Researching Splendour for Med. Sept 2011

We have been looking into many differnet cruises for Sept 2011 Med cruises. We have sailed Celebrity and Carnival in the Carribean. I love the 12 day med/egypt itinerary, but the thought of staying on a small outdated ship is a little bit of a put off. I have been looking for info on the Splendour, and so far have found some pretty old looking photos and outdated looking interiors of the balcony rooms. We would most likely be looking for either a port side or aft balcony. I am wondering if the ship has been overhauled, and if so, when and what was done. If anyone has sailed her recently I would like your impressions. I searched the RCI boards for info, but have not found anything in reguards to this type of info... if you know of any links to read please post also. Thanks so much for your help.

Pam

We did a 7 day Med. cruise on Splendour in the fall of 2009, which we also chose for the itinerary. The main areas of the ship are pretty well maintained. The rooms are rather tired, and could definitely do with an overhaul, but are still acceptable. A Med. trip is pretty port intensive, so you likely won't be spending too much time on the ship as compared to other itineraries. We found that by the time we got back to the ship, had dinner, and hung out a bit, we had to go to bed because we were exhausted. If you like the itinerary, I'd go for it.

We have been looking into many differnet cruises for Sept 2011 Med cruises. We have sailed Celebrity and Carnival in the Carribean. I love the 12 day med/egypt itinerary, but the thought of staying on a small outdated ship is a little bit of a put off. I have been looking for info on the Splendour, and so far have found some pretty old looking photos and outdated looking interiors of the balcony rooms. We would most likely be looking for either a port side or aft balcony. I am wondering if the ship has been overhauled, and if so, when and what was done. If anyone has sailed her recently I would like your impressions. I searched the RCI boards for info, but have not found anything in reguards to this type of info... if you know of any links to read please post also. Thanks so much for your help.

Pam

We have sailed the Splendour and thoroughly enjoyed the ship - granted it doesn't have some of the amenities the newer ones have but she is a lovely intimate ship. It is scheduled for drydock April 2011 so should be spiffed up in time for your med cruise.

TY, Pinkkong... the itinerary looks great, though, as you said, very port intensive and busy, and I suppose we will be rather tired after hoofing it about each day. I just don't want my room to look as tired as I do :)

melbur TY for the drydock info... how do you find those types of things out? and does drydock mean refurb, or just a good once over cleaning and bottom scrape? Would be interesting to know.

UKBayern... I am glad you like her, thanks for the opinion... do you happen to have any photos? Most everything I have found has been old looking colors and decor... perhaps I am just not finding the right places to look.

We will be cruising he in May, so I can report back then. We picked Splendour for the itinerary. I had also heard that the staterooms are a bit tired, so I am expecting older type funiture, I hear they haved changed the beds across the fleet in the past few years os Splendour should have new bes, I don't know if they have changed the beddin to the new green or blue bed covers, I hope so as on the RCI website the bedovers look ver drab and dates. Maybe someone who has been on her recently can comment on this ??

I too am looking at this itinerary, but afraid of the ship condition also after being on the Mariner, Brillance, Serenade and Jewel. But I have heard to go for ports and not ship. I am trying to keep open mind but still skeptical:confused:

I did this itinerary last summer and it was a GREAT cruise. Last year the Splendour's identical sister the Legend of the Seas did the 12 night Greece/Egypt cruise. I have cruised well over 25 times on new ships, old ships, big ships and small ships and I thought the Legend was a great ship as long as you go with the expectation that this is NOT a new ship. The Legend was kept rather spotless and things onboard looked very well kept the only thing you will notice is that some of the furnishings are dated but the Legend and her sister the Splendour have a large atrium, mini golf, rock wall......so you get some of RCI's "signatures" just on a smaller scale. There are no specialty restuarants just the main dining room and the buffet.

I have to say my favorite part of the Legend of the Seas and this hold true of the Splendour is that Royal Caribbean designed these ships with LOTS of glass. The dining room especially has a two levels of floor to celeing windows. This may seem trivial but it just gave the ship a spacious, light and airy feel.

I say go for it. The itinerary is really the draw here and next year I beleive I see they are staying an overnight in Egypt which my itinerary did not have! Go for it the itinerary can be intense but they throw in a few sea days to rest up. For me it really was a great cruise.

I am attaching a link to my facebook account which has pictures of the Legend of the Seas and the ports (again the Legend and Splendour are twins....the Legend debuted in 1995 and the Splendour in 96 and I know they were recently refurbished)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=2015566&id=1323886501

I hope the link works!

swcruise... PLEASE do report back, I would love it!! I am realizing that the ports are becoming the focus of our search.

luvcruisin63... I am glad I am not alone in my hesitations, but as I have heard so much and am figuring out... the ports count. I have also been looking at a "small ship" with Princess (can I say that on the RCI boards?) they have a good looking itinerary and time frame too.

nycruiser80... TY TY TY YES your link worked and I was so happy to see your beautiful photos. There is nothing like envisioning being in those places and seeing those things, and your photos helped keep the travel fires burning so I can continue the search...

swcruise... PLEASE do report back, I would love it!! I am realizing that the ports are becoming the focus of our search.

luvcruisin63... I am glad I am not alone in my hesitations, but as I have heard so much and am figuring out... the ports count. I have also been looking at a "small ship" with Princess (can I say that on the RCI boards?) they have a good looking itinerary and time frame too.

nycruiser80... TY TY TY YES your link worked and I was so happy to see your beautiful photos. There is nothing like envisioning being in those places and seeing those things, and your photos helped keep the travel fires burning so I can continue the search...

mitchpam - I have to admit it was between Splendour Sept 2011 and that other cruise line too - we will likely go with Princess as it is definetely the itinerary that is the draw when you are doing Europe. But it was not because of the Splendour, I would sail her again in a heartbeat.

I don't know if they have changed the beddin to the new green or blue bed covers, I hope so as on the RCI website the bedovers look ver drab and dates. Maybe someone who has been on her recently can comment on this ??

We had very sofisticated shiny green bedcovers.

We had very sofisticated shiny green bedcovers.

I will be sailing on Splendour of the Seas on May 8 out of Venice for the Greek Isles. Only a seven day trip with but one sea day. I will be happy to post pictures and reports here.

Archived