Taku Glacier Feast/Flight or just Flight

fishinfool

Will be in Juneau May 26th and would like feedback if you would do the Wings Airway Taku Glacier Feast/Flight or just the flight. Is the landing at Taku/meal worth $100 per person extra? Assume its the same flight pattern...40-50 mins

Thanks,

:) We did this excursion in '07, and we loved it! It was the highlight of our whole trip! The flight over the glaciers was great, but landing at the lodge made the trip, IMHO. The lodge was quaint, and the host told us stories about the original owners while we dined on the delicious salmon meal. There was a trail that you could walk (we didn't), and even a nice giftshop on the premises. I ended up purchasing a platter like the one we ate on; a very useful souvenir! This trip was so worth it to us! We would do it, again, for sure! It is also a much better value for the money vs the helicopter excursions---you get at least 3-3 1/2 hours, if I remember correctly. I definitely think you would be glad that you did the "feast", as well as the flight!

The salmon bake is very good. I took this tour, when they spent hours at the lodge and I was ready to go, long before we did. This is a shorter timeframe now, which depending on YOUR interests, is an extremely scenic flight. An alternative for excellent salmon, and a cheaper option is a local restaurant, or the Gold Creek Salmon Bake.

I am so glad to read these positive reviews. We did just the Wings flight on our last trip to Juneau. It was the highlight of our entire trip. BREATHTAKING is the best word I have to describe it. We definitely wanted to do it again for this upcoming trip and decided to do the lodge with it to add to the already wonderful experience.

For those that have done this trip, I have a question for you, please. I do not care for salmon. I have seen pictures, and it looks like there will be plenty of other things for me to eat there. Correct?

For those that have done this trip, I have a question for you, please. I do not care for salmon. I have seen pictures, and it looks like there will be plenty of other things for me to eat there. Correct?

There is other food, but contact them directly for the current menus.

TLH---I just googled Taku Glacier Lodge and Feast, and it will bring you to a site entitled "Island Wings and Taku Lodge and Feast". There are some good videos of the lodge and you can also see the menu. After watching this, I SO MUCH want to go back!! The trip is 3 hours long; 3 1/2- 4 hours would have made it a little more leisurely for me. We didn't walk the trail because we spent too much time in the gift shop lol!

Hope this helps you decide.

This was the highlight of one of our trips to Alaska. The flight was breathtaking, the food was delicous, and the bears that hang VERY close by to enjoy the salmon juice drippings from the grill were frosting on a wonderful cake. Enjoy!

Elaine and Dave

This was the highlight of one of our trips to Alaska. The flight was breathtaking, the food was delicous, and the bears that hang VERY close by to enjoy the salmon juice drippings from the grill were frosting on a wonderful cake. Enjoy!

Elaine and Dave

Thanks all for the feedback. I've booked the Taku Flight & Feast directly with Wings Airway, better price and time than cruise line. I'm sure this will be one of our highlights of a great cruise! :)

• 1 month later...

Silly question I know, but I am on the chunky side and embarrassed about my weight. :( I see that for the Taku Lodge excursion they ask you for your weight. Are you asked discreely or do you have to blurt out your weight in front of everyone?

Wondering if the morning and afternoon menus are the same. Have noticed on CC that some flights start at 8:30am and some at 11:30am. Meals start one hour after takeoff. Suppose I could call, but just came across this topic.

Thanks.

Hi,

Curious if the time you got is the same as the cruise ship excursion. Trying to get the latest time to get back to the ship by 3:30pm. Hoping to squeeze in a whale watching first thing in the AM.

Thanks.

We just returned home last night. We did the lodge trip on Wednesday last week. Our departure time was scheduled for 12:30, but we did run a little late. It was great. Our meal was salmon, baked beans, coleslaw, apples, bread, and ginger cookies. I would like to warn those of you going soon that the mosquitoes were BAD there!!!!! They do provide bug spray, though. My family just stayed inside the lodge after taking a few pictures outside. We did not want to battle the mosquitoes. They were everywhere!

Silly question I know, but I am on the chunky side and embarrassed about my weight. :( I see that for the Taku Lodge excursion they ask you for your weight. Are you asked discreely or do you have to blurt out your weight in front of everyone?

Most of the time they are careful how and where they ask about weight. They may also put you on a scale but no one else will see the total. Everything you have with you counts in your weight.

Most of the time they are careful how and where they ask about weight. They may also put you on a scale but no one else will see the total. Everything you have with you counts in your weight.

In our case, they asked us to write our weight on our ticket. Then we handed that ticket to the lady from Wings that we met at the pier. We never stepped on a scale.

Archived