Debit Card Hold?

River_Rat

I will be leaving on the Liberty May 1 for a Eastern Cruise for my Honeymoon, and was wondering how much does Carnival put a hold on your debit card per person per day? The website is not clear as to how much they will put a hold on my card.

You want to call the bank and release any restrictions that may be on that debit card.

Example-- I have a daily limit of 200.00. Carnival will put all the charges on the last day- and if it goes over the monies in the account could be frozen for a few days.

(for a 7 day cruise I think its 250.pp for the week- not per day)

One thing to watch out for using a Debit card,

~They put the initial hold (say $250pp) the Everytime you use your S&S card *that* amount goes thru too. *Then* at the end of the cruise, the amount of your SS bill goes thru... (remember the Hold will Not drop off until (5-7) business days After the final bill goes thru...so in Essense your account shows 'double' until the hold drops off.

~Found this out the hard way years ago~

We buy OnBoard Credit thu Carnival (or our TA) that way we have $$ already on there when we get on the ship, then when/if we need more credit We just put cash/travelers checks down. The Last day of the cruise, we go to the Pursers Desk and attach our debit card, then they only hold $50...that way the last night when they close out our SS and slip a check under our door (if there is anything left over) then the next day, our SS still works (since at that point its attached to the Debit card)

Just a Heads Up.

(of course if you use the same card in port the hold and the pendings could cause problems, depending on how much available you have in there....)

~Also, remember to call your bank and let them know you will be using your card out of the country, my bank has Fraud Alert, and would flag my accounts after the first "unusual transaction" and would freeze my access if they were unaware *I* was actually using my card in another country~

They put the charge through only at the end of the week, but don't they get authorization holds to ensure the charge goes through?

There is an initial hold amount, and if you charge more to your card they increase the hold amount each day, as apporpriate. If the authorization is decined, you could have your account reach its limit where you could not charge more, but I'm sure they would notify you well before that happened.

They put the charge through only at the end of the week, but don't they get authorization holds to ensure the charge goes through?

There is an initial hold amount, and if you charge more to your card they increase the hold amount each day, as apporpriate. If the authorization is decined, you could have your account reach its limit where you could not charge more, but I'm sure they would notify you well before that happened.

It shows the hold amount "Pending" which takes away from your 'available' , then at the end, the total goes thru, and the 'increased Hold is still pending, it does not go thru as the Hold. It goes thur as a seperate transaction... So, yes, it could cause you

some issues until the 'hold' comes off.

Depending on how much you spend or how many people are attached to your card, this could become an issue.

~We have a "Cruise Account" that we use only for Vacations, works out perfect~

~Also, remember to call your bank and let them know you will be using your card out of the country, my bank has Fraud Alert, and would flag my accounts after the first "unusual transaction" and would freeze my access if they were unaware *I* was actually using my card in another country~

That's a good point!

The charges coming from Carnival will appear to the bank as coming from the USA, so no worries there. But, if you use a card in a foreign port, the bank may very well assume it is fraud and block the card until you contact them. The bank will try to contact you in that case, but since you are on a cruise they likely cannot reach you.

Just make a quick call to the number on the card, and tell the bank where you are going and when, and they will make sure the block does not happen.

That's a good point!

The charges coming from Carnival will appear to the bank as coming from the USA, so no worries there. But, if you use a card in a foreign port, the bank may very well assume it is fraud and block the card until you contact them. The bank will try to contact you in that case, but since you are on a cruise they likely cannot reach you.

Just make a quick call to the number on the card, and tell the bank where you are going and when, and they will make sure the block does not happen.

I actually used my debit card @ this ship's ATM and my bank frozem my card. It was a carnival atm??? I think it's great that banks do that though.

I'd use cash instead. You could put $400-$500 on account. Carnival refunds by check any left over money in your account at the end of the cruise. I've heard too many debit card horrors. You get a receipt with each purchase on ship and you can keep track easily of what you've spent.

One thing to watch out for using a Debit card,

~They put the initial hold (say $250pp) the Everytime you use your S&S card *that* amount goes thru too. *Then* at the end of the cruise, the amount of your SS bill goes thru... (remember the Hold will Not drop off until (5-7) business days After the final bill goes thru...so in Essense your account shows 'double' until the hold drops off.

~Found this out the hard way years ago~

We buy OnBoard Credit thu Carnival (or our TA) that way we have $$ already on there when we get on the ship, then when/if we need more credit We just put cash/travelers checks down. The Last day of the cruise, we go to the Pursers Desk and attach our debit card, then they only hold $50...that way the last night when they close out our SS and slip a check under our door (if there is anything left over) then the next day, our SS still works (since at that point its attached to the Debit card)

Just a Heads Up.

(of course if you use the same card in port the hold and the pendings could cause problems, depending on how much available you have in there....)

Good explanation of the way the end holds happen. A good rule of thumb to avoid any issues with holds that may not fall off until after your charge has posted is to make sure you have double what you spend available for at least a week after the cruise. That way when you get home you don't end up with returned checks or bills that reject due to the funds not being available.

What often happens (and not just on cruises but with hotels and rental cars) is that the end charge is slightly off from the amount of the holds. The system sees a charge of let's say, $500 from Carnival clear your account. They had holds on the account for $496. Or $502. Or whatever. So the hold stays there because the system thinks another charge in that amount is pending tying up double your money. After a certain number of days when that next charge doesn't come through it drops off.

From what I've seen Carnival has never put a random hold on my card in any certain amount - the holds have happened with each purchase onboard. Where things get out of whack is that they don't always authorize for small purchases, those handwritten tickets on the Lido or in the lounge where they don't swipe your s&s, and returns to the gift shop don't credit back to the holds. Thus the problem with the holds not matching the end charge amount.

It is fairly common for hotels and rental car companies to run a flat hold amount of a couple hundred dollars to cover any damages or incidentals. Many rental car companies actually won't accept a debit card due to the hold issues.

Many rental car companies actually won't accept a debit card due to the hold issues.

Also, there are some legal protections on credit card transactions which do not apply to debit card transactions. This is mainly in the area of disputed charges.

So, if you have one, it's usually best to go for a credit rather than a debit card. Some folks get a low-limit card (maybe $500 to $1,000 limit) and use that for a vacation, and never use it otherwise.

Personally, I don't do that, but there are those who do.

As others have said, you can avoid the hassle entirely if you withdraw cash from your debit card before the cruise and set up a cash account. There are no holds and no chance of overspending!

Also, there are some legal protections on credit card transactions which do not apply to debit card transactions. This is mainly in the area of disputed charges.

So, if you have one, it's usually best to go for a credit rather than a debit card. Some folks get a low-limit card (maybe $500 to $1,000 limit) and use that for a vacation, and never use it otherwise.

Personally, I don't do that, but there are those who do.

As others have said, you can avoid the hassle entirely if you withdraw cash from your debit card before the cruise and set up a cash account. There are no holds and no chance of overspending!

I am a recent widow and cannot get a credit card because I have no credit. I always had a credit card but it was in my husbands name. I have a good steady job for years and have lived in the same place for almost 20 years but no one will help because i have no credit history. I have several accounts at the bank that are in very good standing but that doesnot matter w/o credit. How do you get credit.

I am a recent widow and cannot get a credit card because I have no credit. I always had a credit card but it was in my husbands name. I have a good steady job for years and have lived in the same place for almost 20 years but no one will help because i have no credit history. I have several accounts at the bank that are in very good standing but that doesnot matter w/o credit. How do you get credit.

Why bother ;)

We just use the debit cards, we have our 'regular accounts' (pays bills, groceries, etc) and then our "Cruise Account" --its used for fun stuff, hence the name ;)

I use my Visa checkcard at check-in. Money comes directly from my checking account. I watched closely on my last cruise since this hold issue seems to come up here a lot. There were no holds or pending transactions on my card until after I had debarked then my final bill amount went through a couple days after the cruise.

Not sure if it is because it is a Visa checkcard and not just a standard debit card or because of my bank (Wells Fargo).

I would think most banks offer visa/mastercard check cards these days. Might be something to consider for those with only debit cards and concerned about holds.

First, my condolences on the loss of your husband. I can't imagine how tough that must be!

There are a few ways to establish credit. Don't go for the major credit cards first. Try opening a department store card or gas card first. Something like JC Penney or Exxon. They are often easier to obtain. Use them and make sure you pay on time. Don't run up a huge balance but do let a small balance carry a few times even though it will cost you a few dollars in interest. It will take some time, but as these accounts have been open for a while they will get reported to the credit bureaus to establish a score for you.

The other option is what's called a "secured" credit card. It's really major credit card you put cash against to open. It gives the bank collateral in the case of poor or no credit in case the debt isn't paid. After a while of paying the payments - same thing. Be careful of the interest rates on these as the interest rate will be really high so use accordingly.

Another option, although a long shot, is to appeal to the company that held your husband's card. Especially if you were an authorized signer and can prove payment history they may be willing to go out on a limb. It's less likely than it used to be as lender's are tightening up due to all the bad debt out there but at least worth a shot.

Also ask the bank you normally deal with (you may need to talk to a supervisor in the credit card division) if they will accept alternative credit such as utility payments, etc. I know we do this in the mortgage business when people don't have credit established - we have a way to call the credit bureaus and have them verify other stuff you pay - electric, cable, car insurance, cell phone, etc. It won't give you a credit score, but if a bank will issue you a card based on that then that card will start to build your credit up. Also more likely to issue you credit would be smaller, local banks vs. the big banks.

Expect a low limit and a high interest rate to start on most anything but it's a way to get started. Hope this helps - good luck with getting yourself established.

I use my Visa checkcard at check-in. Money comes directly from my checking account. I watched closely on my last cruise since this hold issue seems to come up here a lot. There were no holds or pending transactions on my card until after I had debarked then my final bill amount went through a couple days after the cruise.

Not sure if it is because it is a Visa checkcard and not just a standard debit card or because of my bank (Wells Fargo).

I would think most banks offer visa/mastercard check cards these days. Might be something to consider for those with only debit cards and concerned about holds.

The hold issue still happens on the visa/mastercard check cards. It can also be somewhat random depending on how the processing goes at any given time and isn't dependent on the particular bank. So you might see nothing on one cruise (or several) and then have it happen on another. It could also be that your charges actually matched the hold amount at the end so you never saw the hold - it dropped off when the charge posted.

I've seen way too many people overdraw because of this type thing. :p

First, my condolences on the loss of your husband. I can't imagine how tough that must be!

There are a few ways to establish credit. Don't go for the major credit cards first. Try opening a department store card or gas card first. Something like JC Penney or Exxon. They are often easier to obtain. Use them and make sure you pay on time. Don't run up a huge balance but do let a small balance carry a few times even though it will cost you a few dollars in interest. It will take some time, but as these accounts have been open for a while they will get reported to the credit bureaus to establish a score for you.

The other option is what's called a "secured" credit card. It's really major credit card you put cash against to open. It gives the bank collateral in the case of poor or no credit in case the debt isn't paid. After a while of paying the payments - same thing. Be careful of the interest rates on these as the interest rate will be really high so use accordingly.

Another option, although a long shot, is to appeal to the company that held your husband's card. Especially if you were an authorized signer and can prove payment history they may be willing to go out on a limb. It's less likely than it used to be as lender's are tightening up due to all the bad debt out there but at least worth a shot.

Also ask the bank you normally deal with (you may need to talk to a supervisor in the credit card division) if they will accept alternative credit such as utility payments, etc. I know we do this in the mortgage business when people don't have credit established - we have a way to call the credit bureaus and have them verify other stuff you pay - electric, cable, car insurance, cell phone, etc. It won't give you a credit score, but if a bank will issue you a card based on that then that card will start to build your credit up. Also more likely to issue you credit would be smaller, local banks vs. the big banks.

Expect a low limit and a high interest rate to start on most anything but it's a way to get started. Hope this helps - good luck with getting yourself established.

I'll testify to these truths. I went the Secured CC route and now have a fantastic Credit Score. The 'entry-level cards' work, too but I trust my Credit Union more than any average credit company.

The Last day of the cruise, we go to the Pursers Desk and attach our debit card, then they only hold $50...that way the last night when they close out our SS and slip a check under our door (if there is anything left over) then the next day, our SS still works (since at that point its attached to the Debit card)

Just so I am understanding this correctly. After they issue your check on the last night, you no longer can buy anything onboard. So the last night, we will want to go to the Pursers Desk and give them a CC so that we will be able to buy things that last evening and next morning. Being the end of the cruise, the hold is smaller.

Just so I am understanding this correctly. After they issue your check on the last night, you no longer can buy anything onboard. So the last night, we will want to go to the Pursers Desk and give them a CC so that we will be able to buy things that last evening and next morning. Being the end of the cruise, the hold is smaller.

Yes, they close the 'cash' S&S accounts (at something like) 2am the last night (it still works till then), and put a check for any remaining amount under your door with your final 'bill' or tally. So we go down (early the day befor) and attach our card. Each time they have only put a $50 hold. That way, the day you get back to port if you want a foofoo coffee, or want to buy a last minute picture, or (like happened to us on two cruise) your are delayed getting back to port, your card still works.

:)

I'll be watching for it starting next Sun when I'm on the Spirit for 12 days! :D

I am so jealous!!!! We just did a land trip to Hawaii in Feb. and I fell in love with the islands. Can't wait to go back one day - whether it be land or cruise. :)

Thanks for all the info!

This was a big confusing. In the end, we decided that there was too much uncertainty about the amount of the hold and how long it stays. So cash it is!

I think we have it all figured out now!

Cash at the beginning of the cruise and CC early Saturday morning.

Glad to have a plan!

Is there a standard amount that Carnival sets such as $X per person per day? Would you need to put down the same amount in cash if you choose to go that route (cash seems the best way to go to me from what I'm reading here)?

Is there a standard amount that Carnival sets such as $X per person per day? Would you need to put down the same amount in cash if you choose to go that route (cash seems the best way to go to me from what I'm reading here)?

I think for a 5nighter the amount they (recommend) authorize (on a creditcard/debit card etc) is $200 pp.

We usually put as much as we can, more then we think we will need. Then we get the check back at the end, if there is any left over... or have (whatever amount) charged to our card (that we attached the last day)--just what works for us.

I also like feeling like a lot was "prepaid" (tips, onboard credit, excursions, hotels, etc) so we pay as much as possible beforehand.

We buy OnBoard Credit thru our TravelAgent, but if you book thru Canrival, you can do it thru them.

Archived