12:08 flight out of MIA...WWYD?

MamaParrotHead

So torn on choosing a departing flight post-cruise. We've had such mixed luck on catching flights...missed a 2:00 one (due to Customs issues with the ship), booked a late one (4:00) based on that previous experience and ended up on the curb outside the terminal at 8:00 a.m., and used Luggage Express last time and ended up at the airport at a choice time (no security lines, the place was EMPTY) for a 12:30 flight.

I know Carnival advises anything after 12:00 is safe...what do you think? Also (and I did ask this in Cruise Air)...anyone familiar with the Memphis airport? This flight only has a 45 minute layover and I was curious as to how big and easy-to-navigate the Memphis airport is.

My other option is a 1:30 flight, but that's with a 3 1/2 hour layover in Detriot. BLECH.

I would take teh 12:08 flight, arrange a private transfer, and carry your own luggage off. We did this and were curbside by 9am and then had to wait in airport lines for almost 2 solid hours.

OR I would look for a flight out of FLL. It's only about a half hour away. We used MIA once for a cruise, and will NEVER EVER do it again. Now we use FLL, no issues, ever.

Just returned from Miami. Booked a 10:20 AM flight after our Liberty cruise. Used self assist and we were off the ship by 7:30, grabbed a cab and were at our gate by 8:20. Of course, everything depends on your ship being on time. Either way, I think a 12:08 flight is perfectly fine.

So torn on choosing a departing flight post-cruise. We've had such mixed luck on catching flights...missed a 2:00 one (due to Customs issues with the ship), booked a late one (4:00) based on that previous experience and ended up on the curb outside the terminal at 8:00 a.m., and used Luggage Express last time and ended up at the airport at a choice time (no security lines, the place was EMPTY) for a 12:30 flight.

I know Carnival advises anything after 12:00 is safe...what do you think? Also (and I did ask this in Cruise Air)...anyone familiar with the Memphis airport? This flight only has a 45 minute layover and I was curious as to how big and easy-to-navigate the Memphis airport is.

My other option is a 1:30 flight, but that's with a 3 1/2 hour layover in Detriot. BLECH.

I say take the noon flight, but be sure you have travel insurance!!!

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) as you well know. The life we live is highly circumstantial - what if we hit a stray iceberg, or lightning strikes the bow, or maybe Homeland [facade of] Security searches everyone? Ya could easily miss all different flights, but a 12:08 should be fine, maybe tight, maybe not. A 45 minute layover is perfect if your flight is on time - if not, enjoy the airport... You may be there a while ;)

You can use flightstats dot com to figure out whether your flights are punctual. So many wonderful tools thanks to the open internet.

Archived