Pictures to CD?

dougt1957

Does anyone know if I will be able to transfer pictures from my digital camera onto a CD or DVD in the computer lab on Insignia. I can use a USB cable or SD card for transfer. Do their computers have an SD slot and a CD or DVD on them? I would like the ability to remove the pictures from my camera in case it gets lost or stolen.

Does anyone know if I will be able to transfer pictures from my digital camera onto a CD or DVD in the computer lab on Insignia. I can use a USB cable or SD card for transfer. Do their computers have an SD slot and a CD or DVD on them? I would like the ability to remove the pictures from my camera in case it gets lost or stolen.

The laptops in the Oceania@Sea computer room have CD drives and SD card readers available. You need to do it during the hours when the room is staffed so they can insert the drives for you. The computer network provides 2GB of online storage during your cruise (backed up daily) and the cost for each 700MB CD is $20.

(-: Jack

Is it possible to bring your own CDs? So they will not allow you to do this on your own? I may just buy a few 2GB sd cards and protect my pictures that way.

They are a profit center - charging for extra services is a way of doing business. And, they would be wary naturally of anyone using their system without supervision. You'd be better off if you took your own advice and purchased extra cards for your camera. That way you could put a day's shooting to one side and use a new card for the next day.

I understand your points about using their computers. I appreciate the prompt replies. I may end up taking a laptop with me. It will have software that will make it easier to download and save that came with my camera. Thanks again. We will be on Insignia on the May 24th sailing. Can't wait! It's our fist time to Europe and on Oceania.

You could try asking others on your cruise via rollcall. I am sure a number of people will be taking their laptops as a matter of course and would be happy to transfer the photos for you. I am taking mine in September and would not mind in the least

I understand your points about using their computers. I appreciate the prompt replies. I may end up taking a laptop with me. It will have software that will make it easier to download and save that came with my camera. Thanks again. We will be on Insignia on the May 24th sailing. Can't wait! It's our fist time to Europe and on Oceania.

I always take my laptop and download our pictures every night. I import them into my organizing software and label them within a day or two, so I don't come home with 2500 pictures and wonder what the heck they are... That's the only advantage of sea days!

Most laptop cords can run on 240V, so I just use a cheap adapter without a voltage transformer. There are also 120V plugs in the cabins as well, but if you have cameras and computers recharging all at once, you'll run out unless you can also use the European plugs.

Your itinerary looks great - enjoy O.

<P>

They are a profit center - charging for extra services is a way of doing business. And, they would be wary naturally of anyone using their system without supervision. You'd be better off if you took your own advice and purchased extra cards for your camera. That way you could put a day's shooting to one side and use a new card for the next day.
</P>

<P> </P>

While in Germany 2 years ago I shot 7 hours of video in 13 days. In addition there were a total of about 1,000 photos taken between DW and me.

For our upcoming cruise/land trip of 20 days I have purchased a FLIP Camcorder to use as well. On most stops I will be carrying a (mini cassette) video camera and a digital SLR. DW will carry her smaller camera and the Flip. In ports where there is a need to be a bit more mobile (primarily Athens and Istanbul) we will have the photo cameras and I will carry the FLIP. The FLIP capacity is about 8 gig.

I am planning to take lots of mini cassettes and the cameras hold at least 9,999 shots each. What I’m concerned with is the FLIP.

My plans were to down load the FLIP video files and photos onto a double layered DVD as often as necessary so to be safe I was going to take some blank DVDs with me to use on board.

Is that doable? Or does the computer lab have double layer DVD to purchase?

Or an even better question – is there a better way to save all of these massive amounts of files?

Okay techies that travel Oceania, time to show your stuff!

(PS: I am going to take a sabbatical from work after the trip to organize all of the media!)

Archived