Baby Beach....

uglybutgoodbakery

We are thinking of renting a car from Amigo Rentals and driving to Baby Beach for the day. Because we want a serene beach with no crowds, no hustle and bustle, it looks like Baby Beach might be the right choice for this.

Does Amigo meet you at the port for the transaction?

How long does the process take? (don't want to waste precious time on renting the car if it takes away from our beach time :-D

How long of a drive is it to Baby Beach? Is it worth spending the time (and extra $) in the car vs. just going to one of the closer beaches and just hopping on a bus?

Amigo has always delivered our vehicle to us and then driven us back to their office to process the paperwork. Figure maybe a hour half from the time of pickup at the cruise terminal until you are ready to leave Amigo's office to head to Baby Beach.

I would plan on a half hour to get to Baby Beach only because it is only a two lane road. Lots of traffic getting through downtown and past the airport.

Is it worth spending the time (and extra $) in the car vs. just going to one of the closer beaches and just hopping on a bus?

That is really up to you. Eagle Beach is an easy bus ride and if you are just looking to plop your beach towel down on the sand, sun and swim, there is tons of space for serenity.

If you are looking for chaise rentals, shade, food and beverage, your only choice on Eagle Beach is the Amsterdam Manor. They will only rent though, based upon their occupancy.

That's not too bad, an hour spent to get to a beautiful beach sounds good to me, then we can do a little exploring too, right? I didn't really think about a lack of a chair, which is OK. Are there options at Baby Beach for rentals?

I've been wanting to go to Aruba for years. (and Anguilla is still at the top of my bucket list)

We used to do a different island every year, and Aruba was always on the scope. But, then we had kids and had to change gears for about 20 years

What we've been doing instead is 2 weeks a year on the Gulf Coast, the panhandle in Florida, which is as beautiful as any caribbean island we've ever been to.

Then, for our 20th anniv. we went on our first cruise and enjoyed it. I still prefer a nice long stay on one island to really explore, but cruising is so economical, and it's nice to sample an island here and there. I'd like to get a nice sample, not a stop at the cruise terminal and buy a straw hat kind of sample ;) so --

Baby beach it is! Thanks Lisa :)

There are a few free shade palapas but if they are taken you can rent a canvas shade as well as chaise lounges. There is also a refreshment stand but no restroom.

Anguilla is still at the top of my list as well. ;)

Baby beach isnt a quiet beach (when I was there at least) .. It isnt that big either.. IMO I would go to eagle beach for a quiet beach day.. maybe around Amsterdam manor.. They have a bar and you can order food there too which is nice..

• 2 weeks later...
Baby beach isnt a quiet beach (when I was there at least) .. It isnt that big either.. IMO I would go to eagle beach for a quiet beach day.. maybe around Amsterdam manor.. They have a bar and you can order food there too which is nice..

I think that might be just what we end up doing, because every minute on the island is precious and I just don't know if I want to spend any of our minutes in a rental car :confused:

Years ago when we stayed on the island, we drove down to Baby Beach and it took us some time trying to find the right way to turn. There are no signs directing you to the beach. Not like in the states. If you plan on going down to the beach, give yourself some time in case you get lost. We found the snorkeling on Baby Beach great. It is more of an area for locals but it was not that crowed the two times we went. I believe you could rent a lounge chair for $10 but that was in 2004. Not sure what they cost today.

Hello!

Does anyone know if we will need water shoes at Baby Beach? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gretta

Snorkeling isn't my thing ~ it's okay and I've done it ~ but not my main goal is to find a perfect beach to lie on that has really calm water and hardly anybody else floating in it with me. ;)

Yes, I'd wear water shoes. When we were there the beach was pretty quite. There was a swimming class for elementary students. Other than that maybe 15 people at the beach (we got there around 11 am). The water is very calm. If you want good snorkling you will need to swim out a bit but probably worth it.

Overall a very nice beach that I'd go back to (and I'm not a beach person).

We were at Baby Beach last week. It was nice except for the oil refinery factory (I think that is what is was) in the background. Ruined the entire viewing area for us. We didn't need water shoes. The water was crystal clear. Snorkeling was just ok. Aruba was not my favorite stop on this cruise.

We also visited Baby Beach, this was not anything special or even that pretty-the views were a turn off. I thought Aruba looked like NV or AZ, not a tropical island but more of a desert. We still had a great time though.

We also visited Baby Beach, this was not anything special or even that pretty-the views were a turn off. I thought Aruba looked like NV or AZ, not a tropical island but more of a desert. We still had a great time though.

I agree!

• 3 weeks later...
There are a few free shade palapas but if they are taken you can rent a canvas shade as well as chaise lounges. There is also a refreshment stand but no restroom.

Anguilla is still at the top of my list as well. ;)

We just came back, they have a restroom, it's 50 cents.:D

We just returned from a cruise that took us to Aruba in April. We went to Baby Beach. It was pleasant -- pretty good snorkeling from the shore; not brilliant, but a good taste for you. LOTS OF SEAGULLS, and tourists love to feed them. No need for water shoes; the beaches were sandy.

You can rent clamshells, umbrellas or beach chairs, and there is a shack (with some shade for customers) for buying burgers etc. and beer and soft drinks.

It is an oil refinery in the background, though our driver told us it was not an active refinery.

It was a nice stop, but it is far away from the action. I liked it, even though we all ended up with wicked sunburns. I wouldn't go back again, but I'm glad we stopped there.

• 1 month later...
I think that might be just what we end up doing, because every minute on the island is precious and I just don't know if I want to spend any of our minutes in a rental car :confused:

You do not need reef shoes for Baby Beach. When you swim out over the rocks, it can get a little rough. What we did was take a taxi to BB, and then pre-arranged a time for them to take us back. They were honest, and came when they were s'posed to. There's a little snack bar there, not much else, I don't remember if there are chairs to rent--my guess is NO---it's quite bare. I'd take a taxi--there's traffic on the way back into town--.

Archived