National Express Heathrow Timing.

RSVE821

I'm scheduled to arrive Heathrow from the US on June 23 at terminal 4 at 6:45am. There is a coach going to Southampton at 8:00 and the next one at 9:30. Do you think the 8:00 is safe to make a reservation for?

The National Express website mentions that they use stops 13 & 14 outside arrivals at terminal 4. They go on to say they use stop 7 for free transfer to the central coach station. I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that one had to go to the station to catch all coaches. Are stops 13 & 14 perhaps drop off points for departing passengers?

I think the 8am would be pushing it. You could be delayed etc. Much safer (and less stress) to get the 9.30 even if you have to hang about a bit. When you book, put in HEATHROW as your departure (ignore all the terminal selections). This will take you from the Central Bus Station which is located at T1,2&3. You can get the Heathrow Connect train for free to transfer from T4 to T1,2&3. It is then an easy well signed walk (about 5 mins) to the Central Bus Station. 2 and a bit hrs to Southampton. Cab from there to any cruise terminal should be no more than £10. If going to City cruise terminal (RCI, Celeb, NCL) it is just about walkable if its a nice day.

Simon

I'm scheduled to arrive Heathrow from the US on June 23 at terminal 4 at 6:45am. There is a coach going to Southampton at 8:00 and the next one at 9:30. Do you think the 8:00 is safe to make a reservation for?

The National Express website mentions that they use stops 13 & 14 outside arrivals at terminal 4. They go on to say they use stop 7 for free transfer to the central coach station. I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that one had to go to the station to catch all coaches. Are stops 13 & 14 perhaps drop off points for departing passengers?

Not all of Nat Express's services run via T4 or T5. For those services folk need the free shuttle from bus-stop 7 to the central bus station (effectively T's 1, 2 & 3)

But most of the Southampton departures - including the two that you're considering - do call at T4 then T5, and depart from T4 (bus stop 13/14) fifteen mins after leaving the central bus station, ie at 08.15 & 09.45

Most flights from the US arrive on-time or early (jetstream tail-wind), and at that time of the morning formalities should be completed within an hour of the aircraft doors opening. This theoretically gives you 30 mins to exit the terminal & get to bus-stop 13/14, last stop in the outer bus lane, over to your left. So you'll be twiddling your thumbs at the bus stop for 28 minutes.;)

Which is fine in theory, glad its your decision & not mine :D

Nat Express website isn't clever http://www.nationalexpress.com/Airport/index.cfm

Enter "from" Heathrow T4

Enter "to" Southampton (ignore options such as cruise ship terminal, the destination doesn't exist)

Enter your date (calendar avoids the transatlantic differences in month/day or day/month)

Click fares & times.

You'll see the options for the day, & note the departures from T4 15 mins later than the central bus station departures you quoted. Here's the direct link:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm?id=222360696

If their promotional fare is still £1, why not make it £2 by booking both departure times? :)

As Simon's post, cab from the coach station to any cruise terminal £5 to £8, though if you're on the early coach there's a couple of fast-food outlets near the coach station, lucky if you'll get even a coffee at any cruise terminal - before 11am you'll probably be too early to board.

John Bull

If their promotional fare is still £1, why not make it £2 by booking both departure times? :)

John Bull

Does National Express have promotional fares from Heathrow to Southampton, and if so, when do these usually run? Thanks.

Not all of Nat Express's services run via T4 or T5. For those services folk need the free shuttle from bus-stop 7 to the central bus station (effectively T's 1, 2 & 3)

But most of the Southampton departures - including the two that you're considering - do call at T4 then T5, and depart from T4 (bus stop 13/14) fifteen mins after leaving the central bus station, ie at 08.15 & 09.45

Most flights from the US arrive on-time or early (jetstream tail-wind), and at that time of the morning formalities should be completed within an hour of the aircraft doors opening. This theoretically gives you 30 mins to exit the terminal & get to bus-stop 13/14, last stop in the outer bus lane, over to your left. So you'll be twiddling your thumbs at the bus stop for 28 minutes.;)

Which is fine in theory, glad its your decision & not mine :D

Nat Express website isn't clever http://www.nationalexpress.com/Airport/index.cfm

Enter "from" Heathrow T4

Enter "to" Southampton (ignore options such as cruise ship terminal, the destination doesn't exist)

Enter your date (calendar avoids the transatlantic differences in month/day or day/month)

Click fares & times.

You'll see the options for the day, & note the departures from T4 15 mins later than the central bus station departures you quoted. Here's the direct link:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm?id=222360696

As Simon's post, cab from the coach station to any cruise terminal £5 to £8, though if you're on the early coach there's a couple of fast-food outlets near the coach station, lucky if you'll get even a coffee at any cruise terminal - before 11am you'll probably be too early to board.

John Bull

I couldn't get in to NE's site last night to check JB, so thought I'd go for the 'safe' option!

Does National Express have promotional fares from Heathrow to Southampton, and if so, when do these usually run? Thanks.

Not as common as London Victoria - Southampton, but they do appear. Unfortunately there are no 'rules' on when they appear...they seem to do it when they like right up until a couple of days before the coach leaves. The only way round it is to keep checking the site.

Simon

Hi, 80days - their £1 promo mainly in response to a rival service set up by new-boy-on-the-block Greyhound (don't think it's anything to do with the US greyhounds)

They're still advertising it, but I had the much the same problems as Simon in accessing their site. After my post I managed to get into the booking stage & they were quoting just over £30 for your date so I guess the promo price is now only on selected competetive routes - and Greyhound don't offer a service from Heathrow.

Hi Simon - see above, yep the site is a pig, in the past I've had to access it the same way as you

JB

Thanks everyone for the info. One possible wrench in the gear is that we will be flying space available on airline employee passes and may not get on an intended flight and have to try for the next. If we miss a reserved bus, I'm assuming we would have to go to the central station and try to exchange the tickets for the next available? Do they have a counter there to do such a thing?

We are coming in the day before the cruise to allow for the above. If all goes well, our plan is to walk to the Ibis Hotel from the station and drop our bags and then head to the train station for a quick trip to Salisbury and the Hoppa bus to Stonehenge (a great recommendation from you local folks here on CC). This all pending on if we don't feel like death warmed over after probably not sleeping much on the flight over. Early to bed that evening and up early the next morning to buy supplies for the cruise and hopefully a quick trip to the Maritime museum as we'd like to see the Titanic exhibit. Probably a crazy thing to do considering we are doing a crossing to New York that day as the Titanic did!!!!

Thanks everyone for the info. One possible wrench in the gear is that we will be flying space available on airline employee passes and may not get on an intended flight and have to try for the next. If we miss a reserved bus, I'm assuming we would have to go to the central station and try to exchange the tickets for the next available? Do they have a counter there to do such a thing?

We are coming in the day before the cruise to allow for the above. If all goes well, our plan is to walk to the Ibis Hotel from the station and drop our bags and then head to the train station for a quick trip to Salisbury and the Hoppa bus to Stonehenge (a great recommendation from you local folks here on CC). This all pending on if we don't feel like death warmed over after probably not sleeping much on the flight over. Early to bed that evening and up early the next morning to buy supplies for the cruise and hopefully a quick trip to the Maritime museum as we'd like to see the Titanic exhibit. Probably a crazy thing to do considering we are doing a crossing to New York that day as the Titanic did!!!!

Sorry, have to pass on Nat Express re-ticketing.

Ibis is across a carpark from coach station, & across a road from the rail station, good location for your needs. Even walkable with wheeled luggage to City cruise terminal, but not the other three. And mebbe a ten minute walk (if you can get OH past the entrance to the shopping mall ;)) to the rather small Maritime museum, located in the historic Wool House on the corner of Bugle Street, opposite the entrance to Isle of Wight ferry pier. The restored Tudor Merchant's house, God's Tower and Roman remains in the area too.

Stonehenge ho-ho bus runs from Salisbury rail station, again ideal for you.

Re your last sentance, best sleep with your lifejacket on, don't want to tempt providence :D

JB

If we miss a reserved bus, I'm assuming we would have to go to the central station and try to exchange the tickets for the next available? Do they have a counter there to do such a thing?
Yes, there is a National Express ticket office at the central bus station. National Express' policy is summarised on its website like this:-
Additional Information:

When selecting your coach time, please allow additional time to provide for any delays that may be incurred on your journey. If you experience delays of up to 24 hours and miss your scheduled departure time, your ticket can be amended to allow you to travel on the next available coach.

Archived