currence exchange on board

maxmia

Please can anyone tell me if HAL charges a commission for exchanging foreign currency on board, or should we do the exchange in a bank in Vancouver beforehand? We have $US AND $CD already, plus credit cards, but its a " just in case scenario" Thanks for any info.:confused:

Please can anyone tell me if HAL charges a commission for exchanging foreign currency on board, or should we do the exchange in a bank in Vancouver beforehand? We have $US AND $CD already, plus credit cards, but its a " just in case scenario" Thanks for any info.:confused:

They will be only too happy to do it on board....

BUT

watch out for the exchange rate they use.

It will be heavily weighted in their favour.

HAL's exchange rate will be not as good as what you would get in a bank in Vancouver. HAL's charge seems to run between 5 - 10%. The front desk will deny they charge anything above the official rate as sent that day from Seattle...but with respect, the commission is built in to the daily numbers.

However, I wouldn't rush to exchange more money just because of that.

If you exchange in a Canadian bank, you will lose about 3% on your AU$. If you exchange BACK after the cruise, you'll lose another 3%. (They do get you both coming and going.)

So, if you would only need the extra cash in an emergency, you might have to exchange money and pay that commission twice, to no purpose.

Your credit card will serve in most emergencies. Can't you just get a cash advance on it, and let your home bank in Australia charge their regular rate?

PS - Kiwi posted while I was still typing.

Archived