London Airports...help

jax

what is the situation now in Heathrow and Gatwick as far as an immigrant from America flying in and out ? Cunard is offering such marvelous sales on the Med (QV) this summer.... But I haven't done those airport madhouses for several years now. Does this old body and mind have the constitutional fortitude to do it once again?

Jessie, As you know, I fly into London often. The airports there are pretty much the same as they are here, busy, Heathrow and Gatwick no exception. The secret to surviving is to give your self plenty of time and move at your own pace. Having said that I found that there is such a thing as too early with the European and UK air lines. They won't let you check in until 2 hours before your flight.

Once your checked in go through security and to the waiting areas which are filled with lots of stores. Keep and eye on your departure board for your gate, and go to it as soon as it says open. If you flying intra europe, you may have to check a roll aboard, as they have small overhead bins.

If your arriving, take your time, and don't be shy about asking for mobility help from the airline if you need it. Otherwise, just take your time don't let the crowd push you along. there are bag carts free for you bags when you collect them from the baggage hall. There are long walks at both Heathrow and Gatwick. By the way more flights go into Heathrow these days, American, Continental, United and Delta have all moved their London flights to Heathrow.

By the way are a lot of us carriers who fly to a number of European cities, so the fastest way there or back might be direct. But you asked about London.

Customs, is a breeze, walk through the "nothing to declare' aisle and your set. You can have Cunard meet you at the airports if you fly in the day of the cruise. If your comming early there are choices of where to stay. either London or Southampton.

I think you will have a great time in the Mediterrean. I am already thinking of a crossing from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale on QV in November, 2011.

Best Mike.

(As you may know this thread is being monitored, so my post may end up after others that have given you the same info. Apologies if that happens)

what is the situation now in Heathrow and Gatwick as far as an immigrant from America flying in and out ? Cunard is offering such marvelous sales on the Med (QV) this summer.... But I haven't done those airport madhouses for several years now. Does this old body and mind have the constitutional fortitude to do it once again?

Hi Jessie,

Mike has given you some excellent detailed information. I think you would really enjoy the Med and I'm positive you can handle the airport! Book it!

Beth

The last time I used Heathrow, I flew out of and back into Terminal 5 with BA. I have to say, it was a pleasant surprise........ (some flights still go from T3). I was sceptical about T5, BUT it really does work.

If you fly with BA, you can usually check in 24 hrs before departure and select your seat, although I think they now charge for "chosen" seats. (Would a more recent passenger with BA confirm this please?)

Once at the airport, just go to the "fast-bag drop" and your through security straight after. There was a slight queue, even for "fast track", but it was smooth and moved reasonably quickly. On my visit, the security staff were very pleasant. T5 is like "night and day compared with T1/3 &4.

To my embarrassment, I'm an extremely nervous flyer and as long as you tell them at the counter of any concerns/needs they will look after you. BA has taken many knocks recently, but based on my experiences, I have nothing but good words to say about the staff, both on the ground and in the air. Just tell them as early as possible if you have any mobility issues.

On the return, our bags were there by the time we had cleared immigration etc and it was straight through the "Green channel" where I was picked up by the driver. No delays and no mad-house. (Of course, there were no strikes when I flew!)

If you are travelling onwards by tube/Heathrow Express/Connect, it's well signed has easy no-step access.

I haven't flown out of the other Terminals at LHR for a while, but I have heard they are awful, in which case I would heed the above advice.

Mind you, if money is no object and you can fly from JFK, try the London City Airport flight. It's guaranteed no hassel!

As the lady above says, "book it".......!

I hope this helps.

I think continental from from newark into bristol,a good idea to avoid the heathrow madness, the long walk after a long flight and the lines at immigration.

if your flying to a european destination you can fly from bristol as well or if southampton , it is not that far.

I can't speak as an American, but surely the way to do it is to fly direct to Barcelona, Venice or Rome to embark?

You may not be able to fly British Airways, but then is that a disadvantage? Alitalia will do Rome and Venice, together with, I presume, other US carriers.

Or why not be really adventurous, fly to Paris and use the train from Paris Bercy?

Archived