What coverage?

gakawgirl

my existing health ins. covers me if I am out of the country for up to 30 days. so, when purchasing ins. would I just need lost baggage and trip cancellation? we are driving to the port so there would be no flight delay problems. I have looked online and there are so many plans how do you choose?

There are a lot things other than medical that can delay a trip: you can have issues driving to the port that could cause you to be late or need coverage, medical evacuation in case of a serious illness.... go to insuremytrip.com or similar site and look at all options... we drive as well but still get the insurance to cover our driving days to and from ship.

If you want cancellation coverage, then you might as well purchase a plan that covers medical anyway - the package policies come combined and you can't really find a policy that covers pre-trip cancellation without medical coverage.

BUT....Does your medical policy include evacuation insurance? If you become seriously ill or injured will you be treated at the nearest local hospital or do you want to be flown back home? If you want to have evac coverage and your current medical policy does not include that, then you need the medical coverage.

You can choose from the best by going to tripinsurancestore.com. Good explanations of what this insurance is (and is not), pre-screened policies, good phone support.

There are medical evacuation only policies if you want just that.

Archived