The Coral, The Panama Canal and LA - An Aussie viewpoint!

My thoughts on our week in Anaheim –

Anaheim - We could live there. We just loved Anaheim with its wide streets and friendly people. Everyone we came across, whether they were black, white or brindle were so nice.

Disneyland – Maybe because we are older and have been to many theme parks over the last 30 years we found Disneyland overrated. (We have Dreamworld on the Gold Coast that in my opinion is much better than Disneyland - I suppose we have been there at least 15 times over the years. With 5 kids and lots of birthdays, what else can you expect). But because it was Disneyland we just had to go. How could you go to LA and not go to Disneyland. California Adventure is small at the moment and apparently they are building quite a few new rides so it should be a lot better in the near future.

I suppose Disneyland relies on its reputation and its drawcard for children worldwide. Still we did enjoy ourselves and some of the rides we went on were magic.

Universal Studios – Now this was a theme park we just loved. I wish we had spent two days here instead of Disneyland. For anyone going to Universal please do go on the Simpsons ride. It is the best ride I have ever been on and will recommend it to everyone. Apart from the rides the studio side of the park was interesting. It appeals to an older customer so that is probably why we enjoyed Universal so much.

San Diego - I think because it was so cold there it jaded our opinions somewhat. It was a very clean city and everyone we came across seemed nice. The Zoo has such a good reputation and we would have liked to have gone there when it was warmer so we could have seen some of the animals. Poor things, I don’t blame them for hiding and trying to get warm.

Las Vegas – Very strange place. Very over the top in everthing but then that is Las Vegas I suppose. It was interesting but as we don’t gamble and I don’t drink it held little appeal to us other than to see the sights. We have seen them and I don’t think we will be back. Upon reflection we didn’t even put a dollar in the pokies (slots to you). Maybe we should have just to say we had – but as I said we don’t gamble and just didn’t think of it at the time.

Tipping and taxes – this side of our journey was quite frankly driving us nuts. We couldn’t get our heads around the fact that if you buy something, the price it says is not the end price. In Australia all the taxes are built into the price and it is illegal to display a price that doesn’t in fact include all the taxes. So if you see a price on something here, that is what you pay.

Regarding the tipping policy of your country. When in Rome and all that and we did comply. I am sure sometimes too much and othertimes not enough. Everyone else seems to just know how much to pay, but for us it was a crapshoot. If we offended anyone, we are sorry. I still prefer our way of living with no tipping involved.

We worked out that your restaurants are not really cheaper to eat at. The cost of the meal might be slightly lower but when you factor in tips, they are about on par. Your taxi charges are about on par with us but of course we don’t need to tip our driver, we usually just round up to the nearest $.

I don’t know what the average wage is in your country and I don’t know what the average house is, I know in my area the average is $500,000 for a basic house. I do know that your groceries are a LOT cheaper so you win there.

Your clothes are exceedingly cheap too. I wish we could buy a pair of jeans in Australia for the same price.

But still we both agree that we would move to Anaheim tomorrow if we were allowed.

To sum our 28 days up – we had a ball, both on the cruise and in Anaheim. We will be back, maybe not next year as we have already booked a cruise to Asia and Alaska, but maybe 2012.

WE WILL BE BACK!

Cabo San Lucas continued.......

When we were walking around the port in the morning looking for dock A we were offered a water taxi for $2 each' date=' but we decided to walk. When we got into shore we thought we would save some time as it was getting close to last tender time, and take a water taxi back. Funny how all of a sudden the price jumped to $6 each to get back to the tenders. Needless to say, we told them to go jump and walked back. I hate getting ripped off and this was a blatant case. There was 6 of us and that equates to $36 to go about 1km across the marina.[/size']

CoralPrincessandLA2010706.jpg

Bought some gifts at the pier and took the second last tender back to the ship.

CoralPrincessandLA2010718.jpg

A nice day. Sad our cruise is coming to an end. Last day tomorrow, which will have to be spent packing. Lucky we have another week left of our holidays which will be spent in LA. We don’t feel so miserable that the cruise is ending.

We went to the Bayou Café for dinner with our CC friends. I will miss them, they have been great company and have helped make this cruise so special.

CoralPrincessandLA2010668.jpg

CoralPrincessandLA2010666.jpg

CoralPrincessandLA2010663.jpg

The Bayou was fantastic. I recommend it to everyone. For $15 covercharge it is worth it.

Bedtime was late.

I was really happy you liked the Bayou. I'm glad you tried it. If it wasn't soooo much food, I would have eaten there every night.

Linda

We call those "hills" mountains. Snow rarely goes as low as the passes (just over 4000 foot altitude). The snow covered "hills" were well over 5000 feet high. I live near the Whittier Hills which never get snow.

Sorry, mountains! We have mountains in Australia too but there is only one that gets covered in snow. Mt Kosciusko in NSW near the Victorian border. California is supposed to have the same temperature range as where we come from so it was a bit of a shock to find snow on your mountains and the temperature sooooo cold.

As usual I am the last to find this as I was looking on Coral Reviews. I'm with Gary asking who gave you permission to use photographs of us and when I think about it, where is my payment for taking some of the pictures on your camera that you used?

You will be hearing from my lawyer regarding the "Jim being an Idiot" insult (I was merely being myself) and on the "even Jim " comment.

Apart from that your report was brilliant. Enjoy your Diamond Cruise.

Jim.

I felt what Eileen felt, as she talked about you, and I laughed aloud, when I read your comments. Miss you already, no one to make fun of:rolleyes:

Linda

We miss you all too. We had fun didn't we!

As the governor of California would say, "I'll be back", and we'll get to see you again, unless of course, we get to your end of the world first. I'm sure we'll all cruise together again one day. We had a nice group.

I love how you put together the pics. I'd love a copy of the Cabo boat one (my boat), since I didn't get a chance to visualize us, all, on my boat.

Haven't bought Sequence yet. I am going away for a few days on business in April, and I'll buy it to play with the girls before I go.

It was so cold and Clive wore pants wherever he was.

Love to you guys

Miss you

Linda and Stu

Hi Linda and Stu,

I remember you from our great cruise critic group last year on the Emerald. Looks like you all had a great time. :D Happy Cruising to you.

How are you doing up in California.

(Eileen)-sorry we're taking up your space having a conversation

I know you are a forgiving soul

Now Jim, if it was his thread....

You listening Jim?????? Still love me Jim?????

I see you're cruising in May, have a great time. Where are you going?

Are you considering Panama? or have you done Panama? (I know you've done tons of cruises)

Linda

Thanks for the review.

A shame that you didn't go to Orlando in Florida, Disney World runs rings around Disneyland. And Epcot was something to be seen. The theme parks in Orlando are just great, but so far for Aussies to travel to.

Thank you for going to the trouble to write te review.

Are you considering Panama? or have you done Panama? (I know you've done tons of cruises)

Linda

We are doing great. I am just so jealous that Eileen got to cruise with you this year instead of us. I am going to have to check out that card game you all played.

I have done the Panama twice on a full transit and once on a partial transit. Loved it everytime. We will be on the Royal Princess Carribean cruise in April. We can hardly wait. Good to hear from you.

I hope you post a review on your China-Alaska cruise next year...I'm already looking forward to reading it!

I do plan on doing a review on that cruise also. I kept a journal and wrote in it every day so it was pretty easy for me to recall everything. I recommend doing that to everyone. It is so easy to forget the little things.

(Eileen)-sorry we're taking up your space having a conversation

I know you are a forgiving soul

Now Jim, if it was his thread....

You listening Jim?????? Still love me Jim?????

Linda

LOL, boy are you gunna cop it from Jim!!!!

I do plan on doing a review on that cruise also. I kept a journal and wrote in it every day so it was pretty easy for me to recall everything. I recommend doing that to everyone. It is so easy to forget the little things.

After reading your review, I see what a great idea it is to keep a journal. I never do.

Linda

My thoughts on our week in Anaheim –

Anaheim - We could live there. We just loved Anaheim with its wide streets and friendly people. Everyone we came across' date=' whether they were black, white or brindle were so nice. [/font']

Disneyland – Maybe because we are older and have been to many theme parks over the last 30 years we found Disneyland overrated. (We have Dreamworld on the Gold Coast that in my opinion is much better than Disneyland - I suppose we have been there at least 15 times over the years. With 5 kids and lots of birthdays, what else can you expect). But because it was Disneyland we just had to go. How could you go to LA and not go to Disneyland. California Adventure is small at the moment and apparently they are building quite a few new rides so it should be a lot better in the near future.

I suppose Disneyland relies on its reputation and its drawcard for children worldwide. Still we did enjoy ourselves and some of the rides we went on were magic.

Universal Studios – Now this was a theme park we just loved. I wish we had spent two days here instead of Disneyland. For anyone going to Universal please do go on the Simpsons ride. It is the best ride I have ever been on and will recommend it to everyone. Apart from the rides the studio side of the park was interesting. It appeals to an older customer so that is probably why we enjoyed Universal so much.

Billy & Chariles Mum

We were the opposite. We liked Disneyland, but were not impressed with Universal Studios. We liked the Studio Tour, but not anything else. Maybe it was because I went with my sister, bil and 6yr old niece; Disneyland was just more fun for us. I think I had the most fun just watching her and just seeing how much fun she had. Disneyland was very clean for the number of people that were there, while Universal Studios was dirty compared to Disneyland and the restrooms were disgusting.

You have just upped the ante for all trip reviews...honestly this was the best one I have ever read or saw (loved all the pictures).

A simple thank you does not seem enough but thank you for a wonderful review and pictures. We would love to be on a cruise with you two.

We have AP's at DLR and it is interesting that they have not done alot with the water at Calfornia Adventure since we were there last Oct.

So tell me, are you jonsing for pastries yet :p

Top class recount. I'm really enjoying it. The photos are brilliant. I think we should all use them when writing, but granted it's complicated. What did surprise me was your comment re the LAX airport. I was hoping it would be a 'megastar' (we'll be there next year).

Thanks for all your time and effort.

Cheers,

Anna

There was a story on our local news a few weeks ago about LAX getting a major remodeling. LA really can't afford it right now but the mayor seems to think it's a major priority.

Glad you had fun on your cruise and your trip to our little corner of the world. You actually were about ten miles away from where I live when you were at Universal Studios here in the San Fernando Valley (fer shur, as we Vals say). We're to the northwest in the upper, upper NW corner of Los Angeles County.

It rarely snows here in the Valley as when it's in the 30s -- where we are, it does get that cold in the winter many mornings -- it's too dry to snow. We did get snow on our little mountain, which I can drive to in minutes, in December 2008. But the San Bernardino mountains to the east of LA do get quite a bit of snow in the winter, especially in the ski resorts. I think many people just assume it's always 80s or above here. At least it's not like the east coast of the US that got tons of snow on the streets this year -- our snow is tamed to stay up high.:)

I saw Tim Tams in either Target or our grocery store just last week. Never noticed them before or else they're new there. Maybe I should try them out (not sure if imported from Down Under or made here...they are Pepperidge Farm brand, which is an US brand).

The Australia-NZ cruise is on our dream list (so many cruises...) so maybe one day we'll do it. My hubby will probably have to drug me as I'm a white knuckle flyer.

Archived