Ipod touch

Missa

I have an ipod touch, that only works in free wifi areas (unless i pay for wifi), unlike the iphone where you can access teh internet most of the time.

So, would I have any wifi, or free wifi abod the ship (radiance OTS)?

Secondly, are there any good cruising, traveling, packing apps that anyone can reccomend? :)

I have an ipod touch, that only works in free wifi areas (unless i pay for wifi), unlike the iphone where you can access teh internet most of the time.

So, would I have any wifi, or free wifi abod the ship (radiance OTS)?

Secondly, are there any good cruising, traveling, packing apps that anyone can reccomend? :)

They do have wifi (I used my netbook) on the Radiance but it isn't free and at times it's really slow. You can pay by the minute or buy a package. They also have computers you can use, but again you have to pay for your computer time.

This is from the RC website -

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.55 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$28.00 for 60 minutes

$38.00 for 90 minutes

$55.00 for 150 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

The Internet Cafe/Workstation

These stations provide access to e-mail and the Internet, plus direct connections to favorite websites for stock, sports and entertainment updates. You can also send virtual postcards while at sea, and in ports-of-call worldwide. If you don't have an e-mail account, you can also establish one onboard.

The cost is $.55 per minute or you can choose a prepaid package:

$28.00 for 60 minutes

$38.00 for 90 minutes

$55.00 for 150 minutes

Available onboard all ships.

Prices are subject to change without notice.

Susan :)

All RCI ships have Wifi, but not for free - prices start at .55/minute or you can purchase a package of minutes that will bring the price down to as little as .37/minute.

You can bring your Touch into port with you and find a signal - most of the ports we've been to have inexpensive Internet cafes.

I just bought an IPod Touch, too. Thanks so much, I wondered how it would work with the wifi. It will be great as a music player on the plane, and I downloaded a few narrated tours (free from the Itunes store) for the places we'll be visiting in Rome. Thanks for the information. I imagine I can find free hot spots to check email (Not). :D:):D

I used mine on Oasis....works GREAT........you pay for your minutes but it was soo nice to use it and not the cafe (which was horrible on Oasis)...

Check out "Ship Mate' app.........it has deck plans for various ships......Again, was a LIFE saver on Oasis!!!.....AND you can put in your friends names and cabin numbers.....

j

I used mine on Oasis....works GREAT........you pay for your minutes but it was soo nice to use it and not the cafe (which was horrible on Oasis)...

Check out "Ship Mate' app.........it has deck plans for various ships......Again, was a LIFE saver on Oasis!!!.....AND you can put in your friends names and cabin numbers.....

j

Thanks! Since we have determined that the WiFi will cost the standard rate onboard...maybe I can piggyback on this thread. I will check out the ShipMates app:D Thanks!

Are there any other APPS that cruisers enjoy or find useful for the Touch? :cool: I only have Monopoly and Plants VS. Zombies so far (In other words, 2 games) There's an awful lot of them, any that are useful? Port maps and such. TIA. :D:):D

There's also one called.Cruise Card Lite (I think)......it lets u keep track of your seapass.......(I didn't use it tho so have no idea if it's good)...

I basically downloaded anything cruise that was free :)

There's a "odyssey translator" for spanish........that's pretty handy!!!

Quakewatch is pretty cool, IFood is AWESOME (not cruise related but a fabulous app.......specially if you have a Kraftfoods recipe box...) you can be a t the groc store, look up a recipe in your 'box' and have the shopping list....really cool...

Southwest airlines.....so you can check in for your flight......that one came in handy

Unblock me is a good game for when you're waiting.....

j

I'm playing 'words with friends' a scrabble game that you play with friends...REALLY AWESOME!!! I'm addicted to it.........I'm in Missouri and play with a friend in Wichita, one in LA, and my dd in Ind.....soo cool

good luck!!

j

I bought the new 32GB one, and it doesn't have a camera, so my IPhone friend was trashing it. The Southwest one looks good, so I can probably use that with WiFi. The barcode scanner ones look cool, but not without a camera...or I could plug the phone camera into the touch..... Thanks I will check out your recommendations. :D

Iphone friend says that online Scrabble is really fun! We were at a luncheon today.

my bff hassles me too cuz he has iphone and I have the itouch.....I don't have an Iphone as in this area they don't get very good reception plus business wise we are tied to verizon.....hence, no iphone....although I just got the Droid eris...pretty slick too!!!

The bc ones tho I think you can in put the bc using the keypad....

I too have the 32gb...as I needed a mp3 player and figured this was a good way to do it....

if you get on wwf......my name on it is the same as the name on here...

j

The best app I've found for packing is called, creatively, Packing Pro, by I Love Travel. It seems to allow a lot of customization, as well as sample lists you can adapt for your own trips. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll also check them out. I just downloaded the Kindle app onto my itouch and like it, I can read my books either on the Kindle or the itouch - and my family also downloaded it and can login and get my books - its like having 3 kindles for the price of one!

I got my iTouch when they first came out and now find that I rarely use my laptop. As far as email goes, if I'm out and about, I just grab an unsecured signal and away you go.

There are tons of apps out there and lots of them are either free or very little cost. I have so many that I've had to categorize them by page. :o There are language translation apps, first aid and medical apps, maps, wifi finders, etc. It's all out there. Don't discount paying for apps either. Some are certainly worth the money. I have a very addicting game app called Bejewelled that cost under $5 and another radio tuner that was $1.95. It allows me to tune into radio stations anywhere in the world - provided you have an internet connection. Fascinating!

Now that Apple has me completely hooked, when my cell phone contract runs out, I'll be upgrading to an iPhone.

j

I can't find the "Ship Mate" app in the itunes. I did download the WiFi finder app...that one is great! Is it just me...or does the search feature in Itunes not work very well. If you have anymore info about the deck plan and cabin number that would be great.

2bant, I will check out the packing one.

2P1, I don't mind paying for apps, they are inexpensive. It's just difficult to weed through them all and figure out which ones are actually useful.

Thanks everyone! For your help. It's a fun little gadget. :D

Thanks brmoqueen! I found the ship mate app. Once I realized that you can sort by name, and slowly scroll through P-T to find certain apps. Thanks again. :D

That is a very cool App....but it doesn't have the Europe sailings on there. Navigator OTS April...and then Navigator Nov. . It's REALLY neat that it is Royal Caribbean ships. We are on the TA that isn't listed...but I'm sure we'll find a use for it. Thanks. :D

Found this app- after searching for it. It is GREAT! I have already loaded all the other cabins into it of our sailing passengers. It not only gives deck plans for Liberty - it recognizes the sailing date, the ports and things to do in port and gives you an automatic count down clock to the sailing date! Very nice.

There is a free Royal Carribbean app too. (in the P-T section, travel) I downloaded it, but I haven't checked it out yet. I looked at the cruise card one too. It keeps track of your onboard spending when you enter the amounts:rolleyes:....I don't want to know that! :eek: If I really must know, I will check on the TV. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I almost have a page full of apps now. :D

Archived