distances. That is why we took them. Just make sure you have a good map for when you do get off. It is easy to get lost in the streets of Rome and, if you want to go to some of the piazzas, you still have to do some minor walking.

I envy you going there. I would love to return.

kThank you for your advice, am looking forward to this trip. We did go to Rome a few years ago on the ship's Easy Rome trip but could not get off the bus which was very frustrating. We are hoping to see a few of the sites this time.

• 3 weeks later...

We had good luck with these OCtober 2008.

3 or 4 different companys had double decker busses lined up near the vatican and took you around the city with various stops along the way. If I remember you never needed to wait more then 20 minutes for the next one to come by for a pickup.

We used the 24 hour pass, which we bought right before getting on the first time.

Included head phones and an audio tour as you drove around.

Have been looking on these threads for hints for our Med cruise in June. As DH and I have had past medical problems our stamina is not what it was. We were considering using hip-hop bus in Rome and notice mixed opinions on these. We are not disabled but can't walk really long distances so thought this would be best way to see some of the sights. Has anyone got any thoughts on the buses. Would taxis be a better way to go.

How long will you be in Rome?

Taxis will take you right where you want to go and when you want to go but they do cost more. If you take a HOHO bus, they can't stop as close to the major attractions and you end up having to wait for the buses.

If you only have a day, a private tour is the best way to see the most with the least hassle, but it does cost a lot. You could try to find people on your roll call to share a private tour.

We are two elderly ladies with mobility issues. My friend can't walk very far, and I can't stand for long periods of time. And private tours were just too expensive for us to contemplate more than 1 or 2 times.

I purchased a 48 hr pass on viator.com here in the US, in US $ all paid for well before the cruise. Received a voucher, turned that in at the bus in front of the Vatican. No problems at all. We enjoyed the HO HO bus, there was still a fair amount of walking as the buses can't get really close to Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps, but it sure saved our feet and backs.

We did the Northern section one day, and the Southern Section the second day. The bus stopped very close to the Colosseum to start our second day. We were out of our hotel around 8:30 am and back to the hotel around 4:30 each day, so it was a full long day of sight seeing. While traffic is heavy in Rome, we enjoyed sitting on the top deck of the bus looking at the sights and people, as well as actually getting off and seeing the different sights.

We did use taxi's to get to/from the hotel to the Vatican both days (a distance of about 10 blocks). It was kind of funny because we thought the hotel didn't change locations, but each trip was a different amount. 10 EUR the first day, then 14 EUR the second morning and 11 EUR the second evening. Then we found out the time of day makes a difference, and if your hotel calls them, they start the meter from where they are leaving, not when they pick you up.

And if you decide to use a public bus, be sure to buy the ticket just before you plan to board (as they are time stamped and only good for like 75 minutes). And you can't pay for the bus on-board.

And if you decide to use a public bus, be sure to buy the ticket just before you plan to board (as they are time stamped and only good for like 75 minutes). And you can't pay for the bus on-board.

You can buy your tickets at any time, the usage time only begins when you stamp the ticket on the bus. Do be sure to stamp your tickets, however, because if you are caught on a bus (or tram, or subway) without a valid ticket, the fines are expensive and they have no mercy for "I didn't know" or "I don't understand Italian".

If you will be using public transit multiple times in one day, there is a full day ticket which you only stamp once, the first time you use it. Then tuck it away for the rest of the day, you'll only need it if an inspector asks to see your ticket.

We actually didn't have much luck with the HOHO busses while in Rome. We ended up getting all twisted up in between the stops and thus had a hard time finding a stop to get back on. Once we did find a stop, we did have to wait quite a bit for the right HOHO to come along. We ultimately just didn't even use the remainder of our passes. A good map is a must!

There really is no such thing as a good map of Rome. The maps just aren't accurate. Be prepared if you are walking a distance, that you will get turned around, go the wrong way, or come to a dead end even though the map shows the street (or alley) goes through. We had four maps (one from the hotel) and three I had purchased here in the US. And not one of them was a really good map.

Others on this board have posted that they follow Rick Steves books and have had good luck with that. That is one I didn't get.

But have a great trip anyway! Sometimes getting lost is fun too!

I had bought a couple maps before we left for Rome. It turned out the best maps we got were the free ones from our Rome hotels. The tourist information centers also gave out free maps, but they had extremely tiny print and we didn't find them useful.

There really is no such thing as a good map of Rome. The maps just aren't accurate.

But have a great trip anyway! Sometimes getting lost is fun too!

I agree with your second statement, but the first one is a bit much.

I have several excellent and quite accurate maps of Rome. I imagine that the free ones handed out by tour operators or hotels might be less than great, but any bookstore can sell you a fine map.

The good news is that in a city that has existed, in some form or other, for more than 2,500 years, the streets don't change a whole lot from year to year.

You may have trouble getting information if you're searching for 'hip-hop' buses. The actual term is 'hop on-hop off', or HOHO for short.

Good luck!

Cathy

Cathy

Sorry, I did actually know they were hop on-hop off or HOHO. I mustn't have been concentrating or I got mixed up with my CC title.

Cathy

Sorry, I did actually know they were hop on-hop off or HOHO. I mustn't have been concentrating or I got mixed up with my CC title.

I kind of like thinking of them as hip-hop buses. I envision them playing some really interesting American music as they make their way around the sights of Rome....:D

I agree with your second statement, but the first one is a bit much.

I have several excellent and quite accurate maps of Rome. I imagine that the free ones handed out by tour operators or hotels might be less than great, but any bookstore can sell you a fine map.

The good news is that in a city that has existed, in some form or other, for more than 2,500 years, the streets don't change a whole lot from year to year.

Well that wasn't my experience the two times I've been in Rome. I paid $15 for a Berlitz guide, and another $8 for just a map in Rome. I'm 63 and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so trying to read those maps was almost worthless without a magnifying glass. The desk clerk at the hotel was very nice and had 11 x 14 maps of the various areas, that he highlighted where we wanted to go. These maps were a little better, but still had a time finding the streets we were supposed to be on, a lot just dead ended and we had to backtrack many times. And a lot of the alleyways (what they call streets) didn't even have name on them. The plaques had come off the building and not been replaced.

I did better with just my own sense of direction. I had been to Rome before, so knew the general layout and direction I wanted to go from the Vatican. As I stated, it was kind of fun to start walking in the general direction I knew I wanted to go, and find my way there, just meandering on those small streets. Our mobility issues were a big problem, but the HO HO bus overcame most of that. Once we got to the stop I wanted, we would get off and just wander. But I certainly wouldn't pay money for a map again. JMHO.

Well that wasn't my experience the two times I've been in Rome. I paid $15 for a Berlitz guide, and another $8 for just a map in Rome. I'm 63 and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so trying to read those maps was almost worthless without a magnifying glass. The desk clerk at the hotel was very nice and had 11 x 14 maps of the various areas, that he highlighted where we wanted to go. These maps were a little better, but still had a time finding the streets we were supposed to be on, a lot just dead ended and we had to backtrack many times. And a lot of the alleyways (what they call streets) didn't even have name on them. The plaques had come off the building and not been replaced.

I did better with just my own sense of direction. I had been to Rome before, so knew the general layout and direction I wanted to go from the Vatican. As I stated, it was kind of fun to start walking in the general direction I knew I wanted to go, and find my way there, just meandering on those small streets. Our mobility issues were a big problem, but the HO HO bus overcame most of that. Once we got to the stop I wanted, we would get off and just wander. But I certainly wouldn't pay money for a map again. JMHO.

There's a big difference in saying "There is no such thing as a good map of Rome" as opposed to "I did not find a good map of Rome." :rolleyes:

As to maps, I happen to like the Knopf map guide for Rome. Due to its format, it gives you a more "close up" view of key areas. It's true that some of the fold up maps cover waaayy more of Rome than most tourists need and consequently the font is extremely small and hard to read. That problem is avoided with the Knopf map guide.

I have also gotten very good larger "fold up" maps from the TI and good maps of the historic center from various hotels.

Fully agree with you on this point!

When we went in '09, I was having eye problem --cataract capsule -- and I could not read the map. Now that I have has laser surgery, I can read the map.

and another $8 for just a map in Rome. I'm 63 and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so trying to read those maps was almost worthless without a magnifying glass.

JMHO.

We were given some of the plasticized fold out maps as gifts before we left and found them almost useless because they were so bulky and hard to manage. The hotel map worked best--I could fold in into a little square and keep it in my pocket for almost constant reference. When it got too banged up, I'd just get another! I actually have had great luck with hotel maps although many people disagree. I have gotten to the point that I don't want to use valuable luggage space on maps or guidebooks--I realize everything I REALLY need can fit in a backpack~

Cathy

Archived