Type of Sunblock

nudave

Was wondering if there was a preferred type of sunblock and/or SPF for cruisers?

I'll be cruising at the end of April going to the Eastern Caribbean. Is there a type designed for ease of use and water proof? I tan more then burn, but DW burns then tans.

I guess I'm just looking for some recommendations from my fellow cruisers.

Thanks!

It's the SPF, not the brand name that protects you...buy something that has a fragrance you like...and 30-45 SPF has the most protection...higher than that only costs more, but doesn't protect any better.

You have to use the right amount...most folks use too little!...and reapply often!

Was wondering if there was a preferred type of sunblock and/or SPF for cruisers?

I'll be cruising at the end of April going to the Eastern Caribbean. Is there a type designed for ease of use and water proof? I tan more then burn, but DW burns then tans.

I guess I'm just looking for some recommendations from my fellow cruisers.

Thanks!

I have found that the spray type works best for me and does not need to be applied as often. I buy both 15 and 30 spf- always start with 30 and then maybe by the end of the trip might be able to use 15. I do not like to burn so I am very careful. I think the spray just "coats" me better and it does not come off in water like some of the lotions do. I like Banana Boat but have bought other brands as well.

The SPF number does not mean higher protection. Anything between 15-45 is sufficient. Like cb at sea said, anything higher is a waste of money. You still need to reapply regardless. I grew up in Australia and have always reapplied every 4 hours or coming out of the water (even if it said waterproof). Also look for a sunscreen that has both UVa and UVb protection. Of course it helps to keep covered too, so get a cover-up or shirt to wear. My favourite is also Banana boat. Hope that helps :)

Just a word of caution if you plan any water excursions, especially at the reef in Cosumel (Carmin de Playa). They (the guides) will not allow you to enter the water if you have on regular sunscreen. They told us (just as we had started applying sunscreen) that it was not allowed near the reef as it would damage the environment, the fish and turtles there. They recommended going without, but next time to buy some that was enviromently friendly available locally or via the internet. Since it was a stormy day, we went without. I wish I could rember the brand name, but I am sure you can find some on-line if you are thinking about a water excursion.

Definitely get a much higher SPF than what you use at home. I'm from South Carolina, and we have a lot of sun. Normally if I'm outside at the pool here or tanning, I use SPF 8 or 10 (except on my face- I use 30), get a nice tan, never burn.

On my cruise... in early October, mind you, I usually used 30. At least 30. Sometimes 50. Still came back with a nice tan in October :).

I'm going to have to agree with the spray...

I live in FL and spend much of the summer doing outside activities with a kids summer camp. I used to burn all the time, but this last summer I got some Coppertone Sport SPF 15 and SPF 30 and didn't burn with either. Not sure why, or what the difference was for me, but I swear by it. Just make sure you get enough (a couple bottles) because it runs out fast, and don't spray it downwind of others because in spray form it takes off with the wind and I've managed to choke a few poor people out once or twice.

The 'sunblock' that provides the SPF rating can be one of two types:

-There are things like titanium oxide or zinc oxide (remember the lifeguards with the white stuff on their noses-that was zinc oxide) that provide a physical block to the sun's ray

-There are things like PABA or and other substances that create the block by some kind of reaction with the chemicals in your skin

The question is this: which one does not irritate your skin? Some people have extremely sensitive skin and cannot tolerate PABA or similar chemicals. Therefore, they must use the oxides - we are a family of redheads with super sensitive skin. The combo of sun, saltwater and sensitivity forces us to go with the oxides.

Perhaps, if you are unsure of which kind is kindest to your skin, buy a generic of each kind and try them out.

The SPF rating can be achieved with either set of chemicals.

I like Durascreen. You can get it on amazon and it is an all day waterproof sunscreen. My son has Polymorphus Light Eruption and gets bad blisters on his ears, this is the only sunscreen I have found that prevents any reaction to the sun. Here are some copied reviews from amazon:

I have used this sunscreen exclusively for a few years since my doctor told me about it. I live in a beach community and spend considerable time either in or on the water. I have found no other sunscreen that will stay on in the water like this one. Whether surfing in the blazing sun of Hawaii, Mexico or Barbados, I have yet to get burned since using this product. Another great thing is that is goes on dry (not greasy), so it will not run into your eyes when fishing, surfing, wakeboarding, kayaking, etc....

I'm a swim coach/teacher. I put on Durascreen before I leave my house. I'm in & out of the water all day & I stay fully protected. I do tan some but never burn! Our summers are 100+ and being in the water is the only way to survive. I highly recommend this product, it has proven effective to my highly sensitive friends. I wont' bother with anything else!

The SPF number does not mean higher protection. Anything between 15-45 is sufficient.

This is absolutely correct. SPF refers to time of protection, not actual level. Once you get over 45, the time drops significantly. So, unless over 45 is the same price as 45, there's no need to waste your money.

Always wear at least 15.

Sheesh I am just going to be going to lay out in the sun and get a tan before I go so I wont get burned. lol

A good tan is the best protection against burning. ;) Of course if your worried about cancer etc it may be a problem but its only a media fear anyways.

Sheesh I am just going to be going to lay out in the sun and get a tan before I go so I wont get burned. lol

A good tan is the best protection against burning. ;) Of course if your worried about cancer etc it may be a problem but its only a media fear anyways.

I really hope you are joking! A tan doesn't prevent a burn...never mind those of us who don't tan and just burn! You should always wear sunscreen in the sun, especially in the Caribbean sun. Everyone should worry about skin cancer (or at least take precautions)...which, as far as I've ever been told/read/seen is an actual cancer and NOT media fear! (I think I know what that means) I don't think the people who had or have skin cancer or know someone who had/has skin cancer would agree! I hardly ever comment about the interesting things people say, but I just couldn't let this slide by!

I can burn relatively easily when overseas in hoter climes than at home and with he increase in skin cancer, I take absolutely no chances at all. It also doesn't help you enjoy your trip if you end up sore from being burnt and have to then hide from the sun.

I use a SPF of 25 or 3t on the areas of my body most likley to burn and 15 on other areas. I prefer the spray on ones that are oil free and not heavily coloured. i don't want my skin to feel greasy or my clothes to get stained.

In the past I've gone for some of those "tropical" ones that smell of cocnut and all sorts of tropical fruit - nevr again - they attract evry insect in the vicinity to you!

It is important that you apply enough and often to get the correct degree of protection - e.g. if you put SPF15 on only once all day and spread it on very thinly , it will only be equivalent to 8 or less.

My new favourite brand is Clinique's SPF25 (aerosol) body spray - no staining, no greasiness, no strange smell, very easy to put on and keep topping up with and never burn when wearing it.

You are kidding, right?

To some extent YES I WAS KIDDING. I DO try to get a good tan before summer trips but that is how I do it. The rest was definatly a joke.

I hate sunscrean, I call it SOMESCREAM cause I hate the greasyness to it adn in fact most of it causes me to burn more even with a high spf. My body is jsut different I guess. Plus I look damn good with a tan. ;)

I have also found that alot of sunscreens are unheathy also, read this http://www.easyecoliving.org/2007/08/toxic-sunscreens.html I also know if we block ALL the sun from our bodies that is unhealthy too because our bodies naturally get vitamins from the sun. ITS ALL SKETCHY TO ME so I just dont worry about it.

P.S. This is interesting.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/237024/how_tanning_beds_can_be_healthy.html

It clearly shows how the media may have made teh tanning beds look bad but they may I SAY MAY actually be healthy.

I will be trying out a biodegradable sunscreen for this cruise due to one of the excursions I'm taking. I tend to burn even with high SPF and frequent applications (like every hour), so I am hoping the biodegradable kind protects as well as the regular kind...

To some extent YES I WAS KIDDING. I DO try to get a good tan before summer trips but that is how I do it. The rest was definatly a joke.

I hate sunscrean, I call it SOMESCREAM cause I hate the greasyness to it adn in fact most of it causes me to burn more even with a high spf. My body is jsut different I guess. Plus I look damn good with a tan. ;)

I have also found that alot of sunscreens are unheathy also, read this http://www.easyecoliving.org/2007/08/toxic-sunscreens.html I also know if we block ALL the sun from our bodies that is unhealthy too because our bodies naturally get vitamins from the sun. ITS ALL SKETCHY TO ME so I just dont worry about it.

P.S. This is interesting.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/237024/how_tanning_beds_can_be_healthy.html

It clearly shows how the media may have made teh tanning beds look bad but they may I SAY MAY actually be healthy.

Haha ok now that we know everyone is joking :) Even though I absolutely wear sunscreen, burn and hardly ever tan, and have highly sensitive skin with rosacea on my face...I actually do agree with you on some of your points! I can not wear sunscreen with fragrance, oils, etc in them on my face...I dont use a moisturizer or base makeup with any sunscreen in them. (I actually search for ones that don't have spf because it makes my skin irritated to wear it over and over....all drugstore makeup companies have spf in them now and I hate it...I have to use Clinique to get away from it!). My dermatologist said that I have no sun damage at 31...but I accredit that to the fact that when I'm out for extended periods, I wear sunscreen, find shade, or cover up...but not day to day. Ironically, my rosacea is better after a little time in the sun!

I knew an owner of a tanning salon who said some dermatologists recommended people do a small amount of tanning (at a salon) to help with acne. Interesting. I don't think you need to wear sunblock on a daily basis...just don't bake in the sun! My response was more about your skin cancer comment not being real! Who knows what causes cancer...I just figure take precautions! I can't imagine sunburn is good, though...cause really, a true sunburn is your skin, cooking...literally!

Archived