western Mediterranean in Sept. 2010

juschuck

Hope I can chime in here--not sure about this Best Western--you will want to be sure that it is somewhere within close proximity of "Las Ramblas," the main pedestrian avenue of the city. You can walk to just about everything from there--I don't recall seeing a BW anywhere in the vicinity but I wasn't looking. We absolutely loved Hotel 1898 but it is a bit pricey--

Rome: the train is SO easy! Please don't waste your $225/pp on that day. There are lots of threads with walking directions to get to all the major sites. And you do not need to speak Italian! You need to know BIRG and Binario (platform)!

In Marseille, we rented a car and drove to Aix-en-Provence, but if I had to do it again I would highly recommend Avignon--beautiful town and IMO lots more to see. I have not yet managed to get to Les Baux but reportedly also beautiful. Not much to draw my attention in Marseille when there is so much to see close by. The small village of Cassis right outside Marseille is also wonderful.

Villefranche: very easy to take a bus to the main bus station in Nice (10 minutes or so) then we hopped another bus to St. Paul de Vence, a very charming town in the hills; then we took another bus up to Vence which we enjoyed as well. You can also bus to the village of Eze, or to Monaco--all very easy to do by public transport.

I also prepared a notebook with CC suggestions, maps, restaurant recommendations, bus/train timetables etc. for each stop on our cruise--and ended up loaning it out a bunch to fellow cruisers who hadn't done as much homework. To me, the planning is easily 1/3 of the fun!

Cathy

My friend and I stayed at one of the Warwick Hotel chains in Barcelona and loved it. Very central, very contemporary and a great breakfast. The hotel was on a side street and was very quiet. At the time when we cruised the road was under construction but should be completed by now. Check out this hotel - I don't remember the cost but we dealt with the hotel directly. Got a good deal. Barcelona is my favourite European city.

Yes, I would not miss Eze. It was awesome. Go to the top if you can. You can't really describe the views--have to see it.

Also, from Napes, we loved Sorrento. Our taxi driver (Giovanni Rotondo with Napoli Taxi, e-mail: giovannirotondotaxi@libero.it) took us first to Mt. Vesuvius--got there ahead of all the buses. Then some stops for photos of beautiful views on our way to Sorrento. He then waited while we shopped & had lunch in Sorrento. Wish we could have stayed longer. Upon returning to Naples, he gave us a quick tour of the city & took us to shops to find specific items we were looking for. We would never have had the time to find these on our own.

In Rome, I would definitely recommend a private tour. There's too much to see. You especially need a tour guide of the Vatican.

Have a great time! We certainly did!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I too am afraid of strikes in Italy. My brother told me, not long ago, that while he was in Florence he was not able to buy tickets for admission to the Uffizi museum because of a strike. Those that bought tickets ahead of time got in. Because of strikes, I too am afraid of using public transportation and then trying to make it back to the ship on time. I have traveled public transportation in Japan and the UK without problems, but I was not on a cruise at the time. To me it was worth paying a little extra to use the cruise line "Rome on your Own" excursion. I will use the train the next time I am in Rome without cruise ship.

Hope I can chime in here--not sure about this Best Western--you will want to be sure that it is somewhere within close proximity of "Las Ramblas," the main pedestrian avenue of the city. You can walk to just about everything from there--I don't recall seeing a BW anywhere in the vicinity but I wasn't looking. We absolutely loved Hotel 1898 but it is a bit pricey--

Rome: the train is SO easy! Please don't waste your $225/pp on that day. There are lots of threads with walking directions to get to all the major sites. And you do not need to speak Italian! You need to know BIRG and Binario (platform)!

In Marseille, we rented a car and drove to Aix-en-Provence, but if I had to do it again I would highly recommend Avignon--beautiful town and IMO lots more to see. I have not yet managed to get to Les Baux but reportedly also beautiful. Not much to draw my attention in Marseille when there is so much to see close by. The small village of Cassis right outside Marseille is also wonderful.

Villefranche: very easy to take a bus to the main bus station in Nice (10 minutes or so) then we hopped another bus to St. Paul de Vence, a very charming town in the hills; then we took another bus up to Vence which we enjoyed as well. You can also bus to the village of Eze, or to Monaco--all very easy to do by public transport.

I also prepared a notebook with CC suggestions, maps, restaurant recommendations, bus/train timetables etc. for each stop on our cruise--and ended up loaning it out a bunch to fellow cruisers who hadn't done as much homework. To me, the planning is easily 1/3 of the fun!

Cathy

This Best Western property is NOT near Las Ramblas. I have heard various things about Las Ramblas. It seems that some people like the convenience of being in the center of everything, and some people would rather be in more of a "neigborhood".

Basically, I have heard of Las Ramblas as being Times Square without the lights, and all the good and bad that goes with that.

Being from NY, you can keep that (LOL), and we'll go for the quiet residential neighborhood at one third the price.

Basically, I have heard of Las Ramblas as being Times Square without the lights, and all the good and bad that goes with that.

Being from NY, you can keep that (LOL), and we'll go for the quiet residential neighborhood at one third the price.

I'm with you (and from outside NY). We spent a week in Barcelona after our cruise last summer, and the charm of Las Ramblas was lost on me. Maybe walking through Times Square every single day to work wore down those particular nerve endings ...

Well I have been to both and I don't see the similiarities. Las Ramblas was really neat. Wide straight boulevard with trees and lights at night.... bars and restaurants with shops all along it. In the middle were mimes, flower stalls, entertainers of all types and more small vendor carts. At the one end is the marina and Columbus statue....... we enjoyed strolling it both during the day....and that evening when we out for dinner.

We stayed at Le Meridien and it was quiet, comfortable and right on Las Ramblas......

Now, Times Square was exciting but busier and not as much fun ;)

Well I have been to both and I don't see the similiarities. Las Ramblas was really neat. Wide straight boulevard with trees and lights at night.... bars and restaurants with shops all along it. In the middle were mimes, flower stalls, entertainers of all types and more small vendor carts. At the one end is the marina and Columbus statue....... we enjoyed strolling it both during the day....and that evening when we out for dinner.

I am with you on this one - don't get the Times Square connection either. We stayed at Jazz Hotel in Barcelona and loved it (about a 4 minute walk to Rambla and Plaza). When choosing my hotel in Barcelona I first read all the hotel threads on here and then went over to Trip Advisor. Oftentimes on that site, people tend to list their specific likes/dislikes about a hotel. That helps me determine if someone is just really high maintenance and extremely picky or if I begin to see something that may be a pattern and something that may be dealbreaker for me too.

I am with you on this one - don't get the Times Square connection either. We stayed at Jazz Hotel in Barcelona and loved it (about a 4 minute walk to Rambla and Plaza). When choosing my hotel in Barcelona I first read all the hotel threads on here and then went over to Trip Advisor. Oftentimes on that site, people tend to list their specific likes/dislikes about a hotel. That helps me determine if someone is just really high maintenance and extremely picky or if I begin to see something that may be a pattern and something that may be dealbreaker for me too.

OK.... so it's not just me :cool:

Definitely not. I love the leafy trees, the flower market area, the caged bird sellers (which were right below our hotel), etc. I have no use for Times Square (been there multiple times) but love rambling along Las Ramblas. Apples and Volkswagens, I'm afraid.

I stayed at the Majestic on our first trip and found it inconveniently located; stayed at Hotel 1898 on our second and thought everything about it was perfect, especially the location.

To each his own, as they say. . .

I guess the connection for me between Times Square and Las Ramblas are that they both hit me as places tourists are more interested in than locals, and where anyone selling anything hangs out; also the entertainment opportunities.

At any rate, I love Barcelona, but this particular area leaves me cold.

Archived