Secrets of Half Moon Cay

Sailaways_

:cool: Parrot this is not a BBQ any self respecting Southern would recognize. As my NC friends would say it's "anything off a grill". Hambugers, hot dogs, mahi-mahi. They had ribs but...If you go back to the ship both the Lido and MDR are open for wider selections. Tenders are frequent so go back for a quick lunch.

Hi,

My wife and I rented 2 single kayaks with a 10am start and went paddling with 4 other couples - 3 doubles and another set of 2 single kayaks. The guide gave us a good tour around a back lagoon. Saw a lot of coral and actually spotted a big stingray; she was flapping along quicker than I could kayak - what a site. Tour lasted an hour and a half with a few 5 minute breaks to rest. Lagoon was deserted except for two passing sea mobiles on the other side of a large lagoon. We really enjoyed it.

The open air bus took us back to the BBQ and central starting location. Then we got some plates of fresh fruit and headed to the beach.

A nice swim and an hour later we went onto a short line for some mahi-mahi, vegetables and corn on the cob. Food was good, about what you get at the Lido on an average lunch.

Walking along the road back to the tender was peaceful and we saw a few birds and heard a lot more.

:) We had a good time!

• 1 year later...
The chairs on the beach are free. There is a charge for using the clamshells which contain 2 chairs each.

Chairs are free. You may want to look into renting a clam shell though.

Thanks for the information. Since they rent clam shells does that mean there is little or no shade on the island?

Not enough shade for every pax should they all get off the ship to enjoy the island. If shade is important to you, then I suggest you spend the $15 and get a clamshell. It's really worth it. Happy Sailing!

Thanks! I don't have to have shade... just curious how much shade was available in case the sun gets too direct during the day.

With two ships at HMC the clamshells will sell out too! We were there in February on the Zuiderdam and did not book a clamshell in time. But the beach was beautiful - especially if you walk down the beach away from the big crowd. Even with two ships, it was quiet at the other end.

Regarding the clamshell rental: Are they already set up and you basically get assigned a clamshell, or do you just get a clamshell that you set up anywhere you want yourself?

How "heavy" are the clamshells to carry down the beach away from the crowded area? Do chairs come with the clamshell rental?

Also, any lockers on HMC?

Thank you!

One thing we enjoyed was to go to the area where people can swim with the stingrays. You can go down to the pier and see them even if you aren't doing that activity. There were quite a number of them in very shallow water so you could see them quite easily. You have to walk one of the paths to get there, but there are signs that will help you find it. Be sure to wear shoes or sandals as we found the path uncomfortable to walk on in bare feet.

Our experience with the BBQ was very poor. We waited in line for a long time and by the time we got to the food they were out of many items. The servers were no longer at their stations, so we just had to try to reach for what was still available. We were the only ship there that day, so I don't know how they could have underestimated the food amounts that badly. If I go on another cruise that goes to HMC, I will go back to the ship for lunch. Much more civilized!

One thing we enjoyed was to go to the area where people can swim with the stingrays. You can go down to the pier and see them even if you aren't doing that activity. There were quite a number of them in very shallow water so you could see them quite easily. You have to walk one of the paths to get there, but there are signs that will help you find it. Be sure to wear shoes or sandals as we found the path uncomfortable to walk on in bare feet.

We have also gone to the area where you swim with the stingrays and the attendant let us get in the water with the rays since no one was there.

Also for good snorkelers; there is a great snorkel place on the other side of the island only 5 minutes from the pier. The snorkeling at the main beach is fair to poor.

Good morning!

2 questions:

Has anyone done the horseback riding tour? We're thinking about that one.

Also, how do you find out if any other ships will be there? We'll be there on a Tuesday.

TIA,

Ellen

Good morning!

2 questions:

Has anyone done the horseback riding tour? We're thinking about that one.

Also, how do you find out if any other ships will be there? We'll be there on a Tuesday.

TIA,

Ellen

I don't know anything about the horseback riding tour - making my first stop at HMC later this year. But, I can give you the website that lists the number of ships in port.....

http://cruisett.com/ports.php

Pick your port, then the month/year. A chart will show the entire month with the name of the ships in port that day and the number of passengers the ships hold.

I've been to HMC probably six or seven times, and absolutely loved each and every visit.;) I've only been to one other cruise line beach, Great Stirup Cay with NCL, and it was an absolute pit.

If you're in to nature, there are trails for hiking, and if your fortunate like I was on one visit, my wife and I got to dive the back side of the island, Little San Salvador is the actual name of the island. The dive boat actually did a complete orbit of the island, and the diving on the back was great, kind of virgin and much deeper than the typical one tank dive usually offered on the front side. The beach at HMC has some of the most beautifully clear water in the Bahamas, but there reallly isn't much for snorklers to see. A number of years ago, HAL, the original owner, put some artificial reef structures down, and my guess is that more marine life is now hanging around there.

Nowadays, I book a cabana, usually the gray one, have a mimosa for breakfast, lobster and fillet for lunch, fruit snacks, liquor, beer and soft drinks served by our butler, misting fans on the porch, AC in the dining area, and for those 8 or so hours, you feel like a king. Then you have to walk back to the dock and face reality.:eek:

the best secret is to stay on the ship. you'll have it almost entirely to yourself.

have to agree - we've done it a couple of times too:D It's like having a private yacht:D Now we tend to go for a bit and then head back and enjoy the ship - especially if it's the last full day on the cruise;)

Clam shells can't be moved. You find one where you like the location and it's yours for the day. An attendant will set it up for you. If you want one further down the beach, just pick one in that location. There is no assignment.

Thanks for the reply! wasn't sure how the clamshells worked. I thought it might be nice to be able to have a little shade.

Great site , Wayfairers! Found out there won't be ANY ships with us at any of our ports!

You're welcome! I LOVE that site. I used it a couple of years ago but didn't bookmark it. Lucky for me someone on CC had the website address still and shared it with me!

Congrats on snagging a cruise with no other ships at any of your ports - that will be wonderful!

If you enjoy just being in the water we have always rented floating mats. This time, however, they had something new called a water hammock (which was the same price as the floating mat) and this was much more enjoyable. This is our new favorite thing in the water there.

:) :)

We have also gone to the area where you swim with the stingrays and the attendant let us get in the water with the rays since no one was there.

Also for good snorkelers; there is a great snorkel place on the other side of the island only 5 minutes from the pier. The snorkeling at the main beach is fair to poor.

Is there a path to the good snorkeling area? I did the snorkel excursion last time and really enjoyed it, but would love to snorkel from the beach.

Edited by slabeaume