Pearl Harbor

priya08

Hello, we are planning to rent a car and do Pearl Harbor ourselves instead of taking a tour. I have read that we should go really early. Why is that? Do they run out of tickets? How long is the lineup?

Our ship leaves at 9pm from Honolulu and if we have a rough idea about Pearl Harbor, then we can plan other activities for the day.

Hello, we are planning to rent a car and do Pearl Harbor ourselves instead of taking a tour. I have read that we should go really early. Why is that? Do they run out of tickets? How long is the lineup?

Our ship leaves at 9pm from Honolulu and if we have a rough idea about Pearl Harbor, then we can plan other activities for the day.

I believe Pearl Harbor opens at 7:30 in the AM and tours start about 8:00. The earlier you can get there the better, as there is the chance that they will book all tours for the day before you get there. Usually, if you are there before 10 you have a very good chance of doing a tour that day, but at that time your tour could be in the afternoon, you just have no way of knowing. The particular day you want to go, there may be a bunch of people wanted to do Pearl Harbor also. Try and get off the ship ASAP, get your car and head out to Pearl.

If you are just going to see thre Arizona Memorial, from the time you start your tour, it is about 75 minutes from start to finish. If you want to see the Missouri also, I would leave at least another hour or more for that, same for the Bowfin.

You just enver know how long the line for tickets will be, how early people start lining up, and each day may bring a different result.

Cheers

Len

Last summer we were with a private tour for Pearl Harbor. The bus driver went to get our tickets at about 7:30-7:45. We were tour 3. Your ticket is a picture souvenier post card depiction of a brave young man who lost his life at Pearl Harbor.

While waiting for our movie at the doors to the theatre, when they were letting the people for tour 2 in, there were empty seats, and asked anyone with a ticket for show 3 if they wanted to go early. Since we were with a tour group we did not, others did.

They let you keep the post card as a souvenier.

Safe travels.

GO EARLY! They can run out of tickets, as happened on our trip. They CAN shut down the tour! (Run by the Navy, if it is unsafe they don't sail) We were there to get our tickets on a bus tour by 9:05 am and couldn't get ticktet until 2:00 boat. You can NOT get ticktets UNTIL THAT Day! And can only get tickets for yourself. (not say a group )

GO EARLY! They can run out of tickets, as happened on our trip. They CAN shut down the tour! (Run by the Navy, if it is unsafe they don't sail) We were there to get our tickets on a bus tour by 9:05 am and couldn't get ticktet until 2:00 boat. You can NOT get ticktets UNTIL THAT Day! And can only get tickets for yourself. (not say a group )

So does this mean all 4 of us need to be in the ticket line? I was hoping 2 of us went to check bags while 2 of us get the tickets. So if we stay together will there be time to check our bags after we get the tickets?

Thanks

We just returned from Hawaii. We went to the Arizona Memorial on 3/19. We went very early. We put everyone "stuff" inside my big bag to check. It costs $3.00 per bag to check, it was not a locker as I thought. You can not take anything except a camera in with you. We were some of the first in line and got tickets for 9:00 AM. When we came back there were buses of "tours" there and there was such a line of people some of them had tickets that said 1:30. This was just a little after 10:00. There were 4 survivors of Pearl Harbor there signing books and such. It was an honor to speak to them and so interesting. Some people in a group were waiting to speak to these survivors and the others had gotten their tickets. There was going to be such a big time difference in their boat shuttles that they were debating if this part of their group was going to get to go out to the Arizona. Everyone in your group should get in line for the tickets at the same time. It's such an awesome place, it's worth any wait, but if you can be there when it opens you'll be in and out before the bus crowds. We them went to the cemetary at Punchbowl Crater. A beautiful place if you have the time and it's not far from Pearl. We did not go to the Missouri or Bowfin. We've seen battleships elsewhere.

We just returned from Hawaii. We went to the Arizona Memorial on 3/19. We went very early. We put everyone "stuff" inside my big bag to check. It costs $3.00 per bag to check, it was not a locker as I thought. You can not take anything except a camera in with you. We were some of the first in line and got tickets for 9:00 AM. When we came back there were buses of "tours" there and there was such a line of people some of them had tickets that said 1:30. This was just a little after 10:00. There were 4 survivors of Pearl Harbor there signing books and such. It was an honor to speak to them and so interesting. Some people in a group were waiting to speak to these survivors and the others had gotten their tickets. There was going to be such a big time difference in their boat shuttles that they were debating if this part of their group was going to get to go out to the Arizona. Everyone in your group should get in line for the tickets at the same time. It's such an awesome place, it's worth any wait, but if you can be there when it opens you'll be in and out before the bus crowds. We them went to the cemetary at Punchbowl Crater. A beautiful place if you have the time and it's not far from Pearl. We did not go to the Missouri or Bowfin. We've seen battleships elsewhere.

Thanks for this info!

I read that sandals are not allowed on the Arizona and you must wear closed toe shoes. Do you know if this rule is accurate?

What time were you in line? Actually our dilemma is this: The USS Arizona is closed the Sat we wanted to tour. So, our only option is to try to see it before we go to the airport. We need to be at the airport around 11:00 am for a 1:00pm flight. It would all work out if we could get 9:30am tickets. But of course we will have our luggage and we need to get off the ship very quickly??? I don't know I would be really disappointed if I couldnt do it. Anybody think it is doable?

What time were you in line? Actually our dilemma is this: The USS Arizona is closed the Sat we wanted to tour. So, our only option is to try to see it before we go to the airport. We need to be at the airport around 11:00 am for a 1:00pm flight. It would all work out if we could get 9:30am tickets. But of course we will have our luggage and we need to get off the ship very quickly??? I don't know I would be really disappointed if I couldnt do it. Anybody think it is doable?

In a word NO

So does this mean all 4 of us need to be in the ticket line? I was hoping 2 of us went to check bags while 2 of us get the tickets. So if we stay together will there be time to check our bags after we get the tickets?

Thanks

Everyone who wants a ticket MUST be in line. You cannot secure tickets for others who are doing something else. Sorry

Cheers

Len

Not possible. Even if you got 9:30 am tickets, it wouldn't work. For one thing, you cannot check full size luggage at PH, so you'd have to stash it somewhere, which would take time or you'd have to come back for it if you check it at the pier. If you wanted to rent a car, you wouldn't possibly have enough time to get to the car rental, get the car, get to PH, do the tour, get the car to the return, return the car, shuttle to the airport, and check in for your flight.

There is simply no scenario where this would work for you. I'm so sorry.

beachchick

The Memorial opens at 7:30. We were there just a few minutes past that. If you have any time before you board the cruise ship it might work, but I don't see how it would be possible on the Saturday you disembark. By 9:00 AM the lines were long. (That's about the time the shore excursions from the POA were showing up, but those people had much later flights.)

I'm so sorry if you have to miss this, it was one of the highlights of our trip. Is it too late to see if you could change to an evening flight? Many people use the ships excursion to see this with no hassles with luggage, transportation, etc. We had two days before and two days after our cruise to see Oahu. It was nice to have the extra time, but one day after would have been enough. I hope you can find a solution.

Best of luck and happy travels!

The Memorial opens at 7:30. We were there just a few minutes past that. If you have any time before you board the cruise ship it might work, but I don't see how it would be possible on the Saturday you disembark. By 9:00 AM the lines were long. (That's about the time the shore excursions from the POA were showing up, but those people had much later flights.)

I'm so sorry if you have to miss this, it was one of the highlights of our trip. Is it too late to see if you could change to an evening flight? Many people use the ships excursion to see this with no hassles with luggage, transportation, etc. We had two days before and two days after our cruise to see Oahu. It was nice to have the extra time, but one day after would have been enough. I hope you can find a solution.

Best of luck and happy travels!

Sorry to stray slightly off-topic but could you share what you did in Oahu, corvette1963? We have a similar schedule to yours (2 days before and 2 days after) but having a hard time prioritizing what to do. Thanks!

Not possible. Even if you got 9:30 am tickets, it wouldn't work. For one thing, you cannot check full size luggage at PH, so you'd have to stash it somewhere, which would take time or you'd have to come back for it if you check it at the pier. If you wanted to rent a car, you wouldn't possibly have enough time to get to the car rental, get the car, get to PH, do the tour, get the car to the return, return the car, shuttle to the airport, and check in for your flight.

There is simply no scenario where this would work for you. I'm so sorry.

beachchick

Thanks beachchick. We will probably still visit the day we planned and look at other things there. I thought I had the luggage storage solved as I found a post that said no larger than 30x30x18 which is good enough for us. I dont know where I saw it maybe trip advisor? Anyway, yeah it would be crazy to attempt and changing flights for us involves two airlines and more $. I appreciate all your help. Maybe someday I will be able to get back for the boat ride

Thanks beachchick. We will probably still visit the day we planned and look at other things there. I thought I had the luggage storage solved as I found a post that said no larger than 30x30x18 which is good enough for us. I dont know where I saw it maybe trip advisor? Anyway, yeah it would be crazy to attempt and changing flights for us involves two airlines and more $. I appreciate all your help. Maybe someday I will be able to get back for the boat ride

It would be great to know, one way or the other, if they have added full-size luggage to what they will store at PH. I just can't imagine them having the space for lots of large suitcases, but perhaps the size of the storage facility has been increased. Still, I can't imagine hauling large suitcases to PH, but if it's allowed and it's the only option, then it's better than not going at all.

beachchick

I am just off the Zaandam. We were in Honolulu on 3/19 Celebreity Constellation was also there.

My Dad and I wanted to see the Missouri because we have both seen the Arizona. We got off the Ship at 8:00 and took a Cab to Pearl Harbar. The Coast with Tip was $40.00. We must have arrived sometime between 8:15 and 8:30 and they were booking for the 12:45 at the time we arrived. They had someone greeting all the cabs to let them know.

I ran into allot of people onthe ship who had booked shore excursions and they couldn't get on the tour til 1:00. Their tour directors moved the tour around.

There was one group that was from Indiana who were on a private tour and their tour director did not get there in time for tickets.

We took the City Bus Back to the Aloha Towers a nd that took an hour.

You might want to get the cab and than take the bus to the airport to rent the car. That way you can tell if you have enough time.

We did not get back to the ship til about 3:30.

Hi Rebecca,

The things we did in Oahu...We drove to the north shore (so beautiful) more than once and ate at one of the shrimp trucks. (Romy's) Some liked it better than others. On the drive to the north shore there are places you can stop and see sea turtles, surfers, etc. We also drove as far as you can on the west shore and saw where homeless people have camps on the beaches.

We ate at Duke's and other ocean front restaurants in Waikiki, walked on the beach. We walked through the marketplace down by the beach hotels more than once. We went to the Dole Plantation.

We went to the top of Diamond Head for sunrise. A big disappointment. I misunderstood how far and difficult a climb this would be, and we didn't leave in time. There is a tunnel at the top and it was so full of other tourists we couldn't go any further and had to go to a lower overlook (missed the actual sunrise.) If anyone does this, leave very early and each person have a flashlight. The sidewalk gives way to treacherous uneven ground.

We went to Pearl Harbor very early and beat the crowds. We went to the cemetery at Punchbowl crater. A beautiful place and awesome views of Honolulu from up there.

We went snorkeling at Hanauma (sp?) Bay. This is the one thing I wish we'd have done more, maybe go to Sharks Reef (or Cove?) also. We had never done this before and we loved it.

We went to Germaine's Luah.

Some of the things we were going to do and didn't was go horseback riding at one of the ranches, and see the palaces and Waimea Valley.

If I had it to plan over however, I would have liked to have spent the 2 days after the cruise on Maui instead and flown home from there. It would have added the cost of getting to Maui, but we are not likely to ever get to go back. We really would have had time to see the highlights of Oahu on the 2 days before, and there were things on Maui we'd have loved to have had more time for. But then we're not "Big City" people, so maybe that appeals more to lots of others.

I gained so much from this website, if there's anything else you'd like to ask feel free.

Mary

Hi Rebecca,

The things we did in Oahu...We drove to the north shore (so beautiful) more than once and ate at one of the shrimp trucks. (Romy's) Some liked it better than others. On the drive to the north shore there are places you can stop and see sea turtles, surfers, etc. We also drove as far as you can on the west shore and saw where homeless people have camps on the beaches.

We ate at Duke's and other ocean front restaurants in Waikiki, walked on the beach. We walked through the marketplace down by the beach hotels more than once. We went to the Dole Plantation.

We went to the top of Diamond Head for sunrise. A big disappointment. I misunderstood how far and difficult a climb this would be, and we didn't leave in time. There is a tunnel at the top and it was so full of other tourists we couldn't go any further and had to go to a lower overlook (missed the actual sunrise.) If anyone does this, leave very early and each person have a flashlight. The sidewalk gives way to treacherous uneven ground.

We went to Pearl Harbor very early and beat the crowds. We went to the cemetery at Punchbowl crater. A beautiful place and awesome views of Honolulu from up there.

We went snorkeling at Hanauma (sp?) Bay. This is the one thing I wish we'd have done more, maybe go to Sharks Reef (or Cove?) also. We had never done this before and we loved it.

We went to Germaine's Luah.

Some of the things we were going to do and didn't was go horseback riding at one of the ranches, and see the palaces and Waimea Valley.

If I had it to plan over however, I would have liked to have spent the 2 days after the cruise on Maui instead and flown home from there. It would have added the cost of getting to Maui, but we are not likely to ever get to go back. We really would have had time to see the highlights of Oahu on the 2 days before, and there were things on Maui we'd have loved to have had more time for. But then we're not "Big City" people, so maybe that appeals more to lots of others.

I gained so much from this website, if there's anything else you'd like to ask feel free.

Mary

Thanks so much, Mary!

We had a car and left our hotel just after 6am. We were in line and got on the first boat. When we got back from the Arizona Memorial they were handing out 11 am tickets. So GO EARLY and then you'll have the rest of the day to do other things as you wish. I took the advice of people posting on CC and this worked out very well for us. Regarding shoes, I saw sandals and all sorts of footwear. Just don't bring much to check. The best thing is bring what fits in your pocket. If you have to check things you waste time that could've been used to stand in line. You can download info from the US National Park site. It was posted earlier on CC and that's where I got lots of info. This was a very moving experience and well worth going to. When we went there were brief rain showers and we actually saw a double rainbow over the Memorial. When we were in the gift shop they had matted photos of the Memorial with a rainbow over it and I bought one as a memento.

Archived