Port Everglades to Sawgrass Mills on your own?

Appreciate any feedback on the following...

Has anyone ever done Sawgrass Mills from Port Everglades on their own? and then return back to port to board the ship

Our flight comes in around 11am and ship leaves at 10:30pm. Figured we could taxi from airport to port, drop off the luggage, then taxi over to Sawgrass and back in plenty of time.

But I have no idea of costs and taxi travel time to/from Sawgrass? (is $35 & 30 mins each way reasonable?)

Is it hard to find taxi back from Sawgrass?

wife wants mega shopping for the day. is this a worthwhile choice based on transportation cost and where we're starting from (port everglades)

or is there a markedly better choice closer?

thanks ahead of time.

I can tell you that SawGrass Mills is a long way west of Port Everglades. It is out near 1-75 and beside the Bank America arena where the Florida Panthers ice hockey team plays. Plus the mall is huge, so you will need lots of time to see all the stores. Then you have to make your way back. I don't know how easy it would be to get a taxi back to the port either.

You take I-595 West to NW 124th Avenue heading north until you reach Sunrise Blvd. You cannot miss the mall. I looked this up on MapQuest because we always come from the north, not the east, to get to Bank America Arena.

MapQuest says it is 16 miles and will take about twenty minutes from the port to the mall. I feel that is an optimistic estimate. Traffic can be challenging at times.

We did something similar post-cruise. Got a 1 day rental car from FLL for $28 on Priceline ($35 with taxes) and drove to Sawgrass Mall. I set the trip setter in the car and I believe it was 18 miles from the airport to the mall. There was no traffic and it took us less than 25 mins each way. It's very easy to get to with the freeway and then the road the mall is on. Obviously there's plenty of taxis at the airport but I didn't see any at the mall. There were plenty of tourist type buses though. I would think you could call a taxi if you wanted. Since you're already starting at the airport, it would be pretty easy to get a rental then take the free shuttle from the airport to the port and save some money. On a side note, taxi was $10 from port to the airport and took less than 10 mins. I think your taxi prices and times sound right. The mall was a cool place to hang out and they have just about everything.

Appreciate any feedback on the following...

Has anyone ever done Sawgrass Mills from Port Everglades on their own? and then return back to port to board the ship

Our flight comes in around 11am and ship leaves at 10:30pm. Figured we could taxi from airport to port, drop off the luggage, then taxi over to Sawgrass and back in plenty of time.

But I have no idea of costs and taxi travel time to/from Sawgrass? (is $35 & 30 mins each way reasonable?)

Is it hard to find taxi back from Sawgrass?

wife wants mega shopping for the day. is this a worthwhile choice based on transportation cost and where we're starting from (port everglades)

or is there a markedly better choice closer?

thanks ahead of time.

A taxi from Port Everglades to Sawgrass Mills Mall would be $50 each way easily (if not more). Travel time to Sawgrass from the port is probably 35 to 40 min each way if the traffic is good.......but if it's not........There should be taxis hanging out at Sawgrass(usually near the foodcourt entrances), but if there aren't any you can call for one. If it were me, I'd go to the Galleria Mall in Ft. Lauderdale. It's much closer. It's not an outlet mall (but it's VERY nice). I've gotten great deals at Macy's there. Nice places to eat, too. Depends on what your wife is shopping for. Sawgrass is doable, though. If you intend to go, I'd make darn sure you get back to the port WELL BEFORE 10:30. Just curious: What ship departs Port Everglades at 10:30PM?

IMO the 'deals' at sawgrass mills are not always good enough to warrant that trip.

The place is HUGE...deals are hit and miss...and the 2 times i've been there recently it took darned near an hour....

I agree with the other person, try the galleria...you can get better deals at places like macys, it's closer and frankly even if the deals aren't that great, the quality may well be better, plus you will have saved some cab fare, not to mention your time!

Macys

Nieman Marcus

Dillards....

works for me! (plus there are several places where you could "REST" while the wife enjoys some shopping therapy!)

http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/index.php

Archived