Just off the Emerald Princess - Review Part One

addygirl216

THanks for all the good information. I too will be sailing on the Emerald on May 2nd. Are there hair dryers in the mini suites? Did you find the mattresses were really as 'hard" as people on the forum have been suggesting? We'll be on the Dolphin Deck, cabin 115. Did you experience a lot of noise or movement?

Thanks,

Okay - there IS a hairdryer, at least in the mini suites - but in MHO - they stink! LOL I have kinda frizzy hair when not properly treated, and found on our first cruise that the hair dryer that they provide just doesn't work with my hair - that being said - all those other people seem to use them with little complaint - so you'll have to decide if its worth it to take up the room with yours from home! :)

As far as the beds go - We were surprised that they weren't that bad after reading all the hype on here about double egg crates, etc. They are definitely what I'd call a 'firm' mattress, but we didn't find them uncomfortable at all - but we are just kinda go with the flow kinda people! (we did sorta giggle about the firm mattresses paired with the feather pillows made a funny combination!) :)

Nic

THanks for all the good information. I too will be sailing on the Emerald on May 2nd. Are there hair dryers in the mini suites? Did you find the mattresses were really as 'hard" as people on the forum have been suggesting? We'll be on the Dolphin Deck, cabin 115. Did you experience a lot of noise or movement?

Thanks,

OH - and our room was PERFECT! No noise anywhere - outside our door, from above or below! GREAT location - we were at the other end of the boat.....but about the same place, I'd think based on your room #. We felt some slight rocking, but nothing terrible - people say you don't feel anything - and well - I feel a little something - but it's nothing worth discussing - at least for me, it hasn't been on any of the cruises I've been on!

Have a great time!

Nic

Thanks so much for following up on my reply. I had to laugh a bit but I totally understand the "frizzy" hair thing. Mine's the same and very finicky about how I style it. I think I better bring my own "high powered" hairdryer. Can I ask you another question, when you get off the ship at each port, do you take towels from the ship for your activities? Let's say we just want to walk around the port and find a spot on the beach, can we take a ship towel?

Many thanks for your help and ideas.

And, yes, if you could confirm the two formal nights, our gang is going to Crown Grill one of the two formal nights and want to figure out which night would be better for us. ALSO, can you confirm which night you had the awesome sea bass? Your info is much appreciated.

We'd been to St Thomas before - love love love the shopping there, but since DH drop a jackload of money on a gold Rolex the last time we were there, I opted for an all day cruise to avoid him spending more than a used car of something stupid again! <LOL> We picked the Full Day Sail with lunch. This excursion might well be the highlight of our trip! I honestly did it to keep my husband out of the shops, and couldn't believe the day we had! We were on a catamaran - the Dancing Dolphin http://www.thedancingdolphin.com/index.html

I cant' say enough about this day - its an expensive excursion, but well worth the $$$!

Great review, addygirl!! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. We'll be on this sailing May 2, and I'm particularly interested in your review of the dancing dolphin catamaran excursion in St. Thomas. I posted this over in the ports of call board, but thought you'd be more likely to see it here... can you tell me how much this excursion cost per person? Unfortunately their website leaves out this pertinent detail. :D

I am going on my first cruise April 18th on Emerald Princess. My son is getting married on St Thomas. Wouldn't go on a cruise except for that. It will be an adventure I guess. I have gotten some ideas of how it will be. Thanks.

when you get off the ship at each port, do you take towels from the ship for your activities?

There will be blue and white striped towels in your cabin for use at the ship's pools and for when you go ashore. Just be sure to bring them back to the ship. Sometimes they will collect them when you reboard, sometimes you just leave them for your cabin steward.

Clean ones will replace any that you use.

Thanks so much for following up on my reply. I had to laugh a bit but I totally understand the "frizzy" hair thing. Mine's the same and very finicky about how I style it. I think I better bring my own "high powered" hairdryer. Can I ask you another question, when you get off the ship at each port, do you take towels from the ship for your activities? Let's say we just want to walk around the port and find a spot on the beach, can we take a ship towel?

Many thanks for your help and ideas.

Yes - you take your room towels - and when you get back on the boat they have a place for you to throw your 'used' towels - your room steward replenishes your room right away! :)

Great review, addygirl!! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. We'll be on this sailing May 2, and I'm particularly interested in your review of the dancing dolphin catamaran excursion in St. Thomas. I posted this over in the ports of call board, but thought you'd be more likely to see it here... can you tell me how much this excursion cost per person? Unfortunately their website leaves out this pertinent detail. :D

I think it was $199 per person and daughter was cheaper - I've been so busy this week haven't had time to scan patters and info for everyone, but tonite looks good - I'll check for you when I'm doing all that - I have the shore excursion papers, too! :)

Will you be posting the patters? I did email you but didn't get anything back. Thanks for taking the time to post your review it sounded great.

Dawn

YES! Tonite! I promise - my week has been nuts and I haven't gotten home until 10ish every night so far -but tonite looks good, so I should be able to respond to all emails and answer the questions I can't remember! :)

Smiles

Nic

Great review:D. We'll be sailing on the Emerald in October and I think I'l go crazy just waiting. This will be our second cruise on the Emerald and its one of our favourite ships. Who was the Maitre D'? Is Goodwin one of the head waiters?

We were on the same cruise, and had an excellent time! Yes, it is Mon. and Thur for the Formal nights. Also as Nicole mentioned, be sure to check out Evolution. We did not discover them until the last night and we were so disappointed we did not "find" them sooner.

I think it was $199 per person and daughter was cheaper - I've been so busy this week haven't had time to scan patters and info for everyone, but tonite looks good - I'll check for you when I'm doing all that - I have the shore excursion papers, too! :)

I was afraid of that... It's definitely more than we're looking to spend. Sounds great though. Thanks again for the info!!

Thanks for the detailed review! I'll be sailing the Emeral on April 11th and can't wait. Glad to hear you had such a good time and that staff seem to be friendly.

I agree with you on Grand Turk. I love going there. I went last year and it was my favorite port. Having been to all these ports before, its really the one I'm looking forward to this cruise the most.

Habs Fan -

We are sailing on 4/11, too. Please go over the the Roll Call postings and join us.

Here are the MUTS movies:

Day 1

Star Trek XI

Day 2

day:

Mamma Mia

Confessions of a shopaholic

cloudy with a chance of meatballs

christina aguilera concert

Night:

The Blind Side (3 times)

day 3

day:

alvin and the chipmunks

ghosts of girlfriends past

500 days of summer

stevie wonder concert

night:

Twilight: new moon

Surrogates

day 4

day:

love happens

the proposal

night:

christina aguilera concert

stevie wonder concert

beyonce

barry manilow

tina turner

U2

Cirque du soleil

day 5

day:

Julie and Julia

the invention of lying

tina turner

night:

the blind side

Teen guitar hero

day 6

day:

star trek XI

love happens

night:

Up in the air (3 times)

day 7

day:

julie and julia

star trek XI

christina aguilera

night:

NCAA basketball

Michael Jackson this is it

They also showed movies in the theatre and in the explorers lounge - I can post this if anyone wants those movies....

Thank you so much for taking the time to list the movies that are being shown on MUTS. We love laying on deck and watching the movies. It is like being at a drive in theater on water!!!!

Archived