Intercontinental Hotel Miami

AJPitches

Has anyone stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami pre or post cruise, if so, would you love to hear any experiences? I am looking for a hotel close to POM that is close to restaurants and the port. Thanks in advance for any info!

Has anyone stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami pre or post cruise, if so, would you love to hear any experiences? I am looking for a hotel close to POM that is close to restaurants and the port. Thanks in advance for any info!

Hello Morris - New Lenox Here,

Yes, we stayed in that hotel pre-cruise a few years ago. It was a great property. Not far from the port at all and just a short walk from Bayside. We are sailing from Miami again in October and I am hoping to book the place for our pre-cruise again.

Feel free to ask any specifics.

Hey Stones! Thanks for the inuput, lovely weather we are having isn't it? Hopefully it will last! I have heard that people weren't real thrilled with the hotel because of the amount of money they spent. I have looked at different sites for a deal and I think that I found a good deal, about half-price for our September cruise. I am just looking for a place that has somewhere to get some water and maybe some other drinks before the cruise as well as the restaurants, which Bayside should fulfill the restaurant need.

Thanks again!

Hey Stones! Thanks for the inuput, lovely weather we are having isn't it? Hopefully it will last! I have heard that people weren't real thrilled with the hotel because of the amount of money they spent. I have looked at different sites for a deal and I think that I found a good deal, about half-price for our September cruise. I am just looking for a place that has somewhere to get some water and maybe some other drinks before the cruise as well as the restaurants, which Bayside should fulfill the restaurant need.

Thanks again!

Yes, it is very nice out. I think we were due :) BTW, my sister and her family live in Morris just off of Rt. 6.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. You are a short walk from downtown where they have stores like a Walgreens where you can stock up. Bayside definitely has restaurants including a Hard Rock Cafe which is pretty cool. We also ate at Gloria Estaban's restaurant which was (is?) located in the American Airlines center where the Miami Heat play basketball. It's been a while since we were there but I remember a lot of stores (including a Walgreens) nearby.

Like I said, were going again in October and that is my first choice for pre-cruise.

Thanks guys! John, how was the Holiday Inn? I have heard some good things but the price is a higher than the Intercontinental (found a price on a discount website, Intercontinental for $84/night.)

Stones, what a coincidence I do to, I live behind the BP (well kind of anyways.) Thanks again for the input!

If the price for the Int'l is less, it's a no brainer.

The HI is overpriced for what they are, a Holiday Inn. We've stayed there, but would never pay over $100.

The Int'l is a much nicer property.

I booked the Intercontinental for my stay in December through last minute travel dot com. Got a great price of $95 instead of the $300+ price the website wanted. We are very happy as the place gets great reviews on trip advisor. I would suggest you go there or easyclicktravel which lists the hotel names to book your hotel.

Thanks guys...didn't know if I could list the website name on here. I saw the $95 for September and it is still cheaper than the HI from lastminute. I just thought maybe it was too good to be true. Hopefully that deal last a little longer until I can finalize my flights.

I just booked with that same discount "travel" site. I will be staying in early July. If your stay is after I can let you know how it was. Thanks Jose

Slightly off topic .. sorry. Have you been able to confirm your reservation directly with the hotel yet?? L.M.T. has confirmed my Oct. reservation at the Intrcontinental, but it notes it may not show on the hotel site until closer to that time. At this point it does not. I've never used this travel broker before so I'm slightly nervous about this arrangement. Call me overly cautious but I'm keeping my reservations at another hotel that can be canceled up to 6 pm on my day of arrival .. just in case.

Pre-cruise October 23, 2009. Won it on lastminutetravel for $89. The clerk at the front desk asked if we wanted an upgrade on arrival to a deluxe port view room for $20 and we agreed, but she never ended up charging us anyways. But it would have been definitely worth it, especially to wake up in the am and see your ship in port. It’s a beautiful place, and there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. All the porters, etc. were great.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how that website works in conjunction with the hotel. I am sure that they just give you the least expensive room when the time comes, unless offered or you request an upgrade? Did you call the hotel to confirm the reservation after booking on LMT?

Hi. We have stayed here twice before and will be staying here again in September. We stayed at the Holiday Inn one time - never again, no comparison. Just wondering, what do I look for on last minute travel to book it? Thanks. Wanda

Hi. We have stayed here twice before and will be staying here again in September. We stayed at the Holiday Inn one time - never again, no comparison. Just wondering, what do I look for on last minute travel to book it? Thanks. Wanda

You have to select the Miami-Downtown Area box....it is listed as a 5 Star for $84. When you click on it, it takes you to the details...scroll down and make sure that it states 66,000 sq. feet of meeting space or convention space. Unless I am mistaked, that is the only Miami Hotel with that much space. Also, if you compare the description to that of the IC website, they are pretty similar.

You have to select the Miami-Downtown Area box....it is listed as a 5 Star for $84. When you click on it, it takes you to the details...scroll down and make sure that it states 66,000 sq. feet of meeting space or convention space. Unless I am mistaked, that is the only Miami Hotel with that much space. Also, if you compare the description to that of the IC website, they are pretty similar.

Thank you so much! Do you know if you cancel the reservation before arrival like you can with Easy Click Travel without penalty?

Thank you so much! Do you know if you cancel the reservation before arrival like you can with Easy Click Travel without penalty?

Here is what it says under pricing details. I take it that no matter when you book there is always that $25 cancellation fee:

Cancellation Policy

Please note you are within cancellation penalty of
25 USD fee

Hotel cancellations or changes made 7 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to
1 night/s fee

Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to a
full fare fee

No-show is subjected to a
full fare fee

I booked the Intercontinental for my stay in December through last minute travel dot com. Got a great price of $95 instead of the $300+ price the website wanted. We are very happy as the place gets great reviews on trip advisor. I would suggest you go there or easyclicktravel which lists the hotel names to book your hotel.

We had booked the Intercontinental through easy click travel 2 times thanks to C.C. boards. I tried going there again for our upcoming cruise, but I couldn't find it. It also looks like they've changed their website since I last booked through them. I didn't see any of the "Off the Record" hotels listed.

I came here & found this topic. I had never been to the last minute travel website before. I did find the Intercontinental by going between the description of their website, & the one on last minute travel like AJPitches did.

I tried to register so I could book it. I tried using one of my Emails, but it said I was already registered with that Email. I had never registered on that site before. I sent last minute travel an Email asking if they had a record of me being registered there. They wrote back asking if I had registered at easy click travel. They said they have a variety of websites & if I had registered at one of them, I would not be able to use the same Email on last minute travel. I would have to use another Email to register.

I do have 2 Emails so I used the other one to register. Then I booked the Intercontinental for $97 including taxes.

It would have been a good idea if they would have given the same information that they Emailed me on their website. I would think others may have had the same problem I did or they will in the future. Thought I'd let you know in case any one else has the same problem I did.

I wonder what their other websites they have. If I would want to book through any of their other ones, I would have to open a new Email.

Gail

OK, I just checked LMT and clicked Miami Downtown Area and looked at the description of the first hotel that came up. It definitely says 66,000+ sf of event space and is a 5 star accomodation.

So, do you all think that this is the Intercontinental? Price for 2A, 1C is $117.57/night. I'm trying to decide between doing something like this and booking something like Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (yes, I know it's not in the same class, but we're arriving around 3:30 PM and leaving the next morning on our cruise). With HIBL, we can get a shuttle from the airport and breakfast is included. And the price is in the same ballpark.

We'll need 2 rooms (1 for me, dh and younger son, another for my mom and older son) so I have to do 2 bookings.

Anyone with any thoughts? Like anyone, a lovely hotel is great, but if I have to pay more to get to the hotel and then again for breakfast the next morning, maybe it's not worth it. I know that we'll need to walk somewhere for dinner, so being near restaurants is important, and don't want to be too far from the port the next morning, to minimize the cab fare.

ETA: Just ran the search again with 1A, 1C for my mom's room and it came up at $84 (and again, with that 66,000 sf of event space so the same hotel). With these numbers, both rooms are cheaper than HIBL, but again, need to get there from airport, then to port and pay for breakfast the next day.

So many choices....

Any info offered is appreciated.

I would definitely stay at the Intercontinental again. Beautiful hotel directly on Biscayne Bay. Roof top deck an patio area overlooking the water. Short walk along the Bay to Bayside for shopping and dining. When we woke up the morning of our cruise we could see the Freedom of the Seas waiting for us.:)

Just adding my .02 cents. We stayed at the Intercontinental in January 09 and have reservations for Nov. 2010 also through Last Minute Travel. It is a very nice hotel and while we were only in the lobby of the Holiday Inn, would say there was a BIG difference between the two. Also different posters have also stated their views on both properties, always choosing the Intercontinential over the Holiday Inn. Last Minute Travel indicates this property as a 5*, 34 floors, $34 a day parking, 66,000 square feet of event space etc. There is also a "bird's eye" view section about half way down the page on LMT and if you click on that you can see the top of the Intercontinental hotel. In researching a hotel that would provide you with a "free breakfast" I believe that the Hyatt in Miami is one that provides that at a price of a little higer than the IC and is listed as a 4* hotel on LMT. Do a little research first to confirm this if you really want breakfast included. But I don't think the Hyatt is as conveniently located as the IC. Maybe others can post info on that.

OK, I just checked LMT and clicked Miami Downtown Area and looked at the description of the first hotel that came up. It definitely says 66,000+ sf of event space and is a 5 star accomodation.

So, do you all think that this is the Intercontinental? Price for 2A, 1C is $117.57/night. I'm trying to decide between doing something like this and booking something like Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (yes, I know it's not in the same class, but we're arriving around 3:30 PM and leaving the next morning on our cruise). With HIBL, we can get a shuttle from the airport and breakfast is included. And the price is in the same ballpark.

We'll need 2 rooms (1 for me, dh and younger son, another for my mom and older son) so I have to do 2 bookings.

Anyone with any thoughts? Like anyone, a lovely hotel is great, but if I have to pay more to get to the hotel and then again for breakfast the next morning, maybe it's not worth it. I know that we'll need to walk somewhere for dinner, so being near restaurants is important, and don't want to be too far from the port the next morning, to minimize the cab fare.

ETA: Just ran the search again with 1A, 1C for my mom's room and it came up at $84 (and again, with that 66,000 sf of event space so the same hotel). With these numbers, both rooms are cheaper than HIBL, but again, need to get there from airport, then to port and pay for breakfast the next day.

So many choices....

Any info offered is appreciated.

We have only stayed at the Holiday Inn & Intercontinental so I can't help with any other hotels. If you do stay at the Intercontinental & want a view of the port & ships, you will pay $20 extra for the view. It is well worth it. We have never eaten breakfast there. We thought the prices were pretty high. They do have a Starbuck's. They have a nice pool area with a bar where you can also eat lunch. Don't think you can have breakfast there.

The hotel room is very nice.

Gail

We're not considering the Holiday Inn. We are considering the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon, which is closer to the airport. I have heard mixed things about the Holiday Inn and feel there are better properties for less money.

Just wasn't sure what to do. I'll discuss it with my mom and see what she thinks.

Just booked the Intercontinental in Chopin Plaza for Nov pre cruise for $84 at LastMinuteTravel.com. Got this tip from another cruisecritic member.:):):) Can't find original post, but here's a big thankyou.

Archived