Cruising for the first time - solo

Hi All and Good Evening :)

I just got to thinking and wondered on peoples experiences (male and female) as a solo cruiser. :cool:

I am going on the Destiny in August - the first time crusing solo - and wondered how people reacact to you being on your own - have you had people frown upon it, or different views etc....

I have been on holiday a few times on my own, but never a cruise :-

Am feeling a tad nervous about my first time as a solo onboard a cruise ship :confused:

Be great to hear what you think about all of this :rolleyes:

I have been on 4 cruises solo and don't panic, there is a excellent chance you will be hooked and spend the rest of your life fretting over how long it is to your next cruise.

Solo meets are common and they are not compulsory, if you don't want to go no problem. I go just to see who is there and you might get a free drink :) On a 13 nighter last year there were several invitations by the social hostess to various meals, coffee, free drinks etc and about 16 people turned up and some informally arranged to meet for dinner as the ship had open seating in the main dining room. Contrast this to my last cruise where only 2 people attended the meet but this cruise was so port intensive with long excursions it did not matter.

For me the dining arrangements are a issue I worried about. with open seating you may be shown to a table where the occupants don't want you. No problem, you can ask the maitre 'd for a larger, livelier table or maybe even one with other solo travellers. Your first cruise on Destiny might be easier as there are set times for dinner. I imagine that you will be allocated a table for the cruise so will be sitting with the same people each evening, again a word with the matre' 'd can work wonders.

Don't have a inferiority complex about cruising solo, think of it like this, its your holiday and enjoy yourself. You either a) paid more than anyone else so are special, or, b) your solo supplement was a nice discount on a double cabin so feel smug about it :)

I found the vast majority of cruisers are nice people from a wide variety of backgrounds with interesting things to say, and they are all there to enjoy themselves.

hi dave the road, i am so comforted by your words. Although i have cruised many times, on several lines, it has always been as a couple. I chose thomson for the friendlyness, the english language predominance and the entertainment. This is my first time solo. Only 5 nights so might not be too many other solos, but hey ho its only 5 nights i can manage that.

Dining i suppose is the biggest worry, Even as a couple we have had a few , just a few, miserable table companions who wont chat.

Bars also , as a single woman , concern me a wee bit. I would never, never go into a bar on my own here at home or poss on a land based holiday either. Unless at a people watching pavement cafe.... I feel safe on the ship though.

hi dave the road, i am so comforted by your words. Although i have cruised many times, on several lines, it has always been as a couple. I chose thomson for the friendlyness, the english language predominance and the entertainment. This is my first time solo. Only 5 nights so might not be too many other solos, but hey ho its only 5 nights i can manage that.

Dining i suppose is the biggest worry, Even as a couple we have had a few , just a few, miserable table companions who wont chat.

Bars also , as a single woman , concern me a wee bit. I would never, never go into a bar on my own here at home or poss on a land based holiday either. Unless at a people watching pavement cafe.... I feel safe on the ship though.

Hey, I know what you mean about the dining - from what I gather on Thomsons, they have a table for solo people - lets wait and see - I do have plans to speak with the Maitre "D" as soon as I board the ship to sort out the dining situation.

Well, I know I will probably end up getting some funny looks from people in the bars, being on my own - but I have no intention of having early nights because of the odd few who cannot accpet people are single and therefore go on holiday on there own.

I have emailed one of the waiters I chatted to on the Destiny back in Dec 2008 - he is still working on the Destiny - so at least there will be 1 person I will know - haha - oh well - cocktails here I come!!!!!! :eek: :D ;)

Hey, I know what you mean about the dining - from what I gather on Thomsons, they have a table for solo people - lets wait and see - I do have plans to speak with the Maitre "D" as soon as I board the ship to sort out the dining situation.

Well, I know I will probably end up getting some funny looks from people in the bars, being on my own - but I have no intention of having early nights because of the odd few who cannot accpet people are single and therefore go on holiday on there own.

I have emailed one of the waiters I chatted to on the Destiny back in Dec 2008 - he is still working on the Destiny - so at least there will be 1 person I will know - haha - oh well - cocktails here I come!!!!!! :eek: :D ;)

It's such a piy that you and perthorchid aren't on the same cruise! Now wouldn't that have just been perfect? :) You could have sat up into the wee small hours together sampling the cocktails! ;)

It's such a piy that you and perthorchid aren't on the same cruise! Now wouldn't that have just been perfect? :) You could have sat up into the wee small hours together sampling the cocktails! ;)

Haha, in that case it would be in to the long small hours ;) Yes it is - I shall have to get some info before I go - to see what the situation is like - got a way to go yet - but am sure it will come around very quickly :eek:

I'm sure your own positive attitude will help a lot. We have met and chatted to several solo passengers on different cruises. One lovely lady was on her own as her husband was in a nursing home so it was the only way she could have a holiday. However another lady we sat with at breakfast one day was really sarcastic and critical about any conversation topic and we didn't enjoy her company at all!

My friend has been on excursions on her own when the rest of us were doing a trip she didn't fancy. I went to watch a talent show on my own when the rest of our party went to a dance I didn't fancy. The first day of our first cruise I went to lunch at the Lido on my own while Paul was asleep in the cabin. During the daytime a book is a good prop that you can read or put down as suits the situation. Paul goes to the gym on his own while I prefer to walk the prom deck on my own.

I do hope you enjoy your holiday.

Carol x

Archived