Bus from port to Rome

sheilacat

I am on Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean cruise Aug 31 and want to know when the first bus from the port leaves for Rome, where in Rome is the drop-off and when does the last bus leave to come back to the port ?

Isn't the time on your shore excursions? It is a long way to Rome, so I'd guess buses for Rome on your own would all leave at the same time in the first part of the morning and would return at the same time. IMO you would be better off choosing one of the regular ship excursions for this port.

We have traveled to Rome many times through the years.

The last time we visited, we were on a HAL ship (maybe Rotterdam ?) and were traveling with two other couples.

We all signed up for the bus transfer to Rome and back to Civitevecchia and it was a wise choice.

We would have needed two taxis and one couple would be split up but more importantly we had the peace of mind knowing we were on a ship's excursion and didn't worry about being late back to the ship.

It's a fair distance from port to Rome and traffic conditions can vary.

I don't remember the exact drop off (meet) location but it was central and a well considered choice of location. It was very easy for us to get to St. Peter's, Vatican, Piazza Navona, Trevi, Spanish Steps, Lunch, Shopping and back to the 'meeting place'. We were able to squeeze so much into our day. (It was the first time the others had been to Rome so DH and I spent a lot of time planning the day in advance to make the best use of the time.) We were very much better off seeing the city on our own, at our own pace. We got to see exactly what we wanted for as long as we wanted without waiting for others or spending longer than we wished at one place or another.

I strongly recommend the bus transfer.

I know everyone is different and some need the peace of mind that they are on a ship's shore excursion and if anything goes wrong, the ship will wait.

However, we walked to the train station in Civitavecchia and took the train both ways, which also let us use the buses in Rome with the same ticket. We took the 4 pm train back (ship sailed at 8pm) and were back in plenty of time.

I am not telling you to do that if you are not comfortable with it. To each his own. However the ship transfer was about $100 each and we did the train for 9 Euros ($15) each and it worked out very well.

That being said, there is the possibility of strikes in Italy. My husband and I decided that if this did happen, we had enough money with us to take a taxi back to the port.

We had a wonderful day in Rome. The trains did not strike and we were back in plenty of time.

You make the decision. It's just another possibility.

There is also a website that tells you when the strikes are planned. If I can dig it up I will post it. Usually the strikes are on a schedule.

Terri

If you are interested in trying the train this is an excellant website explaining the train system. http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm We purchased a "BIRG" ticket which was 9 Euros for a two way ticket - only thing to watch out for (in addition to the strike schedule) is to be sure to validate your ticket in the yellow box before you board the train for the first time.

We rode the train from Rome to Florence, to Venice to Milan and loved it. It was wonderful fun.

Really fun watching them toss the luggage into first class coaches through the windows. :)

We rode the train from Rome to Florence, to Venice to Milan and loved it. It was wonderful fun.

Really fun watching them toss the luggage into first class coaches through the windows. :)

I doubt one would witness this on the commuter train between Civitavecchia and Rome. Mostly working people take these trains and there is only one class of service.

Terri

Archived