Dream Fun Hub info

beccadoby

I have read some info on the Dream Fun Hub.

And have talked to a few people about it but have never really gotten FULL details.

I do understand that there are stations and you can access some things free (capers, weather, ports of call...etc...)

So, anyone who has actually used it, please give ALL the details, PLEASE!

Ex-

How much to rent one, as in the one you take to your cabin (netbook).

Can you rent on a daily basis? Or does it need to be entire cruise?

What is the $$ if you are using your own laptop?

If you are using your own laptop, how was the "fun hub" different than the other internet packages we have purchased in the past?

Thanks!

well, you are correct

They are located on the ship and some info is free such as the ship, activity info, menus, and social site.

But there are only something like 35 stations.

You can "rent" a netbook so you can have your own personal one.

OR you can bring your own laptop to access it.

Internet you still pay for

The Fun Hubs have two functions... one is as the free to use on board social networking site. You can make friends... leave messages... check out the Carival web site, etc.

The same terminals also allow internet access at the normal posted rates...

Dream138.jpg

Dream139.jpg

Dream137.jpg

There's about 42 Fun Hub stations on the ship, 20 (I believe...) of which are portable. The portables are for rent and are really netbooks...

:)

Thanks Mach for the pic with the rates!

Also, there are only 2 people using the computers in your pics.

My thoughts were that since there are so few stations, they would be full at all times.

I guess since so many people travel with their personal laptops, that helps.

So if you have your own personal laptop, I know you can access the "free stuff" but can you access it while anywhere on the ship (your cabin?)

When I sailed on the Dream, there weren't many people using the "Fun Hub" stations for what I think it is intended for. I think the whole time I was onboard there were maybe 20 messages on the message boards. I used it mostly to check weather. I can see that they might be useful for large groups travelling together, or kids and teens who want to make sure everyone meets at a specific place on ship at a specific time, but I didn't see much use for it otherwise. Remember, it is only the internal shipboard info and carnival's own website that you can surf to... everything else you still pay for.

My thoughts were that since there are so few stations, they would be full at all times.

So if you have your own personal laptop, I know you can access the "free stuff" but can you access it while anywhere on the ship (your cabin?)

The only thing you can access with your laptop for free is the Carnival web site.

The social networking stuff is an app that's resident on Carnival's machines...

The only thing you can access with your laptop for free is the Carnival web site.

I thought you were suppose to be able to access the Fun Hub from your own laptop.

Ummmmm... I couldn't....

:confused:

Thats weird that you couldn't get it. I just found the press release and it said you can access it on a guest computer or any Wi-Fi enabled device.

Here is the quote:

A year-long collaboration involving Carnival’s hotel operations, marketing, IT and guest experience departments, the Carnival Dream’s on-board social network and intranet portal are available on any guest computer or Wi-Fi enabled device free of charge.

http://carnival-news.com/2009/07/16/interactive-‘funhub’-to-debut-on-new-carnival-dream/

Thats weird that you couldn't get it. I just found the press release and it said you can access it on a guest computer or any Wi-Fi enabled device.

Here is the quote:

A year-long collaboration involving Carnival’s hotel operations, marketing, IT and guest experience departments, the Carnival Dream’s on-board social network and intranet portal are available on any guest computer or Wi-Fi enabled device free of charge.

http://carnival-news.com/2009/07/16/interactive-‘funhub’-to-debut-on-new-carnival-dream/

Hummm... unless I logged in, and started burning minutes, all I found was the Carnival web site...

Of course... there were quite a few problems with the system when I was on board. I could never post on Cruise Critic although I could almost see the entire Carnival forum before the system timed out. However, the intranet should not have been effected...

Hummm... unless I logged in, and started burning minutes, all I found was the Carnival web site...

Of course... there were quite a few problems with the system when I was on board. I could never post on Cruise Critic although I could almost see the entire Carnival forum before the system timed out. However, the intranet should not have been effected...

Maybe they didn't have the system worked out yet???

Not all the computers/laptops were in the same area. They were scattered throughout a few areas of the ship. Mach's pictures show the main area on deck 5. There was one in the library and a few in the corridor outside the conference rooms between the 2 dining rooms. I vaguely remember one other area where I may have seen computers but cannot pinpoint where I saw them.:eek:

Maybe nothing new to add but my college age son, (19) met others on board via our CC roll call meet and greet, then he and the younger group used it to keep up with others during the week, and most of the time they met in the main fun hub area. It was very successful for their group!!

He thought it was the best part of the cruise.. (his 3rd) I'm thinking the no meal planning, cooking, or cleaning, was the highlight for me...but to each his own.. :D

Maybe nothing new to add but my college age son, (19) met others on board via our CC roll call meet and greet, then he and the younger group used it to keep up with others during the week, and most of the time they met in the main fun hub area. It was very successful for their group!!

He thought it was the best part of the cruise.. (his 3rd)

I think that was one of the main intents of the fun hub and your son and friends made good use of it. I guess that is a great appeal to the young ones who know how to take advantage of what's offered in this age of technology and can benefit from it.

I'm thinking the no meal planning, cooking, or cleaning, was the highlight for me...but to each his own.. :D
Why would he see this as a highlight on a cruise? Isn't this the norm for him at home? LOL :D:D

Mach,

You can also access SeaMiles for free. Or FunMiles now, which reminds me I need to activate my new card and switch over from SeaMiles.....I have a week left; time to get it done! :p

And I purchased the $89 plan. I was able to access the FunHub intranet from my personal laptop without burning my minutes. WiFi worked fine from my cabin (6404), and I would say that the speed was what I expected - about 1/4 as fast as my home internet. I would probably equate the speed with dialup.

I was happy with the service - knowing its limitation (speed) up front. BTW, I printed ALOT of stuff from the printer at the main Hub, and was not charged.

Hope this helps! LOVED the Dream!

Bruce

aka Counsel

I thought you were suppose to be able to access the Fun Hub from your own laptop.

I'm pretty sure I did. Actually positive because I only logged in once at the Fun Hub to print something. You can print from a laptop but I didn't fell like fooling with the bs.

We could get to ship board activities and also there was a forum where you could post messages, create a group posting area, etc.

forgot to mention we had a loong drive so the kids brought their laptops for entertainment and were able to access the Carnival funhub for free once on board...our son and his new acquaintances "funhubbies" found it convenient to access and meet at the main area near the Lanai...

Ummmmm... I couldn't....

:confused:

We kept in touch with my 17 DD via the funhub...we had the laptop in the cabin, and believe it or not, my DD was able to access it through her IPOD....i came in handy as she could leave us a message as where she was at and vice versa...

Not only did you have crapola weather, but you had computer gremlins as well. :)

Thankfully they got it worked out, and all was available from in-room access on both of my sailings on Carnival Dream.

That being said . . . the MTN system being utilized is not extremely secure. During my December sailing, I logged in brand new at one of the FunHub stations, to access some of my banking info. Apparently it's the same bank an earlier passenger also logged into, and the cookies/cache/whatever allowed me instant access into their account with ability to modify things. :eek: Had I been a bad person, I could have thrown a huge wrench into their cruise week. I approached the internet manager about it the following day, and he seemed completely unconcerned. :rolleyes:

During my February sailing, a very similar situation happened to another passenger who was in the FunHub at the same time. He and his wife were rather mortified at what they were given viewing access to from an earlier user.

Archived